Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro monitor headphones for $150

Geez, that seems like an excellent deal. I have the 770 Pros and they are one of my favorite headphones, especially for gaming. I know these are open and will sound different, but still excellent...unfortunately I can't use open headphones due to background noise ruining the experience.

Weird how the 990 Pros are cheaper than the regular 990s.

Weird how the 990 Pros are cheaper than the regular 990s.

The non-Pro is the consumer version and is considered "premium" while the Pros are geared towards studios and have a much stiffer, less comfortable, clamp. Then of course there is the impedance choices...

The non-Pro is the consumer version and is considered "premium" while the Pros are geared towards studios and have a much stiffer, less comfortable, clamp. Then of course there is the impedance choices...

Gotcha. I suspected that might be the case here. I can't see the reason for such wild price variances between impedances, though. I'm no headphone builder or speaker designer, but is there any valid reason why a 600-ohm headphone should cost nearly $100 more than its 250-ohm sibling?

No there is no good reason for the price difference in the higher and lower ohms. They all sound very close to each other. Maybe 3% difference in sound. I own these ones in the OP and holy shit they blow my AT AD700's out of the water (air?). Anybody looking for good gaming phones these are it. They sound much higher than their price point. Bass is very clear and detailed and it's not overpowering like head-fi would lead you to believe. The highs are slightly pronounced but not as grating as the ad700's and mids are pretty silky as well. I love em.

- wanted to add these can run just fine off of a regular line out. They get plenty loud without amperage but for sure an amp will bring the best out of them.

Last edited:
I see no good reason why any high end set of headphones in this price range should not have a removable cord.

removable cord or not the DT series are very very well build, Mine have fallen many times and are still as good as new. I have the 770pro 80 omh but they seem to be built similarly. REally happy with beyers, if I didnt already have a pair I would jump on this, great deal

If I didn't already have m50's on order I would get these in a heart beat

The clamping force on these is very intense. I've used these and I do not recommend them for most people , they simply are not comfortable.

Its a great price but otherwise you should audition them before you buy.

The clamping force on these is very intense. I've used these and I do not recommend them for most people , they simply are not comfortable.

lol clamping force is so easily adjusted...you got a be kidding me;) Its well known the M50's have to much clamping force as well but it didn't deter me from ordering them.....those of us with big heads learn these things:)

Last edited:

I actually totally agree with this. pro version of dt 770, 880, 990 clamping force is super uncomfortable and not easily adjusted.

I actually totally agree with this. pro version of dt 770, 880, 990 clamping force is super uncomfortable and not easily adjusted.

I picked up the DT-990 Pro's a little while back for $155 from Amazon, and have not really had the same experience. I find the fit to be decent, but a little loose in comparison to my Sennheiser HD-598's. The Sennheiser headphones are a more comfortable headphone overall, but the Beyer's are more "fun" sounding so they have been getting more use recently. I don't have any problem wearing them for 4-5 hour gaming sessions. I don't have glasses, so can't comment on that type of comfort.

I have a rather large head and these fit me great. No pressure at all, I could wear them for about 6+ hours before I start to feel any strain on my ears.

Huh, I find my 770's super comfy... I'm thinking of grabbing a 2nd pair for work as my senn. 595 are really uncomfortable for 8+ hours of wearing.

My head is on the larger side and find them to be a bit snug. I think they're decent sounding but they do sound a bit on the bright side to me. Good price though.

How do these compare to the Senn's 598s for gaming? Torn between the two.

hmm... i wonder how these would be powered by the PS4 Controller (Dual Shock 4)? Prolly dont need to spend big bucks on something I will just plug into the controller though but this is damn tempting.

I have the DT990 premiums' and they are extremely comfortable. The sound is also great.

600 ohms version is the only way to go on any Beyerdynamic model.

Too bad that makes them $313.

For the money, the other models are just fine. I'll agree that there would be some benefit of going with the 600-ohm version if the price was equal or somewhat close...

I doubt you'll notice a difference.

Seriously subjective. Every set of cans sounds different to everyone. You can only really compare things like comfort , ease of use and long term viability (easily replaced cables , ear pads , head pad and so on).

Comparing Beyerdynamic's sound to Sennheiser is like comparing a Ferrari to a Lambo , both are high end and handle differently and people always differ on whats better.

The only comparison you should trust is your own ears. Find somewhere you can try them out and make up your own mind.

Seriously subjective. Every set of cans sounds different to everyone. You can only really compare things like comfort , ease of use and long term viability (easily replaced cables , ear pads , head pad and so on).

Comparing Beyerdynamic's sound to Sennheiser is like comparing a Ferrari to a Lambo , both are high end and handle differently and people always differ on whats better.

The only comparison you should trust is your own ears. Find somewhere you can try them out and make up your own mind.

The difference is not subjective. It is easily observed and measured.

What is subjective is whether preyed will like one over the other.

So will he notice it? Extremely likely. Will it matter or will he even like it? No one knows but him.

The difference is not subjective. It is easily observed and measured.

What is subjective is whether preyed will like one over the other.

So will he notice it? Extremely likely. Will it matter or will he even like it? No one knows but him.

And despite the measurements we all have different brains so we process it differently. You can't tell him what the difference will be outside of measurements which don't tell the whole story as you have said.

I've owned both cans , I've owned probably hundreds at this point and I personally found them different with both strengths and weaknesses.

Back