Beware razer ouroboros!

bleomycin

Limp Gawd
I don't usually post product reviews of any kind, especially negative reviews but my experience with razer as a company lately has driven me to this. I picked up a razer ouroboros from best buy yesterday after anxiously awaiting it's release for months only to get home and instantly experience issues with the mouse refusing to connect wirelessly, not working when plugged in via usb, and once working transitioning between states (moving from wired back to wireless modes) leaves the mouse pointer frozen on screen while the rest of the buttons continue to work (dpi changes, etc) so the mouse is still connected.

No amount of power cycling, re-pairing, or fiddling alleviates any of these problems. To top it off i've discovered what i believe and hope to be a software bug with the scroll wheel where it only works intermittently in wireless mode. Switching between weapons in-game with the scroll wheel is extremely hit and miss, often requiring 2-3 additional clicks of the wheel to elicit any response. I shrugged this off as a defective unit and exchanged it at a different best buy today for another unit which is exhibiting the exact same behavior! This happens on multiple machines, and now with multiple mice. I believe razer has pushed out another buggy, unfinished product (*cough* deathstalker ultimate). I'm posting this because there is little to no information about this mouse out there as of now. I'm interested to hear the experiences of other owners, although it is too late for me, i'll be returning this for good tomorrow.

ive only seen positive reviews on youtube from people describing it as great!

Exactly as you described it only my second unit also seems to have horizontal tracking hiccups too (both samples had all of your symptoms). The Ouroboros seemed to disappear from stores and the Razer store for a while so maybe they saw the issues and made some production changes (wishful thinking). They are back in stock this week and I get my third unit on Friday so I am giving it one last chance.

Razer seems to be going further and further down the drain in regards to their quality. Don't know what's up with them or w/e but I don't buy Razer anymore. All I see are complaints and broken kit.

That will be disappointing if it's true. I think Razer has some great designs but I have to admit, I don't think I will buy one of their products without the Best Buy protection plans. It doesn't seem like obtaining warranty replacements is anywhere near as easy as it is with Logitech, from what I've read from others.

I have, had, two from BB. I have a fresh Win 8 install and like you couldn't get the mouse to stay connected wirelessly. It would also freeze when switching to wired 'charge' mode. Synapse 2.0 was another experience in itself. When first booting my internet froze until the Synapse loads, which could take several seconds, uninstalled Synapse, problem gone. This is a freakin' shame as I have a Taipan that I really like and 'am afraid to install Synapse.

My cousin has this mouse and swears by it. The sad thing is, the mouse cost more than the current GPU he has in his computer. Is it really worth it? I've been using an OG Deathadder 3.5G for the past year and love it.

Hey everyone,

Just as a heads up to anyone thinking about buying this mouse, I would think twice. I had a bunch of issues with mine which eventually led to me returning it. To be honest, the mouse is extremely well designed and physically looks and feels great. Here were the major issues I had with it and why I returned it:

1) Going from wired to wireless mode would often freeze the cursor, and the only thing I found that would fix it was a reboot.

2) The DPI switching (via the buttons on the top) would pause the cursor and cause it to be unresponsive for a few seconds, then would jitter for another few seconds before going back to normal.

3) The most aggravating issue was the mouse would randomly change the X-Y independent sensitivity on me while in a game or on the desktop. I would be playing a game of StarCraft 2 and all the sudden my mouse would only move along the X axis. I had to alt-tab or exit the game and go into the Synapse 2.0 software and reset the DPI manually for it to go back to normal. This happened way too often (about 4-5 times over the course of 3 days).

4) The rear piece of the mouse where my palm rested was not held on properly (because of the screw that adjusts the height of it) and wiggled when I was moving the mouse quickly. I feel like this is something Razer's design/engineering team skimped on, because the R.A.T mice have amazing screw adjustment pieces.

Honestly, for $130 Razer needs to step it up. I feel like the firmware and drivers for this aren't even close to good enough for the mouse to be released OR to charge this much for it. I loved the feel of it, and the wireless worked quite well even in FPS games. It's sad because I really wanted this mouse to be great, but I ended up going back to my trusty G9x.

Virai... snap i could have written that very same post...... 3). being the most annoying, drives me mad in BF3...

Same back to MY trusty logitech G9x

So the only good wireless gaming mouse is still the Logitech G700?

I have a G700, and while I love the performance, the battery life stinks. One afternoon of gaming, and it needs to be plugged in to charge.

Back