BF2 Memory Myth

i have NOTHING running in background except for AIM on away, total RAM is 185mb before i start BF2, and I get 1 to 1.1GB used up after Gulf of Oman map is loaded =\ And the settings i use are 1024x768, highest settings, no AA/AF.

Its the textures that really matter guys. There is a big difference jumping from medium to high texture levels.

Cracks me up to see people say I run everything on HIgh except lighting, textures, and AA/AF..

that means you are running at medium to low settings in my book.

Erfus said:
You could have pointed that out and not been a jerk about it

He could have, but it wouldn't have been funny that way. See how it works out better for everyone but you? Everyone else gets a chuckle, you get a little bit rankled. It's for the greater good, man.

C'mon; take one for the team.

theelviscerator said:
Cracks me up to see people say I run everything on HIgh except lighting, textures, and AA/AF..

The settings might be medium to low, but the other settings are still set to "high" even though real quality might be medium to low in your book.

Erfus said:
You could have pointed that out and not been a jerk about it.

I do wonder how they benched this, clearly not a very realistic way. If it was me doing the test I would have recorded a demo of it and played it back using the BF2 TV-demo viewer deal.

Sorry, but I get rather annoyed when people post something about my posts and don't read it and understand what it said.

The gaming forum is really dissapointing me, might go back to talking about processor architectures and memory overclocking, less kidies.

dmonkey said:
The settings might be medium to low, but the other settings are still set to "high" even though real quality might be medium to low in your book.

Lighting and Textures are the Quaility effects, lowering them puts your graphics in the shitter.

Lower shadows, but for god sakes, if you got a 256mb card, use high textures.

My specs are
Amd athlon xp 2800+ @ 3200+
512mb pc3200
BFG 6800GToc

And i can't run it on high. I know its not my video card, so i would be guessing that the 512mb of ram would be the holdup. What are your settings 512mb users?

schrags said:
My specs are
Amd athlon xp 2800+ @ 3200+
512mb pc3200
BFG 6800GToc

And i can't run it on high. I know its not my video card, so i would be guessing that the 512mb of ram would be the holdup. What are your settings 512mb users?

I have exactly the same system. I set it to the default 'High' (which means textures Medium).

Smoothe except as I originally stated (first post).

Hey, don't get me wrong, I am going to get an extra Gig, but I just can't understand why mine runs so good and everyone else complains?

Steam anyone?

I am hooked like crack to BF2 demo - I can barely wait for teh release.

I was running this game with 1 gig and it did work fine,but it took forever for it too load. I think I was always the last dude in and also when alt+tabbing,exiting game etc took forever. During the first 30 seconds or so the game would need to settle down for me,I think it was freeing memory or something.

After getting another gig of corsair value indeed a great price,the game loads up way quicker and everything is smooth. As for gaining fps with more memory I really don't care about that. I don't have no benchmarks etc,all I know getting more memory did something and it didn't hurt. Plus newegg had a sweet deal. I'm happy :D

I went from 1 gig in demo and first week of retail to 2 gig, and i definatly saw a difference. not so much in framerates, my avg didnt change at all, but my low went up about 10fps. 3500 6800U @16x12 everythign on high. The biggest differences though were reduced loading times, about 6s on avg but my testing wasnt the most scientific, and in Alt-tabbing out of the game, with 1 gig it would sometimes take 20+s to get to my desktop, with 2 gig its 2-3s. And since i admin the server i play on i need to be able to alt tab well.

Indeed he could literally kill you then alt+tab doing something as admin,come back shoot you again etc. I think it happened to me when I played him. 2 gig did help. ;)

I run the game at 1600x1200 with high settings for each option, and noticed a dramatic improvement going to 2GB from 1GB. I have an AMD Athlon 3200+ Barton, BFG 6800GT 256MB, 2GB PC3200 Mushkin, and an Asus A7n8x-E deluxe motherboard.

I still get sporadic chop and stutter but attribute that to network issues as it only happens on certain servers and I always have a decent ping (20-60).

So it's been my experience that a memory increase was sufficient to improve game performance.

Big difference going from 1 to 1.5~2gb in BF2 for both my systems. With 1gb and I had to turn lighting to medium to get what I'd consider acceptable performance w/ minimal stuttering. With 1.5gb on 1 system and 2gb on the other now, the stutters have been eliminted.

Tazman2 said:
I prefer the UNINSTALL BF2 button! :p
That is a shame! It has always been a good recomendation to have your swap file set to 1 1/2 times your amount of ram, It is also better to set the amount to a set amount by changeing the Max and Min amount to the same amount. this way your swap file will not get fragmented as it will constantly shrink and grow. Setting it to a set amount also help in performance.

theelviscerator said:

The textures are the main thing. Many people say the difference is minor but I can see a major difference. The games does look decent one medium settings, but it looks nothing short of spectacular when everything is really on "high".

2GB RAM here. Memory usage about ~800 MB after two maps.

1024x768, All settings on HIGH except Textures is set at Medium. 2X AA, 4X AF.
Minimum 40 FPS.. Come on, 9700 Pro.. chug along faster!!

Back