Bethesda: Consoles to be Skyrim lead platform, aiming for "Really Accessible"

We wouldn't have forums if everyone agreed on everything.

Yeah but if you watch a lot of threads there are tons of people who just repeat each other. People would rather just go along with someone else's opinion than form their own a lot of times.

Oblivion sucked because it had fast-travel and Far Cry 2 sucked because it didn't have fast-travel. Perfect logic...just like how COD sucks because of its dated graphics but Portal 2 doesn't because graphics don't matter. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, if the game is being made "really accessible" then fast-travel should be the least of your concerns.

Funny as I never said Far Cry 2 sucked, never said CoDs graphics suck so the game sucks(on the contrary I enjoy CoD and the graphics are fine for me) and I never played portal 2 so I never commented on that either.

I love how everyone is going crazy because I mentioned fast travel, it was just an example of what pissed me off. Obviously there are other things that are much worse/can be made much worse in Skyrim.

You hit it Derangel. I formed my opinion and you formed yours, well actually you just told me to get over fast travel but that's fine.

Won't be a day 1 for me then.

If PC is an afterthought, then it will be an afterthought for me, and I will buy it after it hits bargain bin.

I can wait a year if necessary, no biggy.

Its always better to wait for at least the 2nd patch to come out with bethesda games. Their titles always have insane amounts of glitches at launch.

Funny as I never said Far Cry 2 sucked, never said CoDs graphics suck so the game sucks(on the contrary I enjoy CoD and the graphics are fine for me) and I never played portal 2 so I never commented on that either.

I love how everyone is going crazy because I mentioned fast travel, it was just an example of what pissed me off. Obviously there are other things that are much worse/can be made much worse in Skyrim.

My post wasn't directed at you. CTFD.

I still will adopt a wait and see approach, let's wait till we see the final product before rendering any judgement. As it stands now, it's a bit premature to go on bloviating about how it's the end of the world untill you start to border blowing a vein in your forehead and becoming apoplexic.

If we are all being fair minded here, we can all mostly agree that what made Oblivion good wasn't the main game itself, but the 274027 mods you could download and implement into the game to custom tailor it to your liking.

Jesus Christ guys, it's almost like a mob mentality breaks out on here any time there is a topic of substance and people post like buffoons instead of taking a moment to think about past history and the implications of what we're seeing now.

As long as there is a strong modding community for Skyrim and the tools are there to build the world how we want it then I don't think there is anything to worry about in terms of the game being dumbed down for console users.

Fast travel was optional though. . . . .

So funny how people pile on something that is OPTIONAL, the word optional, is that you have a choice between doing it or not doing it.

The arguments on here sometimes are simply breathtaking exercises in lack of common sense.

Another issue is that many games don't allow for mods anymore. If THIS happens to the game...well, you could heat homes for a long winter with heat energy generated by the nerd rage.

Well has there been any official statements about mods yet? With all the games coming up, I can't keep track. I highly doubt they'd turn their backs on PC gamers to that extent, and if there's a definite answer out there, that would be a whole hell of a lot better than worried speculation.

In general though, I'm with most people that this news sucks but mods will fix it. That whole path to the quest objective is optional but I'm sure plenty of people will bitch about it.

<a href="http://www.gamersmint.com/bethesda-consoles-to-be-the-lead-platform-for-skyrim-aim-to-make-it-really-accessible">Source</a>

Here's the article in case anyone else is having trouble getting it to load:

Bethesda: Consoles to be the lead platform for Skyrim, aim to make it “really accessible”In an interview with CVG, Bethesda’s Craig Lafferty said that Skyrim has been developed with consoles as the lead target.The lead producer on Skyrim said: “We use the consoles as our lead SKU… So we develop towards the consoles and then porting to PC is usually not too bad actually .

”The above comments are likely to cause PC gamers a bit of grief, and the next thing on Craig Lafferty’s mind was unlikely to appease them.“We wanted to take it and make it really accessible,” the producer said.“… We still have the complexity behind the scenes, but we wanted to make it so that you could pick up the controller and play and it was easy; the average person could get into it…We knew we wanted to make the user interface a little bit more open and available … get away from the stats and things like that.”Hopefully this doesn’t mean we will be getting a dumbed down version of the RPG, but rather a slicker and more streamlined game. Simplifying RPG’s usually equates to commercial success, but also causes a split in your core audience, as we saw with Dragon Age 2. Bethesda will have to make sure they don’t alienate its established fan base in its quest to please the “average person”.The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim releases on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on November 11.

