BF2 stinger - why do i suck so bad

denaps

Limp Gawd
let me first start by saying that I have my stinger badge/ribbon, so i don't suck THAT bad. however, whenever in the stinger i find myself reading "Team Vehicle Damage" a lot more than i would like to see, occasionally destroying a teammates plane or chopper. then, of course, since everyone has a goddam hardon about punishing, i get punished even though i always apologize.

the problem is, i feel like I can watch some of these stinger missles and they come nowhere NEAR my team. sometimes it will say "You killed XXX" who is any enemy, then say team vehicle damage right after that.

does anyone else have this problem, or am i just trigger happy and not paying attention to the stray missles that are somehow finding their way to friendly aircraft even though i can't see any on the screen?

Before the 1.03 patch I got the same thing all the damn time. Especially if there was one of my teammates in a plane chasing after a Mig or something. Soon as the Mig was out of range the rockets went after my teammate and almost always killed them. They have said they made the ground to air weapons much more effective against "fast movers" aka, planes. So hopefully it will get better. I noticed yesterday on Wake Island I wasn't damaging or killing any teammates with the stinger.

i haven't played the new patch enough yet to notice (in fact i haven't even tried the stinger yet) but i hope you are right. it wouldn't be so bad if i didn't ALWAYS get punished. it's an accident! it was rare that there was a mature pilot, but i think 2 times (out of 33 (yes i'm keeping track)) i was forgiven. says something about the people playing...

thanks for the input

No prob. You can see it when you fire a rocket with the stinger, they track much better and much faster than they used to. I used to even have a hard time bringing down some heli's, but now if i get that "locked on" beep and they havent dropped their flares, they're toast.

I must be terrible. I sat in the stinger site on Dalian Plant for 3 rounds tonight and didn't down a single jet. I hit a helicopter a couple of times, but overall I felt pretty useless. The chinese jet just kept flying around. After the 20th or so missle that failed to hit he stopped popping flares when flying by me.

PS I am waiting until I have tone. What else do I need to do?

the stinger site still sucks even with the latest patch. problem one is its stationary and the pilots have memorized where all the sites or most of them are at so they know exactly where to bomb and where to attack. anything "mounted " and not mobile will be useless. snipers can pick you off also. the attack helocopters have so much fire power chances are they can take you down before you get the second stinger shot off. this games needs shoulder mounted stingers just like dc had. it will even the playing field. just my opinion.

I used to be able to get some pretty nice kill counts when using the SAM sites before but now I'm lucky to take down even 1 aircraft in a round of aggressive AA usage. The missles are better now at chasing down their target but they just don't seem to do much damage anymore. For people that did not know how to use them before its still an improvement, but for anyone that had the missles figured out, they seem to be mostly neutered and generally nothing more than an annoyance to pilots reguuardless of how good the gunner is. It also doesn't help that choppers now reload flares at the exact same rate that rockets reload.

cgrant26 said:
I used to be able to get some pretty nice kill counts when using the SAM sites before but now I'm lucky to take down even 1 aircraft in a round of aggressive AA usage. The missles are better now at chasing down their target but they just don't seem to do much damage anymore. For people that did not know how to use them before its still an improvement, but for anyone that had the missles figured out, they seem to be mostly neutered and generally nothing more than an annoyance to pilots reguuardless of how good the gunner is. It also doesn't help that choppers now reload flares at the exact same rate that rockets reload.

I agree with this, I found that it was taking me 4 missles istead of my usual 2. They just seam to be much weaker now.

The AA still sucks hardcore. I went 58-7 on the wake island map in one of the jets. Most of those deaths were from me crashing into trees too.

dee-vee said:
The AA still sucks hardcore. I went 58-7 on the wake island map in one of the jets. Most of those deaths were from me crashing into trees too.
As China or US?

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
I agree with this, I found that it was taking me 4 missles istead of my usual 2. They just seam to be much weaker now.

In all honesty, you probably aren't hitting them when you think you are. I fly Jets all the time. Maybe once every 20 rounds i'll get taken out by a stinger. You just bank and hit the flares. Next fly around pop the guy sitting there. If you know how to fly, you're not getting chased by another jet, and you haven't just spent you cache of flares, the SAM's are real easy to aviod.

1st. The AA still sucks vs. planes. It might be a hair better vs. helicopters, but it doesn't need to be.

2nd. The team damage issue you're referring to is something I consider a bug. This is how it has worked from day 1, and how it still appears to work.

