BF3 Config Utility

NICE!!! How do I send that guy some kind of appreciation or something?

I don't see anything in there that you can't adjust in the game.

Yeah well there are several benefits to not doing it in game. One is that, for some folks, the game tends to crash every time you change settings in game. Another is that you have access to more detailed tweaks like we did in BC2. Plus, he is adding other changes that you can't do in the game menu like KEY BINDS.

I don't see anything in there that you can't adjust in the game.
That's not necessarily a bad thing though. For me, its nice being able to change settings without having to actually connect to a server, log in, wait for the game to load, and then being able to change things. It has a nifty FOV calculator as well.

Thanks for pointing this out!

like KEY BINDS.

This is still broken from the BETA?
I've only had the game for 1 day and didn't even try changing keys yet. From what I remember it was specific buttons, mainly mouse buttons, that couldn't be remapped. Cant check it now since I'm at work.

Either way, I'm downloading that tool. How awesome. Great find OP, thanks!

Key Binds? So I can map something to my mouses "back" button now? EDIT, not now, but soon I guess. Will keep an eye on it.

Key Binds? So I can map something to my mouses "back" button now? EDIT, not now, but soon I guess. Will keep an eye on it.

You should have been able to since day one. I remapped my mouse "back" button to knife.

Um I had no problem with binding that button with my g9x or my naga.

I can bind mouse back on some mice and not others all are logitech. It is annoying I also have an issue in BF3 where 1 of the binds has a bunch of random letters and I cannot seem to rebind it. Sad we need to resort to a tool for this sort of thing but I guess it is better than nothing.

Yeah, this is something I would like fixed. I have 7 buttons on my mouse and I can only bind 5 of them. I was able to bind all of them back in BF2. It's aggravating that new game take steps backwards.

If he finds a way to make it where I can get spotting and commrose separated to two different buttons I will be absolutely giddy.

Yeah well there are several benefits to not doing it in game. One is that, for some folks, the game tends to crash every time you change settings in game. Another is that you have access to more detailed tweaks like we did in BC2. Plus, he is adding other changes that you can't do in the game menu like KEY BINDS.

i get those crashes only when crossfire is enabled which is all the time :)

I wonder if we will be able to turn bloom off. I do not see anything in the config file yet. That effect really sucks on some maps like grand bazaar.

can't bind my mouse back button to knife like i could in bfbc2 either :/

Looks like you can disable "enlighten" and turn contrast to 50% to get rid of bloom per mindweaver. Someone try that will you? I can't play bf3 at work.

You should have been able to since day one. I remapped my mouse "back" button to knife.

I cannot map my back button at all. It doesnt register. I have a logitech G5 laser mouse. :mad: I never installed official logitech drivers, I just let Windows 7 auto detect it. Maybe I'll grab drivers from logitechs site.

I cannot map my back button at all. It doesnt register. I have a logitech G5 laser mouse. :mad: I never installed official logitech drivers, I just let Windows 7 auto detect it. Maybe I'll grab drivers from logitechs site.

I have the same mouse, have installed those drivers, and found that it did enable the left side buttons.

Dude this is slick as snot. I dig it! Thanks for posting the link.

Very easy and convenient. I'm quite eager to see what the future holds for it because I basically am never going to bother with the game's menus again now thanks to this.

Very easy and convenient. I'm quite eager to see what the future holds for it because I basically am never going to bother with the game's menus again now thanks to this.

This is also another reason why I love PC gaming. :D (no flame bait - consoles are delicious candy, too)

"Added New "Enlighten" setting on the Graphics Tab. This setting is not in the Game Settings."

Apparently this deals with lens flares/the sun and their brightness. Turning it on makes them brighter, and it seems to be on by default. Turning it off now to see how much of a difference it makes.

"Added New "Enlighten" setting on the Graphics Tab. This setting is not in the Game Settings."

Apparently this deals with lens flares/the sun and their brightness. Turning it on makes them brighter, and it seems to be on by default. Turning it off now to see how much of a difference it makes.

Please report back when you can. I HATE that lens flare BS!

Please report back when you can. I HATE that lens flare BS!

I've only played a short amount of time so far, but it seems to make the sun much less blinding. I was able to look straight at the sun and still see stuff in the environment around it. It's still there, and it's still a disadvantage to be looking into the sun, but you're not *completely* blinded while doing it with "Enlighten" set to 0.

I've only played a short amount of time so far, but it seems to make the sun much less blinding. I was able to look straight at the sun and still see stuff in the environment around it. It's still there, and it's still a disadvantage to be looking into the sun, but you're not *completely* blinded while doing it with "Enlighten" set to 0.

Good. I took down that update and immediately unchecked that setting myself so I'm glad to hear that it works the way I'd more or less hoped.

How about tac lights? Will my eyes actually not bleed if someone shines one at me now, too?

Good. I took down that update and immediately unchecked that setting myself so I'm glad to hear that it works the way I'd more or less hoped.

How about tac lights? Will my eyes actually not bleed if someone shines one at me now, too?

Not so sure about tac lights, I was playing with a friend on a mostly empty server so I didn't have much opportunity to test that. He had the tac light equipped and it seemed the same from a distance, but up-close it may be toned down just like the sun. I'd assume lasers would be the same, but I'll have to play more to find out.

I worry that the powers that be might lock on to this, considering it has the potential of giving an unfair advantage it seems. Thoughts?

Last edited:
^^

It's possible, I don't know if servers can kick for certain settings or not, but if they can then I imagine it would be up to server admins whether they want to or not. I doubt EA would enforce a certain setting if it's possible to change it at all.

I worry that the powers that be might lock on to this, considering it has the potential of giving a unfair advantage it seems. Thoughts?

I don't see why. If the effect is still there, just not completely overblown like it is by default, then that would seem to be "working as intended" since it doesn't appear to remove it entirely.

Will this let me add and save console commands? Really annoying having to type out 4 commands every time I join a new server.

Because DICE, in their infinite wisdom have decided to make a key binding system as an afterthought for BF3, we as gamers need to work around this indiscretion and make the game playable to our standards. This begins with control schemes.

GstKeyBinding.default = common controls
GstKeyBinding.heli = heli controls
GstKeyBinding.infantry = infantry controls
GstKeyBinding.jet = jet controls
GstKeyBinding.mav = ground vehicle controls

GstKeyBinding.[type].[command].0 = Keyboard
GstKeyBinding.[type].[command].1 = Mouse
GstKeyBinding.[type].[command].2 = Joystick/Gamepad

Now I'd like to know what buttons are mapped to what. For example, currently,
GstKeyBinding.default.ConceptCommMenu1.0.axis 0
GstKeyBinding.default.ConceptCommMenu1.0.button 46
GstKeyBinding.default.ConceptCommMenu1.0.negate 0
GstKeyBinding.default.ConceptCommMenu1.0.type 0
I believe controls the commo rose for 'Q', which I historically have used for sprinting and would love to get that to a different button.

Here are a list of known buttons for the keyboard. I assume mice and joysticks/gamepads will have a variety of different control schemes that each user will have to figure out. I will update this image as I get more information.

bf3kb.jpg

So..any options in this that should be turned down/off that result in almost no graphical difference?

I get 50FPS mostly with some dips to 45, but improvement is always awesome!

Back