• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

BF2 Card/New System Questions

lohkie

n00b
Joined
Jul 13, 2004
Messages
57
well, since my laptop seems to be dead... and i'm getting a job soon... and money from bday and xmas... or whatnot, i should be able to get money enough... soooo..

Wondering what the min technical specs for the game are, the site says Radeon 8600 for ati, yet my brother has a 9200 that wont run it (desktop)...

Sadly, I stopped keeping track of the technology scene when my homemade computer mysteriously died on me a little over a year ago (no one can figure out what's wrong or fix it)...

So, what are the "series" that can run it?

Also, any suggestions to laptops/premade computers (i'm too lazy to build my own, though if any of you have a business or anything...) would be appreciated (I'm kinda lookin at alienware atm, but only because i've never heard any complaints aside from price). Also, laptops are preferred (I've gotten used to not having to lug around a monitor lol, but i have one so I'm not ruling out desktops)
 
BF2 seems to require a directx 9 card and that's it. A friend of mine has a 9500pro that runs it I think. I don't think that an 8500 or 9000 would work. I would have thought the 9200 would work, just really slow but I guess you never know.

These guys: http://www.voodoopc.com/showRoom.aspx?categoryID=2 seem to have some nice laptops although the price is a little high also. I would just look for something amd64, even the low end ones seem to do quite well, and as good a video card you can afford. For BF2 a large amount of ram (2GB) will help a lot with load times though framerates seem to be similar for 512.
 
My rig (in sig) is able to run BF2 at high res and reasonable detail level and high framerates, although loading times are really high (even when playing the map at the start), so something of similar specs would do the job nicely. Probably I would go for a Venice A64, probably 3500+, 1GB RAM minimum, SATA hard drive is also a must. Also, look at a x800 mobile, or a 6800. But running similar specs to my desktop in a laptop would make it work, and shouldn't be too expensive. It does depend on how much money your willing to spend as well.
 
2-3 grand?? Lordy thats enough to make a bf2 killer rig. Mines is a 7800GTX 2gb ram DFI Lanparty SLI-DR Antec neopower 480 w/case A64 3200 Venice for under 2grand
 
voodoo seems a bit overly expensive... gah, I hate shopping for computers :(
 
well, minimum wage job most likely full time with nothing else to spend money on... i'm trying not to go above 3 if possible, and closest to 2 as possible...

I just have this thing where whenever i find something that should be fine, it's not... (my broken desktop SHOULD have been able to run hyper fast on any game, but I could never turn on FSAA without a hugeass drop in frames)
 
Ok, looking at this Alienware model, trying to tweak it to get what i want without going too cheap... Vidcard, Mobility Radeon X800, GF Go 6800, or 6800 Ultra? All have 256 DDR 3, but I've so totally lost touch with the vid card races that these numbers don't mean much to me lol...

And should I stick with 2.8 Ghz P4 or up it?

... And harddrive... lol, never kept up with wtf RAID ment, so should i even bother with raid configs or just stick with the single drive setup?
 
I think for mobile 6800Go ultra (or whatever its called) is faster than atis current mobile solution. I could be talkin out my ass so if someone could back me on this one. As for hdd I would definately stick w/ one you start putting two disks in raid on a lappy you start draining power uselessly(as i see it)
 
6800 Ultra is the ticket. ATI is coming along, but Nvidia has got them hands down.

I wouldn't recommend RAID for the reasons justin mentioned. Also, I've never seen RAID work too well on any laptop, regardless of the manufacturer. If you're interested in storage, get a desktop.
 
cool cool, too bad the alienware i was using is running at about 2,800 atm with those settings, but I GUESS that's acceptable since it's including some surround sound headphones, bf2, and a few other optional things that don't directly effect the laptop..

Thanks for the help, though, how well do you think Intel® 915P PCI-Express Chipset (800 MHz FSB), 2x512 (533 MHz), 2.8 P4 (800 MHz FSB), 6800 Ultrawould run BF2?
 
If you can, get more ram. BF2 eats up ram like you wouldn't believe. Otherwise, it should be fine.
 
fine, or like... better than fine?

cuz last time i heard fine, it was pretty much just so so
 
Keep in mind that BF2 is an extremely demanding game. With your setup, you should not be disappointed, however. You should be able to run everything on high and keep your frames above 30.

I'm actually working on a machine with very similar features to yours, and it runs smooth as silk on mine.
 
above 30? does that work well with vsync? I've not had any positive experience with FPS outputs of under 50...

Aside from Halo, anyway
 
You'll be OK. Ask around if you like, but you'll be just fine. I know its a big investment, but you're getting good stuff.
 
As much as i hate to reccomend dell, i think the xps gen 2 is the way to go in this case. The pentium m is the best mobile processor available, and the xps is the only system i've seen with the p-m paired to a 6800 ultra. With the current 40% off coupons you could get a xps with pentium m 770 2.13ghz, 17" UXGA, 2gb ddr2, 100gb HD, 6800 ultra, xp pro, dvd-rw, gigabit, etc. for under 2500 bucks. Don't be fooled by the low clockspeed on the pentium m 770, its a very fast chip with a much lower thermal output than P4s.

As for the lowest system requirements for bf2, my old desktop system is almost exactly the minimum i think. XP1600+, radeon 8500 64mb, 512mb pc2100. BF2 chugs along on it, but i much prefer to use my other system with a64 3000+, 6800gt 256mb, 2gb pc3200. My laptop (mitac 8050 w/ 1gb ram, Pentium M 1.5ghz, mobility 9700 pro) plays it pretty well too.
 
yeah, dell, what? Atleast alienware looks cool or something o_O, guess it couldn't hurt to check out, I'd sell my soul to the devil for power, so why not to dell for a laptop?


Strangely enough, though, my old system has higher specs than your min spec system. But it's all broke n shit...

I still need to figure out what out of it is salvagable. According to ATI, the video card is fine, so my motherboard is probably the only dead thing... so i could just scrap it and get a p4 board i guess o_O but i don't feel like playing frankenstein.
 
I looked at that dell... it's a definate possibility due to that huge rebate, but I no <3 the base ram :D

where's the 40% off coupon though? i like 800 dollar savings...
 
Check out the hot deals forum for the latest coupons. Here's the current 40% off: CXFLV5J8Q4?LBV
 
Back
Top