• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Better performance with better ram, or not?

acrh2

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Messages
107
I've put together a system like this:
CPU: A64 Venice 3800+ @ 2.8GHz (10.5x266) @ 1.65V
RAM: 4x512 Geil Ulta Platinum PC4000 @ 215MHz @ 5-5-9-2.5 @ 2.5V
Motherboard: Abit AN8 SLI @HTT speed 4x266

I was hoping to get 30s in Super_PI, but I am getting 32.
I think the ram is holding me back. It's sandra benchmark is 5150MB/s.
This piece of sh1t ram won't even do what's in its SPD (5-5-9-2.0 @ 233, 5-5-9-2.5 @ 250).
I can't run anything faster than 225MHz even at CAS 3.
Increasing the voltage above 2.5V results in 1000-2000 errors in memtest. I did get a result once where increasing the voltage to 2.8V seemed to stabilize the ram, but I can't reproduce it, and I have already spent over 6 hours trying to tweak the ram.

Here are the questions for all overclocking gurus:
1) My other options are @ 280x10 the ram would run @ 233MHz, or @ 9.5x295 the ram would run @ 254MHz. Would I see better results in super_pi benchmark at those speeds? With better ram timing settings? How much?

2) If the answer is yes, what ram should I get? Would it be 2x1GB for 1T command rate?

3) If money is not an issue, what are my options?
 
get some pc4400 and call it a day for ddr because the next dimm you will be getting will be ddr2 or ddr3 depending on if amd can make up there mind
 
I would really hesitate to say this, as you are using a Venice, but could it be the memory controller? It's the most unlikeliest thing ever, what with the new Rev E cores, but there is obviously going to be a bad one every now and again. You could just have got one.. :(
 
AndoOKC1 said:
are you watercooled?

No, but I have 7x120mm case fans and xp90c.
Temps at full load are : cpu - 54C, system - 32C, pwm - 35C.
 
try lowering your HT multiplier to 3x...you wont suffer and performance hit....however you may suffer some difficult to recognize instability issues with your HT being greater than 1000mhz (yours is 4x266=1064) :)
 
AndoOKC1 said:
try lowering your HT multiplier to 3x...you wont suffer and performance hit....however you may suffer some difficult to recognize instability issues with your HT being greater than 1000mhz (yours is 4x266=1064) :)

I have tried this already.
 
I suspect that my current ram is simply too old for this motherboard (ram was made in 2002, according to spd).
What are these settings in bios, and how will they affect performance/stability: Bank Interleaving (enable/disable), MTRR Mapping Mode (continuous/discrete)?
 
Back
Top