Bezel & BLB

**MaRVeL**

Weaksauce
Do narrow/slim bezels increase the chances of BLB? I wonder whether the thinner frame offers less support which might lead to increased chances of BLB.

Has anyone given this any thought or know whether it could be an issue?

I used to have a slim bezel display before they became popular :D (samsung s27a950d)

I didn't notice any prominent blb on it, I don't think the thickness of bezels contributes to blb in any way.

Last edited:
It's not related per se, rather it's dependent on the design inside, how firmly/hermetically the backlighting matrix is attached to the lc panel.

The design can be good or bad no matter the thickness, but more than anything I believe the main reasons for BLB are manufacturers saving costs and not giving a crap about quality control.

After all today probably about 90% (if not more) of the manufacturing process of a monitor is handled by a chain of subcontractors.

My wife and I both have slim bezel monitor and I've never noticed BLB on either panel. I have a ASUS ROG Swift, which I primarily use for gaming. My wife has a Dell Ultrasharp U2414H for photography and school. Of course, maybe we just got really good units, but overall, ours are about perfect.

It's not related per se, rather it's dependent on the design inside, how firmly/hermetically the backlighting matrix is attached to the lc panel.

The design can be good or bad no matter the thickness, but more than anything I believe the main reasons for BLB are manufacturers saving costs and not giving a crap about quality control.

After all today probably about 90% (if not more) of the manufacturing process of a monitor is handled by a chain of subcontractors.
I do agree about them not being very bothered with quality control and attempting to convince people that BLB is normal. I saw on Amazon.com text saying that BLB is normal in an attempt to make people more likely to accept these defective panels with BLB. It's funny how BLB can vary widely, with some monitors totally free of it, with many exhibiting minor BLB and others with very bad BLB. It has to come down to the manufacturing process tolerances and how much time they spend constructing the panels. The really high end brands such as Eizo are less prone to it showing tighter manufacturing tolerances and more time spent making sure the panels are put together properly.

BLB can ruin dark scenes, making what should be blacks a shade of grey. I use a lot of dark screens because my eyes are very sensitive to bright light and therefore looking at white screens does not suit me. I need a new monitor and it must have very minor to no BLB. I am moving away from the idea of IPS screens after initially going along with what everyone else chooses and I am now moving towards AMVA+ panels to avoid IPS glow ruining my dark screens. You should be able to understand why any effect that slim bezels has on BLB is of interest to me.

This will be my first panel because I have been a CRT user up until now. I have avoided them this long!

Back