BF2: "Connection to the server has been lost"

Bop

2[H]4U
Does anyone else get randomly disconnected while playing Battlefield 2 with the message "Connection to the server has been lost" ? I've tried 3 different network cards and disabled my firewall. The other computers on my network don't have this issue, my friends and I will all be playing and I am the one who gets disconnected.

This is really pissing me off, my system was just reformatted too. I've used the nVidia onboard LAN, the Marvell onboard LAN and a LinkSys PCI card and all of them have this issue.

Is anyone else having problems like this?

Yeah, I get it too, hopefully it'll get fixed in the next patch.

I'm pretty sure that it's the game and not my connection, because every other game that I play online is fine.

In my case, it was insufficient ram. I was running 512K, and it just wasn't enough. The game would bog so bad trying to swap out to the hard drive, that i would time out my network connection and get dropped. Upping my ram to 1GB fixed that problem. I would get dropped on the second match every stinking time until i upped the ram.

I really need to build a new rig, as this one is definitely sub par for BF2, and likely most games coming after it.

hmm i only get that a few times when trying to get in the server. maybe try a different server. my only problems now r the crashes to desktop but that happened like 4 times in 5 hours of playing it.

spugnor said:
In my case, it was insufficient ram. I was running 512K, and it just wasn't enough.
Wow, I'm surprised BF2 would run at all with only 512K! What you running, an Amiga 500? :p

I get it quite frequently with 1gb PC4000.

Its not the server as it happens to every server I go to :( What annoys me is that my friends never see the issue on the same LAN.

I connected my PC directly to the modem and the same thing still happened.

Everyone who has this problem, what kind of motherboard/cpu and gpu do you have? Maybe we can find something in common.

I had this problem every time I tried to log onto a server when I first installed the game. I fixed it by manually opening a bunch of ports in my XPfirewall. For some reason allowing the game from the popup didn't work...ymmv.

I get it also but not in any other game. This leads me to believe that its the coding. I have a 4400+, A8N-SLI, 2 7800GTX's and 2 gigs of ram. Its not a power/hardware issue. I can go hours without it and then it will do it all the time.
I dont use windows firewall but I have symantec set to allow all traffic for BF2. I have also open the recomended ports in my router. This did not fix anything for me. Watch all the people that get disconected at a map change. I hate to beat a dead horse but we all know that the game has coding issues.

Just an idea, but do all you people who get disconnected have hardware audio and EAX enabled?

The disconnects I'm talking about occur randomly during gameplay, not during a map change.

Ive only had that one happen once but I constantly cant even connect to a game server after chosing it. Eventually I find one I can connect to. I never can figure out why I cant get onto a certain server since other days it works fine.

This happens to me as well. It seems to be the netcode IMO.

I noticed in my case, it happens more when I'm in a vehicle rather than on foot. It rarely, if ever, happens when I'm on foot. I get a good few hours before I get the disconnect though. It is quite annoying though.

I have the problem too, but for me it happens after 1 to 5 mins of gameplay consistently on every server, pb enabled or no... and it happens for everyone else on my lan... and it happens for bf1942... and it happens for bfv... and every other online game i've ever played work perfectly.

I've only had that a couple times. ANd I think both were pre 1.02 patch, but not 100% sure. Since the latest patch, all has been well for me. I'm using onboard audio and nic.

Ok I think I fixed what was going on with my system, every time the game starts up I have to use the task manager and disable the 2nd core for BF2.exe

Nice job EA... looks like dual core CPUs can't run the game correctly.

saturnine2 said:
Wow, I'm surprised BF2 would run at all with only 512K! What you running, an Amiga 500? :p

I get it quite frequently with 1gb PC4000.

Yep, ran fine until i patched it. 1.00 was gold, 1.01 sucked, but fixed a few things. 1.02 completely broke the game. Of course, with more ram it was now "magically delicious". It needs a few more "patches" to reach "good game" stage.

Funnt thing is, the processor is plenty fine (3.4C), but the memory and video card are lacking. It's not a bad machine, but it's not a power gaming machine either.

Back