BF2; M95 Broken?

its less like "blowing a big hole" and more like completely obliterating beyond recognition

excessive force is never a good thing when there are better options, i dont imagine its fun trying to identify a soldier by bits of meat strewn about the place

Deadguy said:
its less like "blowing a big hole" and more like completely obliterating beyond recognition

excessive force is never a good thing when there are better options, i dont imagine its fun trying to identify a soldier by bits of meat strewn about the place

Fair enough.
(I imagine the ban on incendary weapons against personell is partly for the same reason.)

quote:
"The M95 was 1S1K in Desert Combat and most people still didn't use it effectively. A n00b is a n00b whether he has an M24 or an M95...it wouldn't make that much of a difference"

Actually in Desert Combat there was a different Barrett .50 cal rifle, the M82A1.
http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifles.htm
Semi-auto scoped fire is a world of difference.

Deadguy said:
there is hardly any bullet drop in BF2 you can set up a lan w/ a friend and test it

at max view distance you can aim directly at their head and get a headshot

now w/ high latency that may change things but in all the online games i have played w/ sniper it is very easy to kill people

w/ the m25 and m95 (since they are the same in game except the 95 can shoot through bulletproof glass) you have to deal w/ a little bullet rise from the kick, so aim for the high chest @<200m and right for the head at further distance

the svd and type95 do 45 points of damage so it takes 3 shots to the chest which is pretty easy

and in general you should know not to shoot at people who are moving left or right, only take a shot if they stop or are moving toward/away

I dunno if the chinese sniper is the same as the MEC one but i can kill targets with two torso shots whilst they're running.

Maybe people just need to learn to lead their targets a little more (playing CoD on dialup for a year did it for me :D )

WickedAngel said:
The round that the Barrett M95 fires is an anti-material penetration round. What that means is that it basically can go through just about any modern vehicle armor or concrete like a razor-knife through button. There have been instances of this weapon being uses to kill enemy personnel that are hiding in fortified positions by using thermal gear to see their positions behind walls.

Actually, no. It is an anti-material and anti-sniper rifle in the same vein as the AWP (AWM to be exact).
It is used for shooting through light vehicles and hitting high-profile targets inside (such as a jeep or chopper) or disabling the engine. In its anti-sniper role it's used to shoot at them from a greater range than they can shoot at you, and hit them through breezeblocks or a thin wall, for example. That stuff about tank armour and concrete is bullshit.

EDIT: maybe not the concrete. But definitely the tank armour

Wally said:
I dunno if the chinese sniper is the same as the MEC one but i can kill targets with two torso shots whilst they're running.

Maybe people just need to learn to lead their targets a little more (playing CoD on dialup for a year did it for me :D )

Actually, no. It is an anti-material and anti-sniper rifle in the same vein as the AWP (AWM to be exact).
It is used for shooting through light vehicles and hitting high-profile targets inside (such as a jeep oor chopper) or disabling the engine. In its anti-sniper role it's used to shoot at them from a greater range than they can shoot at you, and hit them through breezeblocks or a thin wall, for example. That stuff about tank armour and concrete is bullshit.

I imagine there's special ammunition (sabot + tungsten rod penetrator, perhaps?) that'll have much greater penetration, and that this is where those numbers come from.

Yeah, they use deformative soft lead slugs to hit engines and spread out, maximising damage area, HE rounds, blahblahbalh

Have a read here and look at the other models: http://www.world.guns.ru/sniper/sn03-e.htm

EDIT: and the stuff on the M24 is interesting - "range-finding reticule and built-in compensator for bullet drop."

Also note the swedish version of the PSG-90 (a 7.62 weapon) , which usually fires a custom 4.81 tungsten penetrator.
I really, really wouldn't want to invade sweden in a light armored vehicle. The normal sniper rifle is armor penetrating (only effective through up to 2 cm of steel), and they invented the Carl Gustaf recoilless cannon.

BTW: I guess it's time to clear up on the calibers here.

5.56 mm is .223 Remington, (5.56 x 45 mm)
7.62 mm NATO is .308 Winchester. (7.62 x 51 mm)
7.62 mm russian is 7.62 x 39 mm
12.7 mm is .50 cal (12.7 x 99 mm)

Back