Step #1. Lock on to enemy target.
Step #2. Fire one or more stingers.
Step #3. Enemy drops flares.
Step #4. Instead of switching targets from the exhaust of the enemy plane to one of the flares, the stinger almost always immediately switches target to the NEAREST FRIENDLY TARGET.
Step #5. The friendly target gets no lockon warning, so no chance to drop flare, even if they had quick enough reflexes.
Step #6. The stinger(s) slam into your teammate, blowing his ass out of the air, making him very pissed at you, even though you had no intention of trying to hit him.
Step #7. Your teammate, being the typical asshole you run into online, punishes you for the teamkill even though it was obviously not intentional.

Add that to the fact that the stingers have a very hard time hitting any jet pilot who knows his stuff and you end up with an undefended carrier, or a carrier defense that is just as likely to shoot down its own aircraft as it is the enemy.

Rather amazed it wasn't addressed in this patch, frankly.

AA turrets still suck. I generally lock onto a target and wait for them to drop flares before firing. It helps sometimes, but if its a jet then chances are it's already gone. Works better vs helicopters.

eastvillager said:
1st. The AA still sucks vs. planes. It might be a hair better vs. helicopters, but it doesn't need to be.

2nd. The team damage issue you're referring to is something I consider a bug. This is how it has worked from day 1, and how it still appears to work.

Step #1. Lock on to enemy target.
Step #2. Fire one or more stingers.
Step #3. Enemy drops flares.
Step #4. Instead of switching targets from the exhaust of the enemy plane to one of the flares, the stinger almost always immediately switches target to the NEAREST FRIENDLY TARGET.
Step #5. The friendly target gets no lockon warning, so no chance to drop flare, even if they had quick enough reflexes.
Step #6. The stinger(s) slam into your teammate, blowing his ass out of the air, making him very pissed at you, even though you had no intention of trying to hit him.
Step #7. Your teammate, being the typical asshole you run into online, punishes you for the teamkill even though it was obviously not intentional.

Add that to the fact that the stingers have a very hard time hitting any jet pilot who knows his stuff and you end up with an undefended carrier, or a carrier defense that is just as likely to shoot down its own aircraft as it is the enemy.

Rather amazed it wasn't addressed in this patch, frankly.

this is the long, detailed, and very CORRECT version of what i was posting about. i hope they fix this soon. in the meantime, i'm out of the stinger and practicing my piloting skills.

While I have had this problem with the Stinger's I have it happen alot more with the Sidewinder Missiles!

I am flying after another jet, fire 2 or 3 sidwinders.
Flares drop
Sidewinders head off into the sky...
Only to lock on to a fully loaded helio and cost me -14 on TKs!

I have not played BF2 in a long time, but there is an effective way to use the stingers. When you lock on to a target, do not fire right away, the guy in the Helo or Jet is going to get the lock on sound and drop flares as soon as you achieve lock. Let him drop his round of flares, quickly retarget and as soon as the boxes disapear from the flare pieces fire, it will most likely be too soon for him to lauch another volley of flares.

Jets are hard to kill from the ground. I'm only successful when they dive straight at me and I loose 2 into thier nose (before the bombs hit :( )

BF2 n00b question, how do you know if you've been punished?

How do you punish someone else?

No, I won't RTFM on principle.

I ask because I was doing pretty good with the stinger the other day until a friendly jet flew between me and a dead bang sitting-duck chopper (after the missiles were in the air) and got hisself kersploded.

I got me a minus in that second score column (what ever the hell it is, seems to be objective related), and despite no more friendly damage, and couple of capture assists, it went even lower a short time later.

Plus I got grenaded by a friendly, and I got a "you have chosen not to punish..." message a little later, I was like "I did?", how does that work?

I wouldn't have punished anyway, as far as I'm concerned the occassional TK is part and parcel of any hectic action type game, shit happens (and if it's happening too often the game should take care of it itself).

weebling1 said:
Jets are hard to kill from the ground. I'm only successful when they dive straight at me and I loose 2 into thier nose (before the bombs hit :( )
That's why I use my canons on AA sites. I know where they are, and if I see the box on them when I'm in bomb mode, I lay into them with guns first, saving the bombs for armored targets.

MartinX said:
BF2 n00b question, how do you know if you've been punished?

How do you punish someone else?
You get a message in game

No, I won't RTFM on principle.

