BF3 multicore support...suspicion of only up to 3cores..

GenTarkin

Limp Gawd
Lately after looking around at BF3 cpu scaling reviews, and this one points it out best(but the same pattern remains in all cpu BF3 tests from what Ive found):
http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.html

If you remember, windows bounces around threads on cores, thats why even when running a dual threaded task on a quad core system...task manager will show cpu utilization yet all cores in system will be right around 50% .. whereas we all know its really running like 2 cores @ 100%
This same exact pattern exists in the link provided above. Youll notice that the dual core CPU's are pegged at 100%, then quads are right around 70%(have to chop that in half for intel HT enabled cpu's so...that leaves about 30-35%). The hex cpu's are right around 50% and the final 8 core cpu is right around 45%...
The only oddball that doesnt add up is the FX8150, which should be at 30-35%...Im thinkin perhaps it was doing something else in background at time this SS was taken.
Now call me crazy but.......
These values all point to 3 threads at 100%
...these same patterns have shown in other reviews as well.

The only real way I can think to confirm this is take a quad core cpu and clock it really low, with a nice video card...MAKE SURE its being bottlenecked by the cpu by confirming the vidcard is not at 95-100% utilization.
When the above is sustained, open task manager and if CPU is still aroun 70-75%...then it DEFINITELY does NOT scale beyond 3 threads.

Now, this may be different in multiplayer, because most reviews dont do the cpu scaling test in multiplayer. But either way...I find it VERY odd....

any testing done in BF3 single player is completely useless to me.

Single player I get 70 to 85 fps Multiplayer I get 45 - 60.

no matter what I do I can't get solid Multiplayer FPS.
2650x1600 all low settings gets me 45-60.
1920x1200 all low settings gets me 50-65.
1440x900 all low settings gets me 55-65.

Single player at these resolutions see's Major jumps where at 1440x900 I'm in the 140 range.

Not a huge issue just strange and makes people doing testing in single player pointless. Low settings at 2650x1600 looks very good and 45-60 is very playable.

also my CPU rarely goes above 50%

Last edited:
Agreed. Single player is worthless. I see 80-85% CPU use often in multiplayer, sometimes in the 90s on Caspian Border.

Usually when I look at my task manager when I alt-tab out of bf3 my 4 cpus on 2500k are around 85- 100 %.
People actually play and bench from sp in bf3 ?

Usually when I look at my task manager when I alt-tab out of bf3 my 4 cpus on 2500k are around 85- 100 %.
People actually play and bench from sp in bf3 ?
Yep that sounds correct^ and LOL @ sp benchmarks.

Here's my CPU usage with a [email protected] HT off in a full 64 person Caspian Border server...

5201settings.png

Back