Thoughts?

Fuck.

While it doesn't make this statement look any better, at least they are being honest about it and not blowing bubbles and sunshine up our asses by telling us it will be a PC game first.

Personally, it has effected my interest level in the game though. Will I still get it? Most likely, unless it starts heading the direction that Duke Nukem Forever is. Will I get it immediately? Probably not. It takes time for patches, and time for mods to come out turn the gameplay into what I suspect I'll want the game to be like for me. We'll see if this is the case as we hear more and more about it, though it seems likely that they'll make less profit from myself and others who will adopt a wait and see approach because of statements like this.

Of course, these costs will be completely overcompensated by the amount of lowest common denominator console gamers who will buy the product in droves and once again give the impression that these dumbed-down reduced-complexity titles are the best types of games, you know, the ones that everyone wants. :rolleyes:

I can't blame them for chasing the profit, but it will mean that I'll be more interested in seeing what the smaller PC-focused devs are putting out, and will have my eye on the indie devs too.

Now, if they dropped mod support for TES V... :eek:

Fast travel was optional though. . . . .

So funny how people pile on something that is OPTIONAL, the word optional, is that you have a choice between doing it or not doing it.

The arguments on here sometimes are simply breathtaking exercises in lack of common sense.

Exactly, people who bitch about fast travel need to stop talking. Yolur not forced to use it, I for one enjoy fast travel as I have to balance my games around work, wife and kids and life in general. While I enjoy seeing the scenery once and a while, having to spend half my time traveling from place to place means its going to take me a long time to finish any games.

Lol already posted 3 times that fast travel was just an example of one thing being "dumbed down" in newer Elder Scrolls...and we still talk about it..kewl.

And would you rather have stilt striders or the fast travel system and useless horses? The thing is, fast travel is alright but I think they should have added and alternate system such as stilt striders.(An option like in Fallout NV where you can choose hardcore or normal woulda been cool, with hardcore having stilt striders and no fast travel and normal having fast travel and stilt striders if you really wanted to use them while having fast travel).

TBH, this just means BF3 will be bought before this and I will wait for reviews on this.

They are such criminal scum if they think that can just stop right there and not pay attention to PCs. Watch, nobody breaks into PC gaming. We should all confiscate their goods and make them pay a fine or send them to jail!

Well has there been any official statements about mods yet? With all the games coming up, I can't keep track. I highly doubt they'd turn their backs on PC gamers to that extent, and if there's a definite answer out there, that would be a whole hell of a lot better than worried speculation.

In general though, I'm with most people that this news sucks but mods will fix it. That whole path to the quest objective is optional but I'm sure plenty of people will bitch about it.

They confirmed mods a little while ago.

I will have to admit that this news definitely leaves me feeling a little down. We say PC gaming isnt dead, and it is not, yet what we are seeing is that PC is becoming more and more as a secondary platform for development. Soon, there wont be any point in buying high priced rigs because the nature of console ports leads to the PC version being constrained by the limits of consoles. We might as well call it Console Port Gaming at that point.

Sure we will all play games on PC, but are they really PC games?

I will have to admit that this news definitely leaves me feeling a little down. We say PC gaming isnt dead, and it is not, yet what we are seeing is that PC is becoming more and more as a secondary platform for development. Soon, there wont be any point in buying high priced rigs because the nature of console ports leads to the PC version being constrained by the limits of consoles. We might as well call it Console Port Gaming at that point.

I've been saying it for a few years: The age of 3rd party exclusive titles is ending. It's not a smart business decision to make exclusives unless you're guaranteed to make good sales or are getting paid to do it. Some games make more sense as exclusives, but most don't. Games are expensive to make and are only going to get more expensive.

Actually, I see the opposite.

More and more console games are porting to PC...

It's a sign that industry realize how important PC Platform is, and some developer like DICE realize certain games have better sales on PC and know where to push.