I ask because I was doing pretty good with the stinger the other day until a friendly jet flew between me and a dead bang sitting-duck chopper (after the missiles were in the air) and got hisself kersploded.

I got me a minus in that second score column (what ever the hell it is, seems to be objective related), and despite no more friendly damage, and couple of capture assists, it went even lower a short time later.
Second column is team points. You get them for kill assists, flag captures, resupplies, revives, repairs. You get - points for TK, team damage, team vehicle damage.

Plus I got grenaded by a friendly, and I got a "you have chosen not to punish..." message a little later, I was like "I did?", how does that work?
If you don't hit pgup/pgdown (yes/no) after a TK it defaults not to punish. I don't punish people unless it's obvious it was intentional. Lots of asshats do otherwise

I wouldn't have punished anyway, as far as I'm concerned the occassional TK is part and parcel of any hectic action type game, shit happens (and if it's happening too often the game should take care of it itself).
Anything else?

Phoenix86 said:
Anything else?

Nope, thanks, I saw the pg up/down thing for regular voting, but I must have missed it for the kill. I was changing loadout, so I was distracted, I've noticed that Assault isn't the best package for when your outpost is being armour zerged, and neither is anti-tank (I haven't even tried them all yet, but special ops and engy seem like fun).

For some reason, most or all of that session apparently didn't make it into the stats system anyway, so there's no TKs on my record (my first 2 badges didn't get recorded either though).

Anytime infantry attacks armor, you had better be ready and patient. Tanks take 2-4 shots with the AT rocket, so you had better fire, then hide/move during the reload cycle. Take a new position, rinse and repeat.

AT is a very well rounded class considering how accurate the AT missle is at range on infantry, the DAO is excellent up close, and of course they can attack armor.

Also remember, tanks have weaker and stronger point, aim for the treads.

Phoenix86 said:
Anytime infantry attacks armor, you had better be ready and patient. Tanks take 2-4 shots with the AT rocket, so you had better fire, then hide/move during the reload cycle. Take a new position, rinse and repeat.

AT is a very well rounded class considering how accurate the AT missle is at range on infantry, the DAO is excellent up close, and of course they can attack armor.

Also remember, tanks have weaker and stronger point, aim for the treads.

Treads and the Gun Pod are the weaker areas, also the Back of the tank where the engine would be.
The Sides and the Front are very strong and take many hits.

Back to AA for a moment.

I haven't played much online yet and haven't had a chance to fully explore those larger versions of the maps. In addition to the Stinger sites, are there any static AA gun emplacements besides the CIWS on the carrier?

The few times I've tried to take out planes with the Stinger, it's been a total exercise in frustration and futility. I know about waiting for the flares as I've played lots of SP but the jets are so fast that they're usually long gone before the flares have fizzled. That and many pilots seem to have the Stinger locations memorized so I think they can bomb/strafe them with their eyes closed. The helo pilots are just as good so they usually take out the missile sites before dealing with the rest of the area. Now that I know about the stray missiles locking onto teammates, I think I'll just keep working on figuring out my technique against helos.

Bitchnmoan said:
Back to AA for a moment.

I haven't played much online yet and haven't had a chance to fully explore those larger versions of the maps. In addition to the Stinger sites, are there any static AA gun emplacements besides the CIWS on the carrier?

The few times I've tried to take out planes with the Stinger, it's been a total exercise in frustration and futility. I know about waiting for the flares as I've played lots of SP but the jets are so fast that they're usually long gone before the flares have fizzled. That and many pilots seem to have the Stinger locations memorized so I think they can bomb/strafe them with their eyes closed. The helo pilots are just as good so they usually take out the missile sites before dealing with the rest of the area. Now that I know about the stray missiles locking onto teammates, I think I'll just keep working on figuring out my technique against helos.
No, only the carrier has fixed AA guns. Generally the MEC or PLA will get mobile AA instead as well as fixed Stingers.

With real pilots, especially good ones, you will have a hard time with fixed AA. As you said, they know where you are and usually make a pass at you first. One trick is not to stay in the AA site until you see a target, that way the planes won't see you in bomb mode. Heck, sometimes I strafe AA even before the square would show if someones there, just in case. ;)

Single player cheats like a mofo (CPU knows where you are all the time). It's only so good for learning things.

Speaking of the mobile AA, spawn as support and you can resupply the mobile AA so it has unlimited missles. With that, drive waaaay the hell out somwhere with a good view. Now, you have created a new AA site in an odd place that the flyboys don't know about.

Back