Beyer or AKG

gs274

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got an opportunity to pick up a set of Beyerdynamics DT880's or a set of AKG K 701's for about the same price...any recommendations? For music and gaming use with a headphone amp off of a x-meridian.

Beyers might be brighter but with good headphone amp you won't miss anything in the bottom end. I have not auditioned 701s. Using Beyers 770s (for live work) and 990s for home.
The only complaint is that they are heavy.

They are at the same sonic level, they just sound different, look different, and feel different. This is loads of info on the sonic differences between the DT880 and K701. Either try them out and see which you prefer, read all of the comparisons between the two, or take a gable (psst: or buy both and seel off the one you like least, lol).

Personally I like the beyers better in comfort, but the AKG arn't that bad.

I think i'm going with they beyers...overwhelming opinions towards them. I'd love to try them out but living where I do, nobody carries anything along those lines. Who knows I may get the bug in a month and get the K701's as well...right after the tube amp =)

ive listened to both of them and i can say go for the beyer...the k701 is kinda hard to drive..they need a good amp (around $300ish price) and hass less bass than 880

From a high fidelity standpoint, K701 are some of the best dynamic headphones out there. They can be pretty dull though.

For gaming, you'll want the DT880.

Back