Better RAM speeds help OC?

4keatimj

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, here's a question from a friend, I had no idea what the answer was:
He has a mobo that has DDR 333. He's run into some problems with overclocking. The question is, if he installs DDR 400 RAM will he be able to OC the processor without having to OC the RAM? Won't that be better for stability and protecting RAM while overclocking the processor? (He has a 2.4 Northwood).
The more I thought about it, surely that could be a simple way to overclock? His current RAM is damaged, its OK on stock speeds but when he overclocks it by 1mhz it fails. He wants to know if installing DDR400 or 533 would be a simple answer?

if you want to run your memory at higher speeds, buy memory rated at DDR500 or such

IceWeasel said:
if you want to run your memory at higher speeds, buy memory rated at DDR500 or such

So if he bought DDR400 and put it in his system, he (obviously) would have a higher RAM speed, so he's not OC'ing the RAM, but he is OC'ing the processor. That would work, yes?

Since your friend is OCing a intel, it probably means he is trying to increase the FSB. Be aware that increasing FSB effects the memory as well if you are running them in synch (1:1 timings with the fsb, anything else would loose performance). So all in all, you pretty much have to OC the ram too.

And yes, DDR400 would be a nice place to start. Tell your friend to try brand names such as OCZ or Corsair as they arn't too expensive from the generic ones.

dragon5oul said:
Since your friend is OCing a intel, it probably means he is trying to increase the FSB. Be aware that increasing FSB effects the memory as well if you are running them in synch (1:1 timings with the fsb, anything else would loose performance). So all in all, you pretty much have to OC the ram too.

And yes, DDR400 would be a nice place to start. Tell your friend to try brand names such as OCZ or Corsair as they arn't too expensive from the generic ones.

Thanks. Thats a good way to put what he wants to do, I'll tell him. Again, thanks.

saying that the 2.4c is an 533FSB procand he buys some PC3200 - he'll be able to run the RAM at 1:1(133mHz) and still have a lot of room to OC. RAM limitations won't be in the picture anymore. If it's a 800FSB, the better go for some PC4000/4400:cool:

Back