Shasoosh

n00b
Those are my specs:

E6750
GIGABYTE-P35DS3
9800GT-1GB
WD1TB
G.SKILL 6144MB GBPK

i used that computer for gaming more then 4 years now but with BF3 on 1920x1080 i get 20 FPS while everything on LOW
Getting a new computer right now is not really in the budget and i was wondering how good it will do me if I'll get something like GTX560 TI 1GB.
Will i feel a big improvement or do you think that my CPU will hold me back?

Thanks

Yes it would be a big improvement, however, your cpu will also be a big bottleneck, so how much real improvement you get is questionable.

It'll help the graphics significantly, but it won't make a whole lot of difference overall because of the CPU. Can you find a used quad to drop in there also?

definitely replace the cpu, it will add a good 15 fps going from dual to quad. if you can overclock that 9800GT you should be able to run the game at 40-50fps on medium/low settings with a quad core. i know i was able to run the beta fine with my 8800GT overclocked to 736/1728/1000. only dipped into the high 20's/30's when i was sitting in the entrance to the tunnel section looking outside.

I feel you, I'm on an E6400 at 3.GHZ with a 460gtx. It's killing me. Dont have the money for an upgrade though

The game really really needs a quad core. I'm getting 40-60 fps on medium with this 5770 I'm stuck using.

Definitely need a quad core for bf3. Even my Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz is hanging in there. 30-45 fps avg on 32 player servers. All settings on high, game is beautiful with no stutters. I had textures on ultra but turned it down because it was taking the game literally 5 minutes to load a map every time.

Q6600, 4gb ram, HD6950 2GB. 1920x1080

Justifies that E6600 vs Q6600 purchase I made so long ago. One hell of a chip.

One option is to try running at a lower resolution. If the frame rate goes up, then you are at least partially limited by your graphics card. I know, I know, running at a lower, non-native resolution is ugly. But there's nothing uglier than trying to play with 20 FPS or less, so do what you've got to do!

At the minimum you need that dual core overclocked to atleast 3.5ghz to make a difference, and even then your video card will limit you to the lowest settings at a resolution of less than 1600x1200. I know this because my rig in my sig barely pulls off 35-40 fps at stock speed, and my GPU is near the same performance levels. I run at 1600x1200 res at all low settings and some turned off with AF set at 2x maximum.
Even a slow quad like a q6600 running at stock speeds will run circles around your dual core in this game, even if the dual is overclocked like a banshee.

I thought my E6600 would never get outdated, but it really got. However, it took years.

Yeesh, guess my 8400 is strugglin then. With my current motherboard (sig), what is the best Quad I can put in this? and do they still make it?

Man, I don't wanna have to upgrade again, but the 8400 had it's time in the sun.

A balanced upgrade to a better GPU and CPU will help, try and aim for a quad core and mid range GPU and you'll get away with medium-high settings with a good frame rate.

Get a q6600 used or a yorkfield if you can find it cheap. Maybe a Q8400? Try turning the resolution all the way down as well, see what kind of FPS you get then. It might be just the GPU, but I doubt it.

I agree with everyone who said go quad.... I did for BCBF2 and it made a huge difference. I'll bet BC3 is chewing up your rig. I went from an E6600 and there was no looking back.

Dude, go out and sell your ass a couple of times so you can afford a new rig...that's what I did.

wait, wut?

I guess i have no choice but to buy a new setup. I don't want to settle for medium.with BF3 I want to ULTRA the mothafucka! Is there a spec or something i can look at so i'll know what CPU and GPU to choose in order to play it maxed out on 1920x1080 ?

Out of curiosity what fps do you get at 720p? I can't seem to get greater than 20fps at 720p on all low (9800GTX+). I have a i7 920 at 4.2 GHZ so the cpu is not the problem.

Out of curiosity what fps do you get at 720p? I can't seem to get greater than 20fps at 720p on all low (9800GTX+). I have a i7 920 at 4.2 GHZ so the cpu is not the problem.

That kick ass CPU DEMANDS a GPU upgrade. This game demands that justice. Finish it! ;)

That kick ass CPU DEMANDS a GPU upgrade. This game demands that justice. Finish it! ;)

Eh, I had a GTX 470 SoC until I installed watercooling... I can't justify buying another GPU with kepler so close.

