Bethesda Suing Warner Bros. for “Blatant Rip-Off” of Fallout Shelter

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Bethesda is suing Warner Bros. and Fallout Shelter co-developer Behaviour Interactive for their newly released Westworld mobile game, which allegedly looks and plays a lot like Fallout Shelter. Aside from similar game design, art style, animations, and features, the games supposedly share the same copyrighted computer code, as evidenced by past bugs.

So why is Bethesda suing both parties instead of just Behaviour? According to the suit, "Warner Bros. has a direct financial interest in Behaviour’s infringing activities through the resulting reduced costs and expedited development of the Westworld mobile game." Bethesda is requesting compensation for this to recover damages.

But didn't Bethesda just rip off all the Tiny Tower games?

"Bethesda claims bugs appeared in the Westworld mobile game which were evident in the early development of Fallout Shelter. This bug appears when a player starts up a demonstration version of Westworld, and renders the view out-of-focus."

Implication that outright code was stolen. Big no-no.

Too bad the same amount of work that went into making westworld doesn't get put into the game.
All about cutting corners

Yeah if they are using some of the code even... Not looking good.

Quick EA, get on the phone to sue Bethesda for copying Sim Tower while they sue WB.

"Bethesda claims bugs appeared in the Westworld mobile game which were evident in the early development of Fallout Shelter. This bug appears when a player starts up a demonstration version of Westworld, and renders the view out-of-focus."

Well that is a horse of a different color!

I doubt the code was stolen.

It's more likely they used the same developer for both games, and the developer was just lazy and used the same early code base for the westworld game.

Lol, fell in the trap by signature Bethesda bugs. Can't beat that. So that's why they never fix their bugs.

Bugs to Bethesda is like radiation is to ghouls, it's a weapon for the owner, and they (Beth and ghouls) bask in the marvelous glow of such toxicity.

Lol, fell in the trap by signature Bethesda bugs. Can't beat that. So that's why they never fix their bugs.

Bugs to Bethesda is like radiation is to ghouls, it's a weapon for the owner, and they (Beth and ghouls) bask in the marvelous glow of such toxicity.

Laughed harder than I should have. Well played.

I doubt the code was stolen.

It's more likely they used the same developer for both games, and the developer was just lazy and used the same early code base for the westworld game.

"Bethesda said in its suit that Behaviour uses 'the same copyrighted computer code created for Fallout Shelter in Westworld.'" - although you are correct that the same developer (Behaviour Interactivate) made the original, it's still copyrighted. So I guess it's not theft but rather copyright infringement ("including Bethesda’s copyrighted code") and breach of contract ("misappropriating trade secrets"), my bad.

Last edited:
So why is Bethesda suing both parties instead of just Behaviour? According to reality, "Warner Bros. has significantly more money."

Back