BF2 - all of a sudden lagging/skipping

defiant

Limp Gawd
Have never had a problem running BF2 online, I was playing a game today and it all of a sudden began jerking/skipping continuously. Tried several different servers and changing vid settings but I cant get rid of the problem!?

Runs completely fine setting up my own server or playing single player. Has any1 else all of a sudden begun to experience this problem?

Heres a thread at totalbf2 with other people who have started to have the problem.

http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53590

This really pisses me off.....only with EA and DICE would a game thats been working perfectly up until now suddenly top working :mad: :mad:

recently ive had it yes
happens about 2 or 3 times per map, and then disappears

i've been getting rough performance as well. It goes away after awhile. I have 1gb of ram for the record, so I thought it might be that. i wonder if ppl with 2gb of mem are getting this problem.

this is persistent stutter.....doesnt go away, its there as soon as I load a map. This is even at 800x600 with everything on low detail. :mad:

I believe it's wonderful Punkbuster, f'ing up things as usual. It's acting up for my whole clan on our own server as well as others. Get kicked for various "non-comm" issues with PB server.

Weazmeister said:
I believe it's wonderful Punkbuster, f'ing up things as usual. It's acting up for my whole clan on our own server as well as others. Get kicked for various "non-comm" issues with PB server.

Glad to know im not the only one......sent an email to punkbuster, get the lamest response ever:

PunkBuster "pushes" hardware and the Windows Operating System more than most software and uses functions in the Windows API (low level functions) that aren't used by most other programs. As such, there are a few cases where using PB can actually expose flaky hardware or other situations that don't cause problems for other software. Here are a few things that have helped other users make these problems get better or go away completely:

* Make sure you are using the latest version of PunkBuster (the latest version is always on our Download page) - also this link may help manually update your PB to the latest version when necessary

* From the game's main screen, press the tilde key (the ~ key) to bring down the console and enter the following line (without the quotes): "pb_system 0".

* Never close other programs from your Windows Task Manager before playing the game, either leave them running or close them through the proper interface - killing a process doesn't always work completely even if it stops showing in the Task Manager and renegade threads seem to conflict with PB more than other programs that may be running in memory. There is a free utility that some players use called EndItAll to close all extra programs before they play to avoid software conflicts, crashes and lockups. You can get it from here.

* Check the add/remove programs list in your Control Panel and uninstall any programs that you don't use or that you don't know what they are.

* One program that seems to conflict with PB more than others is Norton Anti-Virus. If you have it installed, try uninstalling it to see if the lockups go away. Some players have reported that when this is the culprit, they can reinstall Norton Anti-Virus and the lockups don't come back.

* Other background programs that seem to conflict with PB for some users are Sound Blaster Live software and helper programs that come with video cards (especially ATI keyboard shortcut programs).

* Some players discovered that they had a computer virus and that the lockups vanished after it was fully removed.

* Some Zone Alarm users report that giving Battlefield 'trusted server' access in the Zone Alarm 'program' configuration fixes these problems

* Experiment with the pb_sleep setting ... try setting it to 20, 250, or 500 to see if that affects your game performance. A few players have reported that all the problems go away when they "tweak" this setting.

* In extreme cases, a few users have reported that replacing their RAM (memory) or video/sound cards fixed the problem.

Yeah right.....system running BF2 fine for the last 7 months, all of a sudden it cant handle punkbuster, pffft give me a fuckin break

That's great advice for most novice users but I believe most of us here have tried those things and then some before contacting the idiots at Even Balance. Just my .02

My clan was having these problems last night

I just manually updated PB..was a pretty big update so that probably explains the lag (Downloading it in the background while playing)

edit: By the sounds of posts here and on other forums manually updating wont help :(

I got banned from a server last time cause I fucking tke'd to much when I only accidentkly tk'd one person the whole fucking game!!! :mad:

I thought I was the only one. Sure, I get the "start-up" lag when my computer is loading textures/models etc. (lasts for about 2-3 mins), but this "skippy" lag whilst playing is a bunch of bull.

I thought it was because of my new router (it may still be). I'm going to put the old one back in place and try it again.

it's a PB problem
apparently they are aware of it and working on a fix
the latest update doesnt fix shit

Any progress on the bullhonky yet? I can't freaking believe it, i just got this game last week, been loving it so far, bought 2 gigs of ddr500 JUST to play this game, then last night I can't log on to any servers because of punkbuster bullcrap. ><

Am I the only one who remembers the bad old days when punkbuster had problems like this fairly frequently?

FUCKKK it happens to me also...its horrible i cant even play fucking EA/Dice people should burn in hell but i love the game

Im just gonna go back to playing BF1942 while EA wanks off Dice in the corner about this

IceWind said:
I got banned from a server last time cause I fucking tke'd to much when I only accidentkly tk'd one person the whole fucking game!!! :mad:

How the hell is that relevant??! :confused:

inotocracy said:
How the hell is that relevant??! :confused:

Cause the damn lag caused by PunkBuster made it impossible to lay down mines/grenades/exposives without my damn teamates lag shifting into them at the wrong time

Still no fix....maybe they aught to change the name from "punkbuster" to "legit player buster" or "high quality play experience buster".

ive been getting this recently as well, its basically an early sign of my pc telling me im about to lose my connection to the server.

I never get the "there is a problem with your connection" msg. i'll just be playing and ill notice it will get jittery as if i dont have a 3000 dollar computer in front of me and then the game will go silent and i'll get the famous.

your connection to the server has been lost, and anytime I rejoin 10 seconds later it boots me again. same shit.

If rebooting my modem and doing an ipconfig /flushdns doesnt fix the problem.

I was able to fix my problems by uninstalling Norton, and re-installing the game into the default directory.

ive been getting this damn skipping too. I nearly threw my keyboard against the wall because this is so frustrating.

And here I thought my issues were related to the new hdd I installed last week. For me the game isn't unplayable, but it definately feels like 15FPS a lot of the time.

Back