I think Bethesda here have its reason. He is right, "accessibility" is one that limited the market, and they trying to break through that wall, even though not many of them are success like they mention about DA2.

Some certain new exclusive title like Metal Gear Solid: Rising is also coming for PC.
Heck, even Kojima himself said the PC is the future at this moment.

I guess that depends on your definition of a PC game. Skyrim with mods will surely be 1000x better on the PC. Not to mention mouse + keyboard support, high resolution monitors, and a developer console.

Many games have come out for PC and consoles that are not limited by the other side.

They are such criminal scum if they think that can just stop right there and not pay attention to PCs. Watch, nobody breaks into PC gaming. We should all confiscate their goods and make them pay a fine or send them to jail!

I see what you did there :D

As far a accessibility goes, it's totally possible to have compelling gameplay that's not too difficult. Take the fast travel issue for example - they could still make it possible to skip to important places but instead of using a cheesy UI option they could have travel services that you pay for that add flavor and uniqueness to the world!

Oh, wait...

serious edit: This announcement is not unexpected. It just means I'll be waiting for reviews before I get the game and I'll probably spend half of my time modding the game instead of playing. As long as the construction set isn't horribly simplified, I don't think this will be much of a problem.

Last edited:
I guess that depends on your definition of a PC game. Skyrim with mods will surely be 1000x better on the PC. Not to mention mouse + keyboard support, high resolution monitors, and a developer console.

Many games have come out for PC and consoles that are not limited by the other side.

A PC game is simply a game that releases on the PC. Anything beyond that is basically elitist bullshit. We take the good with the bad, that's life.

Not worried at all. They did a great job porting Oblivion. As long as they correct it's flaws, they'll have an awesome game.

Uhh no duh? The 360 was the lead platform for Oblivion and Fallout 3 as well. The easily accesable stuff is disappointing, but not unexpected. I want complex Elder Scrolls back, BUT if they can make the game more fun than Oblivion then I'm happy. Mods will fix other problems.

no it wasnt. the pc version was

You say mods will fix/imrpove the game. what if this game is not moddable anymore? then what?

You say mods will fix/imrpove the game. what if this game is not moddable anymore? then what?

The game would be dramatically different and lose its core appeal for me. But it has already been confirmed to support modding and the same tools will provided like the previous games. A significant amount of the game is actually built using the same editor as far as I know.

I really don't care about the specific game play details of Bethesda games, I always end up modding and customizing them anyways, which is the core appeal to me. To me the appeal of the game is that it is a sandbox beyond the limitations of the game world, since you alter the core game world.

As for the actual changes being discussed. If they alter the skill and leveling system, I don't see why that immediately is a bad thing. As far as I know some of the most popular mods changed the skill/leveling, doing things that would be deemed making it more "accessible" (removing the need for instance to micromanage skill rewards to maximize attribute distribution). This suggests to me the player base was not happy with the existing system anyways.

Also for something like fast travel, the mods and self control option to not use it was there, yet as far as I know the minority took advantage of these on the PC. Again this suggests the majority of the player base, even on the PC, is not against ease of travel mechanics.

Just because an individual gamers personally likes something that is changed does not mean the game is ruined for everyone else.

Exactly right.

A PC game is simply a game that releases on the PC. Anything beyond that is basically elitist bullshit. We take the good with the bad, that's life.

Pretty much.

If it's a good game and is prepared well for the PC then that's all that matters to me.

The game would be dramatically different and lose its core appeal for me. But it has already been confirmed to support modding and the same tools will provided like the previous games. A significant amount of the game is actually built using the same editor as far as I know.

I really don't care about the specific game play details of Bethesda games, I always end up modding and customizing them anyways, which is the core appeal to me. To me the appeal of the game is that it is a sandbox beyond the limitations of the game world, since you alter the core game world.

As for the actual changes being discussed. If they alter the skill and leveling system, I don't see why that immediately is a bad thing. As far as I know some of the most popular mods changed the skill/leveling, doing things that would be deemed making it more "accessible" (removing the need for instance to micromanage skill rewards to maximize attribute distribution). This suggests to me the player base was not happy with the existing system anyways.

