BF2 Networking Issues

Mak

Limp Gawd
This is a small networking problem that I have had. I'm hoping you guys can shed some light onto what's going wrong.

Basically, I cannot play BattleField 2 on my main gaming computer over the internet. It's WinXP Pro w/ all the updates. I have tried using both onboard NICs, I have switched cables, I have directly uplinked this computer to the router(instead of using a 16 port switch connected to the router). All the other games work fine on any server. BF2 says, "Connection to server has been lost", on any server. I have tried many. If I play BF2 on my laptop, I have no issues at all.

Quick List of things tried:

1)Reinstall OS/Game
2)Try another NIC
3)Switch Cables
4)Switch ports on switch
5)Change cable layout

Thanks for any help guys!

How far into the game do you get? I mean, you're able to log into your account, correct? Can you actually connect to a server and start playing before you get the error?

If you're actually able to play for a little while, before you get the error do your pings in the game seem to go up and down by quite a bit? The reason I ask is because I get this error every now and then but not on a regular basis. I notice that for a little bit before it happens my pings just go crazy. The problem is, I'm not sure if it's a bug in the game (I kind of doubt this though) or just my internet connection.

One thing you might try is, instead of going through a router, hook directly up to your cable modem and see if it still happens. If nothing else, it will at least help rule out your router.

I second the no-router test recommendation. BF2 can saturate some SOHO routers. What router do you have and what firmware is it running?

D-Link 524, right now its running fine(first time in weeks) with a new PCI Nic. It appears that both onboard NICs are having trouble. My Laptop works fine for hours through the router.

DFI NF4 Ultra-D. Problems have gone away with the new NIC though.

*EDIT* Problems are back again.

A friend of mine had this same problem, and it was because he had his network speed the options menu set to LAN instead of 256k (or something like that). Basically BF2 was trying to upload more data than his connection could handle, so he would lose his connection to any server, usually in less than a minute.

Once he switched it to the other option, everything worked fine. Might be something worth looking at.

JBark said:
A friend of mine had this same problem, and it was because he had his network speed the options menu set to LAN instead of 256k (or something like that). Basically BF2 was trying to upload more data than his connection could handle, so he would lose his connection to any server, usually in less than a minute.

Once he switched it to the other option, everything worked fine. Might be something worth looking at.

It was already set at Cable(256k). Thanks though.

Dew said:
So did you try eliminating the router?

Just tried it. Same problem.

Any other help guys? I'm not enjoying the fact that I have to play on an X300 instead of a 7900GT. ;)

Since your main install is basically useless, perhpas copy over your laptops workign install 9first make sure your main one is identical to the laptop in every way (smae version, etc). Or just run a checksum on two installs that shoudl be the same, and see what comes out different. I would not recommend this normally, as it very rarely works, but all you have to lose is a few hours.

shadowwyvern said:
Since your main install is basically useless, perhpas copy over your laptops workign install 9first make sure your main one is identical to the laptop in every way (smae version, etc). Or just run a checksum on two installs that shoudl be the same, and see what comes out different. I would not recommend this normally, as it very rarely works, but all you have to lose is a few hours.

Before I lose a couple hours on this...wouldn't reinstalling the OS + game twice pretty much eliminate that the game is at fault? If not, then I will do this tonight.

I know for that a few weeks I had a constant problem of staying connected whenever I played BF2 (but only because that was the only game I was playing at the time). I couldn't figure it out because everything seemed fine on my end.

Then, right after it kicked me out because of a lost connection I called up my ISP and asked them if they saw anything. They ran some diagnostics and noticed that some things weren't quite right. They ended up sending out a technician to replace the cable going from the pole outside to my house. This fixed most of the problem for me. Now I only get that lost connection error every now and then, not very often at all.

You might call up your ISP right after getting the error and see what they have to say.

What happened when you tried removing your router? It really sounds like the issue. Also, do you have any problems connecting w/ any other online games? Do you have any firewalls enabled?

Standpoint said:
What happened when you tried removing your router? It really sounds like the issue. Also, do you have any problems connecting w/ any other online games? Do you have any firewalls enabled?

I would agree that it is the router except that my laptop works fine. Also, I was getting the same problem when I removed the router, but the laptop worked fine.

Back