Play on a lower resolution and see if that improves your framerates... but your PC is getting old.

screw BF3
MW3 runs great
Batman runs great
Skyrim runs GREAT
everything on high, 1920x1080 with no aa.
I'm not giving up on it just yet because BF3 is way too demanding.

BF3 wants quad core. Dual cores will not give you sufficient boost even with a 560Ti.

screw BF3
MW3 runs great
Batman runs great
Skyrim runs GREAT
everything on high, 1920x1080 with no aa.
I'm not giving up on it just yet because BF3 is way too demanding.

MW3 is like a 10 year old engine.
Batman is Unreal 3 ~ 5 years old.
Skyrim - although they says it's new, I believe they reworked the same engine Oblivion used.

BF3 - PC developed engine with DX11, tesselation, etc. BF3 is the first DX11 / PC developed game in awhile and a better indication of PC performance than any of the other older engines you mentioned. Also, dont use MSLAA, use Post AA there is like 0 performance hit and looks great in motion.

Well problem is just cause something is new doesnt mean everyone are almost forced to upgrade a decent 2,3 year old computer that runs most games perfect. Look at batman its still a very good looking game on dx9 only and still runs good, i think bf3 graphics are so overrated and u need a monster gpu and a quad core to even get decent framerates on HD resolutions.

Those are my specs:

E6750
GIGABYTE-P35DS3
9800GT-1GB
WD1TB
G.SKILL 6144MB GBPK

i used that computer for gaming more then 4 years now but with BF3 on 1920x1080 i get 20 FPS while everything on LOW
Getting a new computer right now is not really in the budget and i was wondering how good it will do me if I'll get something like GTX560 TI 1GB.
Will i feel a big improvement or do you think that my CPU will hold me back?

Thanks

Dude, I got the exact same cpu, but I also have a ATI 5850. The game stutters and has frame rate issues no matter what settings I use on my system, so the videocard is NOT the problem, it's the older 2-core cpu we both have. It was great before, but times change. So do yourself a favor, get a new motherboard/cpu before the videocard, this game needs a quad core, I don't give a shit what anyone says. My videocard is just fine for this game, but my cpu/ram is the bottleneck right now. You won't get that much more performance out of a new card sadly. C2D just doesn't cut it for games like BF3 :-/.

I ran the beta on my E6750 + HD5850 and it ran acceptably on Medium @ 1900x1200. I doubt that the larger maps would run as well as Metro did though, but a video card upgrade should make it livable at Med/Low settings @ 1080p.

I upgraded just for BF3 and it's been spectacular. Even installed it on my SSD...maps load in about 2-3 seconds on server change.

The cheapest (but not super effective) upgrade path for you would be finding a cheap used Q9550 and overclock it to at least 3.2GHz. Then invest into a cheap GTX 460 1GB. Don't expect to play at high but I think that system would be able to play 1080p at medium/low settings with ~40 FPS.

Nuke the fuc#$! You want ULTRA, you go SLI or you GO HOME.

Why don't get with the team and come on in for the big win? Slap that cash on the barrel head and tell that best buy clerk you want not just one, but two 580 GPUS or a GTX590. And when the clerk looks at like you lobsters are crawling out of your ears because she doesn't know what that shit is and bestbuy has and never will carry such magical devices, get your ass on Newegg and get er done. You smell that? Smells like victory to me.

I guess i have no choice but to buy a new setup. I don't want to settle for medium.with BF3 I want to ULTRA the mothafucka! Is there a spec or something i can look at so i'll know what CPU and GPU to choose in order to play it maxed out on 1920x1080 ?

6950 in Crossfire the minumum, to max out BF3 (with max AA) at 1080p with 60 FPS average.

I agree, a quad core cpu, or atleast one of the new i3's would do too.

Strange. I'm using an E6600, 2GB RAM, AMD5850, and Samsung 830 256GB system and its running very well. I would think it's your GPU that's the most limiting factor.

Those are my specs:

E6750
GIGABYTE-P35DS3
9800GT-1GB
WD1TB
G.SKILL 6144MB GBPK

I just upgraded from the same specs. I had a E6750 with a Gigabyte P35DS3P but I upgraded my video card last year to a GTX460. I upgraded to a i7-2600k and kept the GTX460 and the difference with the new CPU is huge. It's well worth the upgrade.

Back