• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

better mac client?

arnemetis

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
4,292
hello, and yes I am sad to say, I own (rent?)a macintosh. its a g4 powerbook 1.5ghz 1gb ram, and I am not too fond of the f@h client for it. First, I need to display it in order to see if its even doing anything, and then I cant hide it without just hiding the program altogether. My major concern is its cpu use...on windows i can run f@h all the time because any time i do something cpu intensive, it gives way until the cycles are free again. On the mac, it seems to hog them 100%, and just slows the computer to an unusable level. I have to quit the program, and many times reboot, just to get a useable machine. Now the mac has sat in my room folding all summer, because to me, it is nothing more than a glorified mp3 player. However, I am returning to school now in september, and all my fellow students have one of these as well, and im pretty sure they wont go along with the program, just because it doesnt pause if you actually need to do something. I am looking for a client for the mac just like the graphical client for the pc, which can be easily paused, and doesnt reduce the computer to the level of a 200mhz celeron on win98. Now this may just be unavoidable because of apple's operating system or hardware, but if there was a solution to this problem, I figured this was the place to ask. Thanks for any help.
 
You might want to look here as there are a few threads releated directly to ibooks and folding such as this one. It doesn't appear to directly speak of your problem, but there might be something to be found in that area.

 
I swear I would drop out of ANY school with more than 5 macs on the entire campus, I'm allergic to them.
 
Back
Top