BF1942 revival?

I would kill for a BF WWII update - if they did it right......needs moveable sinkable ships, battleships etc.

Imagine Iwo on the BF3 engine with guns that couldnt shoot for shit unless you are almost face to face. Talk about intense......

I used to make maps for bf42. That was fun. I can't imagine mapping for BF3. It's so much more complex. BF2 was enough to make me quit mapping.

Because why would they allow user-made content for free when they can charge $15 for each small DLC?

The more absolute control they have over the content, the more they can nickel and dime the user to death.

For BF3 they actually gave the excuse that it was "too complex" to allow modding, but you'd have to be a moron to believe that was the real reason.

seriously, thats outrageous.
i bet it has to do more with them trying to corner some software/algorithms that gives their games that feel or some crap.

like for some odd reason, literraly out of thin air im thinking this right now, dod counters-trike those games made a few bucks off of half-life. maybe to prevent this? lol or even to jus make sure they sell their expansion packs too i guess.. ramblin..

I think my fondest memory of multiplayer shooters will be the day i shot down a B17 with a tank. Weird set of circumstances, uphill, with the bomber flying waaaay to low. The only way to get that kind of trajectory. But the gods smiled on me that day, and watching that bomber burn was so satisfying.

BF1942 and DC were great times. Loved playing that game. Got most of my friends into computer gaming at the time. I'd tempted to just get a Desert Combat server up and have friends play again (with some bots for bullet fodder of course)

I really miss BF1942 days. Loads of fun. I was playing with a group online and it was a battle extraordinaire. One of the guys on the other team came out the top dog of the match so we all decided to try to get a good screen cap of him. We were setup at the end of a runway and since I was already in a plane they decided I should do an overhead flyby and make a screen cap of it.

First pass I was a little too high. Second pass I was almost there. Third pass nailed it. Got an awesome pic. Decided to go for a fourth time...flew in a wee bit too low and decapitated the dude. :eek: :p :D

You guys remember capture the flag mode? When we realized that that a 2-seater plane could rip through at 5 ft off the ground and pick you up (while on foot) as you held down "e" the setups to cap were amazing - and exhilarating. CtF on El Al has no peer.

And Gazala...... Best map ever.

BF1942 a classic game, but like most things in life the experience the second time around is never as good as the original.

Did EA neuter the origin version of 42? This thread inspired me to download it and toss a server up, and I'm noticing that there's no option for the console anymore, and binding it to a key in the .con doesn't do anything either.

I remember in college, I had a mediocre computer that could barely run it on low resolution and not be a slideshow. It was the reason I first upgraded my PC. My roomates would all huddle around my 15" monitor and we'd rotate playing (and they weren't big into video games).

An amazing, amazing game.

Back