Also for something like fast travel, the mods and self control option to not use it was there, yet as far as I know the minority took advantage of these on the PC. Again this suggests the majority of the player base, even on the PC, is not against ease of travel mechanics.

Just because an individual gamers personally likes something that is changed does not mean the game is ruined for everyone else.

I used fast travel quite often myself. As much as I like just traveling in the games sometimes I just want to go to the next city and get on with the plot. Plus after seeing the same dungeon fifty times I get much less interested in the experience of traveling to it.

I used fast travel quite often myself. As much as I like just traveling in the games sometimes I just want to go to the next city and get on with the plot. Plus after seeing the same dungeon fifty times I get much less interested in the experience of traveling to it.

It's a nice convenience to have. It's nice to have the choice. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. Same goes for Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

It's a nice convenience to have. It's nice to have the choice. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. Same goes for Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

I would have preferred silt striders, propylon indexes, mark/recall, and mage guild teleporters. You either had to fast travel (which breaks immersion) or hoof it (often boring) in Oblivion.

There is no need tot ake out fast travel for those that like it, but taking out a travel system that worked perfectly fine doesn't make sense either. Both can exist. I don't care about "but it costs dev time!", I care about my enjoyment.

Anyway, the map function looks interesting. Hopefully the clouds are "fog of war", rather than actually obscuring the map. I don't see a reason to have a beautiful map you can't see.

I also like the idea of a 3D inventory with object you can manipulate, possibly finding hidden inscriptions or symbols. That's a good idea.

I would have preferred silt striders, propylon indexes, mark/recall, and mage guild teleporters.

I like those, too.

There's something special in Morrowind about hearing and seeing those silt striders. I'll never forget the first time.

You either had to fast travel (which breaks immersion) or hoof it (often boring) in Oblivion.

True.

There is no need tot ake out fast travel for those that like it, but taking out a travel system that worked perfectly fine doesn't make sense either. Both can exist. I don't care about "but it costs dev time!", I care about my enjoyment.

Anyway, the map function looks interesting. Hopefully the clouds are "fog of war", rather than actually obscuring the map. I don't see a reason to have a beautiful map you can't see.

I also like the idea of a 3D inventory with object you can manipulate, possibly finding hidden inscriptions or symbols. That's a good idea.

Agreed with all of that.

I would have preferred silt striders, propylon indexes, mark/recall, and mage guild teleporters. You either had to fast travel (which breaks immersion) or hoof it (often boring) in Oblivion.

I think the thing that got my attention early on was essentially random encounters with dragons. Could make early parts of the game where you're not that powerful. As long as the game doesn't have the stupidly annoying horribly done level scaling system.

I agree with pretty much everything in this post. What I liked so much about the silt striders and mage teleporters was that you got that feeling that you were playing something that was more than simply "just a game". It really added to the immersion, it made you feel like you ARE the character in the game and you're doing all these fantastic fantasy-style things. It's definitely in my top 5 of greatest gaming memories.

All I'm gonna say is they better not fuck this up.

Skyrim will definatly look better on the PC out of the box regardless of being developed on the console. What I am more concerned with is how the game plays, the inventory system and the over all complexity of the game. I don't want combat or the inventory system to be dumbed down to better suit the console controller like in Dragon Age 2.

One thing I do hope they change from Oblivion are the dungeons. If you explored one dungeon or one oblivion hellgate you explored them all. Please give us a little more variety.

One thing I do hope they change from Oblivion are the dungeons. If you explored one dungeon or one oblivion hellgate you explored them all. Please give us a little more variety.

I wouldn't worry that much about it. They specifically said the dungeons are not randomly generated cut and paste garbage. From what little I've seen, the level design looks to be at least adequate, possibly even well done.

As far as the dragon encounters go, I'm really happy they aren't scripted. Like Derangel mentioned, level scaling could ruin that, but I'm hoping they are smater than that.

Basically.....

Fuck them.

BF3 has proven that actually PC centric development is possible for a major AAA title, produce a game that pushes the boundaries of what is possible on both platforms.

Anything less is crap, the age of consolized bullshit is at an end, they want a sale? Make some fucking effort!

[/opinion]

Back