BF2: When is it OK to team kill?

NulloModo

Supreme [H]ardness
So, lately I have really gotten into BF2 since I picked it up for the 360. Actually, I first got into the demo, but it is such a cool game I decided to buy the full version.

However, when you are playing, even if you aren't supposed to, sometimes the situation comes up when you accidentally kill one of the members of your squad. Usually if it is an accident people are cool about itl, and realize it was just that, I have had a few incidents where I have been voted to get kicked for something I really had no intention of doing though.

There are the main scenarios where it seems to happen:

1. Somone tries to jump into a vehicle you are driving you and run them over instead
2. You initiate an artillery strike on an area rich in enemies and an ally wanders in, or just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time
3. Heavy fire situations and someone just walks in front of you when they shouldn't.

I can understand all of these, and they don't really piss me off, though I have gotten voted to get kicked for running over a member of my team once. But then there are the grey areas. I generally like to play as the 'support' troop (I like the machine gun) and I make use of the mortar strike whenever I can. There have been a couple times playing siege where I ordered a morter strike on the flag to get rid of an enemy tank, but it was blown away just as the strike cleared, and of course somehow two or three of the people on my team ran in just to just bombed away. Somehow I always seem to get blamed for that.

It seems to me there is a clear difference between intentionally shooting people up, and having them accidentally walk into a bombing zone you ordered. What about the rest of you, how personal do you take it when friendly fire accidents occur?

wondering if the Xbox version has the STUPID bug where our allies has a red name tag so he looks like the enemy and you kill him and lose so much points.... SIGH. :rolleyes:

I am awaiting the next patch.. come on whoever releases the patch! fix this thing! ;)

aZn_plyR said:
wondering if the Xbox version has the STUPID bug where our allies has a red name tag so he looks like the enemy and you kill him and lose so much points.... SIGH. :rolleyes:

I am awaiting the next patch.. come on whoever releases the patch! fix this thing! ;)

No, the Xbox version allies are all blue, enemies are red (that took me a few rounds to figure out in the demo... I thought the Chinese were always red and the Americans were always blue....) except for when you are in a tank, then you can't see colors, well, sometimes you can, no clue what makes it so you can or can't. or when the enemy is in a vehicle at a distance, makes it tough to decide if you want to fire on helicopters or not, since more often than not they are shooting everything up with missle ally or enemy.

NulloModo said:
No, the Xbox version allies are all blue, enemies are red (that took me a few rounds to figure out in the demo... I thought the Chinese were always red and the Americans were always blue....)
That's how it is in bf2 (pc i mean), always has been. It confused a lot of people when it first came out.

What the poster above was talking about was this: there's this bug in the pc version where sometimes (i've never gotten it actually) your teammates will show with red tags. He was wondering if it was in the xbox version too.

There's really only two types of team kills that tempt me to go on the warpath:

1. When a friendly pilot repeatedly bombs me at a flag, obviously neglecting to even glance at his map before making blind flag drops.

2. Commanders that shell anywhere they please and expect everyone to drop everything and run away at their whim. I'm talking about when commanders shell a flag my squad has been fighting at for a good minute or two, obviously neglecting to check the area or not caring. In most cases, yes, we could move away from the blast area. But sometimes when you're in the thick of an ongoing firefight at a flag there's just not the opportunity, and falling back often negates any advantage you've gained. Or worse yet, gets you killed. I normally find that dropping supplies on a squad about to capture a flag instead of bombs is slightly more effective. :confused:

Then there's intentional TKing, which I will usually try to ignore but will sometimes switch teams and devote an entire round to hammering one individual. Most other teamkills are just part of the Battefield experience: frequent and usually inexplicable death.

Khantrah said:
There's really only two types of team kills that tempt me to go on the warpath:

1. When a friendly pilot repeatedly bombs me at a flag, obviously neglecting to even glance at his map before making blind flag drops.

2. Commanders that shell anywhere they please and expect everyone to drop everything and run away at their whim. I'm talking about when commanders shell a flag my squad has been fighting at for a good minute or two, obviously neglecting to check the area or not caring. In most cases, yes, we could move away from the blast area. But sometimes when you're in the thick of an ongoing firefight at a flag there's just not the opportunity, and falling back often negates any advantage you've gained. Or worse yet, gets you killed. I normally find that dropping supplies on a squad about to capture a flag instead of bombs is slightly more effective. :confused:

Then there's intentional TKing, which I will usually try to ignore but will sometimes switch teams and devote an entire round to hammering one individual. Most other teamkills are just part of the Battefield experience: frequent and usually inexplicable death.

Today was actually the first time I voted to have a guy kicked for team-killing, or at least wanted to, I couldn't really figure out how to, but he blew me away from his tank 3 times in a row, that is just being neglectful in my opinion. I will admit I will initiate an artillery strike if there is just one ally in an area surrounded by baddies, but more than that and I hold off. Occasional team kills I can accept as something that just happens, and I have shot down team-mates copters before just because the game has this issue where it doesn't want to show you if a copter is friend or foe, and if it is shooting hear me, I assume it is foe.

I dont use artillery if there are more than 3 people in an enemy rich area. Any thing less than that...well they'll prolly die anyways.

I've teamkilled to get health and ammo before...Its not that hard to drop a back...and Im standing right there next to the guy..they look at me and then start to run off and even after I follow em they still won't help. And the way I look at it, its either me or them.

Then theres those guys who shoot you if your waiting for an apc, tank, vehicle or etc. That just pisses me off, so they shoot me, i shoot back and i shoot to kill.

hity645 said:
I dont use artillery if there are more than 3 people in an enemy rich area. Any thing less than that...well they'll prolly die anyways.

I've teamkilled to get health and ammo before...Its not that hard to drop a back...and Im standing right there next to the guy..they look at me and then start to run off and even after I follow em they still won't help. And the way I look at it, its either me or them.

Then theres those guys who shoot you if your waiting for an apc, tank, vehicle or etc. That just pisses me off, so they shoot me, i shoot back and i shoot to kill.

The ones who really piss me off are the ones who shoot you when you are the first to convert a flag. I mean, I am lying on the ground, no enemies around, and suddenly I get SMGed to death (which also brings up my issue about peopole who place Special Forces all the time, I mean, there is nothing good there other than the speed)...

They follow the shoot first, ask questions later.

I follow the shoot me and I shoot back.

Back