Better choice: Asus UL30VT-X1 or UL80VT-A1

negated

n00b
Price not being an issue (the UL80VT-A1 costs less right now), which is the better laptop? Also, can you compare build quality? I have a sneaking suspicion that the UL30 will be a more solid laptop (less flex, etc).

I'll be using this primarily at work at meetings for notes, etc but also to take when I go on flights/trips. I like the switchable graphics in both for times when I want to play a little CS:S, but still be able to take notes all day at work or watch a couple movies in a row on a flight.

Any opinions you'd like to share?

Thanks!

I don't have experience with the UL30, but I have had my UL80VT-A1 for a day. Specs wise, they should be the same thing, but regarding your flex issue I have seen many videos reviewing the UL80 showing that if you press down on the right palm rest area, you can visibly see and hear the laptop flexing. However, I cannot replicate that with the same amount of force, so maybe they fixed that in the newer ones coming out. However, when you have a disk spinning in the optical drive (which is right under that area), pressing down on it will cause an audible change like something is pressing against the disk while it is spinning, which can't be a good thing. It is not a major issue for me since I hardly ever need a disc in there spinning while I am doing stuff, but it might be for you.

How is the trackpad? Is it annoying or good to use? How is the multitouch?

Any luck using Nvidia's updated Optimus drivers or are you stuck with Asus' old driver?

Thanks!

The multitouch is working as intended. This is my first multitouch experience so I have no basis for comparison. The track pad was stick at first because you had sticker residue from peeling the sticker off. I am completely used to it now and hardly notice that. However, the mouse buttons are harder than normal to click, and I have almost completely switched over to using tap to click on the track pad, something that I never did before now.

No experience with the 30 but I have a 80vt and I love it. No flex in mine about 2 months old now. The multitouch works great for me. I can get almost 12 hours of battery time if I have it set to battery saving which is great. I also turn on the graphics to play cs:s and it does damn well !

I havent noticed any Flex in mine either. There was tons of bloatware on it though which was a real pain.

Back