BF2..How high can i go with this card?

H3d Case

Limp Gawd
Right now i got a
- AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
- 1GB of RAM
- 225GB Hard Drive
- BFG 7800 GT OC 256MB

This is my first videocard so im new to this stuff. And im not really sure how good this card is. F.E.A.R hasn't done so well.

In BF2 could i have all the settings on MAX with this card or only some of them?

I have all settings at max in BF2. I think the 7800GT is almost as good as 6800GT SLI.
You will should get 2 GB of memory for max settings.

yea i know, i read alot about the memory. would'nt it just decrease the load times if i got another GB of RAM?

also I have optimized my computer by disabling the services that run in the backround using up RAM - http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm

Will that help me out a little in BF2?

all i can add is that i have to use vsync on games, the tearing kills my eyes.

at 1280x1024 with your setup and even another gig of ram, running everything including aa, you are gonna get slowdowns with vsync on :(

Try all settings on high, except textures on medium (you need 2gb for high textures otherwise you'll get hitching). 1280x1024 with 4xAA, everything else at max except textures on medium. This should be good. Remember to reset BF2 after setting the AA in the game, as it only applies after resetting BF2.

H3d Case said:
yea i know, i read alot about the memory. would'nt it just decrease the load times if i got another GB of RAM?

also I have optimized my computer by disabling the services that run in the backround using up RAM - http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm

Will that help me out a little in BF2?

I didn't bother looking for and disabling services. If you're aggressive with it, you might be able to save 50 MB or so. But you might break some other applications you run on the PC. Its simplier to just throw another gig of memory at it.

The extra gig not only decreases the load time, you won't see hitching in the gameplay as well. The size of the graphic textures at max settings is over 1 GB. Which means paging to disk if you only have 1 GB of memory.

Back