Better Alternative to Winamp

Sphere

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Messages
2,389
Hello everyone,

I've been using WMP for the longest time. I decided to try out Winamp again after some years away from it. I played with it for a few hours trying to get the sound I wanted, but even manually adjusting the EQ, the sound was not to my liking compared to WMP.

Are there any other payers out there with better presets and a better EQ in general?

This will be for lossless mp3's and CD's.

Thanks
 
LOL. Lossless MP3's. Good one.

Here are some of the most well-known alternatives:

MediaMonkey
Songbird
Foobar2000

"Better" is a subjective term. Check these out and see which you like better. Also, why are you messing with EQ? Do you have a bass heavy or bass light or harshly bright setup?
 
LOL. Lossless MP3's. Good one.

Here are some of the most well-known alternatives:

MediaMonkey
Songbird
Foobar2000

"Better" is a subjective term. Check these out and see which you like better. Also, why are you messing with EQ? Do you have a bass heavy or bass light or harshly bright setup?

This. :)
 
Why don't you just edit the music files then instead of messing with EQ everytime you're playing different styles of music?
 
Another vote for Foobar200 and MediaMonkey.

You can customize both easily and they support many different types of files.
 
AIMP2 is a good player,free and does 32 bit play back as well
Does it have any midi settings, like winamp does?
Does foobar, or songbird?

To OP, I should note, I don't it helps to turn the eq on, although maybe it's just because few types of setups need it.
 
Thanks guys,

I'm going to do some downloading and see what grabs my attention :)
 
If you want infinite customization, but don't mind having to work just to get a decent to looking media player then Foobar2k is for you.

If you want something that does everything you want out of the box and looks good doing it, MediaMonkey is for you.

I moved from Foobar as it was just to buggy for me, and didn't play nicely with the FoxyTunes Firefox extension which I rely on heavily to play/pause and switch songs. Not to mention it had so many options that it was almost to hard just to do simple things with the UI. MM grabbed my attention with its good looks and solid performance out of the box, minimal tweaking necessary. I did however recently upgrade to the Gold version, well worth it IMO for the outstanding Library management features.
 
i got to say foobar wow.i had been using winamp until i seen this thread.i decided to give something else a try,and glad i did.:D
 
Winamp is bloated now days. I have been using spider player in its place.
 
If you take the time to learn how to use Foobar2000, you'll quickly discover that it's 10x better than Winamp ...
 
yeah i have been playing with its options.only thing i have yet to figuire out.is ive found some downloads for it.that are just dll files.these are supposed to be plugins for it.i cant figuire out how to install them.
 
yeah i have been playing with its options.only thing i have yet to figuire out.is ive found some downloads for it.that are just dll files.these are supposed to be plugins for it.i cant figuire out how to install them.

Whats really sad Is that this is my own experience with foobar and Even though I like the idea of configuration and am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff foobar is like swimming in a sea of different ways to configure things. So i ditched it for songbird. Foobar is where its at if you want to tinker for sure but songbird has its own share of plugins and is pretty lightweight for its capabilities IMHO.
 
well i have done figuired it out.its very simple really unpack them to the components folder.
 
yeah i have been playing with its options.only thing i have yet to figuire out.is ive found some downloads for it.that are just dll files.these are supposed to be plugins for it.i cant figuire out how to install them.

Assuming the dlls are named foo_*.dll, they are components. Copy them to the components directory. From there, go to Preferences and enable/configure them if necessary.
 
That's what happens when you leave the computer refreshed on the page hours before and reply without checking for new posts. :eek:
 
I'd like to add in a question to this thread. I run a dual boot machine of Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit and Vista-64. Does anybody know a good program that will actually rename the files based on ID3 tags? I have an entire library on my ipod, but want to get it back on my hard drive and organize it by "/BAND/ALBUM/Track# - Artist - Track Name.mp3".

Open to ideas on either platform. Thanks!

EDIT: It looks like Foobar2k can do it? Maybe? If someone can verify before I go installing and uninstalling a bunch of software that would be great!
 
In Windows, you can use Mp3tag. Drop every file in one directory, browse to the directory in Mp3tag, then use the following string to rename the files:
Code:
%band%/%album%/$num(%track%,2) - %artist% - %title%

You might want to consider copying the info in the band tag to the album artist field if it isn't there already. Most programs won't use the iTunes band tag as the album artist unless you manually specify it.
 
I'd like to add in a question to this thread. I run a dual boot machine of Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit and Vista-64. Does anybody know a good program that will actually rename the files based on ID3 tags? I have an entire library on my ipod, but want to get it back on my hard drive and organize it by "/BAND/ALBUM/Track# - Artist - Track Name.mp3".

Mp3 Rename (Windows):
http://www.nodesoft.com/MP3Rename/Default.aspx

I never did look into a linux equivalent since I found mp3 rename rather quickly and it works great.

P.S. Be sure to click the crack and keygen button on the page ;)
 
Dang phide - thats exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks a ton. It is still going to take a significant amount of time, but at least it won't be the huge daunting task that it could have been when I would be literally hand-renaming them 1 by 1 for over 30GB worth of mp3's.
 
Well, I used to use winamp during the 2x years because of an absolutely phenomenal plug in called sneakyamp. I used to play everquest which disallowed alt+tab, so it was pretty hard to set up a playlist and play at the same time. So sneakyamp allowed you to control winamp through text commands

IE. winamp play nofx""

Pretty cool. Games not allowing alt tab is a thing of the past AFAIK, but over the years different plug ins have become necessary for one purpose or another. I've never found them in WMP.
 
No, I was just probing to see if I was behind on the times, and if there was a *subjective* better sounding player.

I just want to make it clear in case anyone is still under this assumption, but there is no such thing as a "better sounding player".
 
Thanks a ton. It is still going to take a significant amount of time, but at least it won't be the huge daunting task that it could have been when I would be literally hand-renaming them 1 by 1 for over 30GB worth of mp3's.
Sure thing. Give me a shout if you hit any snags.

I just want to make it clear in case anyone is still under this assumption, but there is no such thing as a "better sounding player".
Very, very true.
 
<3 foobar.

BTW, no need for a 3rd party application for tags or file renames. For tagging, just use the GUI (Select items>Properties). For file move/copy/renames install the "File Operations" plugin (comes with foobar).


If your using the default user interface, I highly recommend the "Facets" plug-in.
 
Try Winamp with DFX, amazing sound quality and settings!

We need a facepalm emoticon.

55ms9.gif
 
Do any of the suggestions mentioned allow for the library database (?) to be portable? I keep my music on a shared drive on a home computer (soon to move into windows home server... maybe) but I travel a great deal. When this happens, I simply copy the entire folder to my laptop the night before my flight. Because of this, I've never wanted to get too attached to a media manager that I couldn't pick up and plop onto my laptop along with the actual music files. If there's something along these lines (a program, a feature, a strategy) that could help me out, that would be amazing!

I've tried a few of the players listed there and they are good. Winamp seems ancient but I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with it, is it poorly written? I like media monkey enough that if it supported the above requirement (plus displaying lyrics during playback--huge for me) I'd buy the gold edition.
 
Back
Top