Better OC chip, 2.8 Northwood or Prescott?

I'm running an Abit IC7-E2 (478) and I want to know which chip is known to be the better OC chip and why? I am currently running the 2.8 northwood, but a Prescott is in the mail(hand me down).

Northwood is going to consume less power, run cooler, processs faster, and overclock better.

Prescott's added several stages to the pipeline which made them slower until you reached something like 3.4GHz.

From what I have read the Prescotts tend to overclock higher than the Northies, however like the above poster said u need to get it over about 3.4 to perform better than the Northwood at the same clock speed.

Prescott will overclock higher but will run much MUCH hotter.

acascianelli said:
Prescott will overclock higher but will run much MUCH hotter.

That's not entirely true. I'm running a 660 Prescott OC'd to 3.73/1066 and the thing doesn't run all that hot. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I know that it wasn't that much hotter than my old 3.0 northwood.

to the OP - If you can get your hands on one of the 600 series prescotts, the ones with 2mb L2 cache, go for it. They are great chips. They are identical to the EE chips of the same core, just underclocked. I'm also running a file server with a 3.0 Dual Core and I'd say that the prescott is a better performer.

Ok, re-read the original post. I'm guessing the prescott that you are getting is one of the older socket 478 chips? Yea... they suck. Stick with the northwood. :D

2.8 Prescott C0/D0/E0: 89W
2.8 Northwood D1: 69.7W
2.8 Northwood M0: 75.1W

89W will quickly turn into 120+W when you start to overclock.

What kind of cooling do you have?

acascianelli said:
2.8 Prescott C0/D0/E0: 89W
2.8 Northwood D1: 69.7W
2.8 Northwood M0: 75.1W

89W will quickly turn into 120+W when you start to overclock.

What kind of cooling do you have?

Got an Arctic Cooling Freezer 4. Keeps the temps down pretty good.

Poncho: I can't keep my northie stable above 3.1, but my cuzzin had the Prescott at 3.4 stable on air also. BTW, it is an old 478.

I finally got a working SL6S5 to upgrade my old Gigabyte RDRAM board. Got it running pretty good at 3.3. Now I'm about to do 3 more upgrades. Given that the 2.8 Northwoods are about $75-100 less than the 533/3.06, should I opt for the 2.8 and crank it to 3.1? Does the HT make much of a difference? I don't mind spending the extra dough. I'm just trying to squeeze another year out of some production machines that are currently running 2.4 Northwood celerons.

My skt 478 Celeron D overclocks beautifully (prescott), and at 2.8ghz it loads at 52c(stock heatsink). While the prescotts run alittle hotter, they can usually overclock better than the northwoods. If you go for the northwood, try to get the 3.06ghz HT, while mine overclocks horribly its decently fast and the hyperthreading certainly does help in things like video encoding, etc.

Back