Bethesda Blocks Resale of Used Game

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Bethesda has threatened to sue Amazon Marketplace seller Ryan Hupp for selling a sealed copy of The Evil Within 2. While the resale of used, unaltered copyrighted goods is generally protected by US law, the company’s lawyers argued it didn’t apply here, as the game lacked a warranty and was therefore “materially different from genuine products.”

Bethesda’s legal firm Vorys sent Hupp a letter, which he forwarded to Polygon, warning that the game must be taken down and threatening legal action for non-compliance. In its letter, Vorys made the argument that Hupp’s sale was not “by an authorized reseller,” and was therefore “unlawful.” Bethesda also took issue with Hupp’s use of the word “new” in selling the unwrapped game, claiming that this constituted “false advertising.”

2. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

A single fucking game and they're crying about it? :eek:

3. Krazy925

Krazy925 epeen +11

I predict serious unexpected consequences from this decision

4. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom Gawd

dear bethesda.
    you are starting to piss people off and your games are not so good that you can do that.
    stoppit.

5. zalazin

zalazin [H]ard|Gawd

this will backfire on Bethesda big time watch their sales drop......

6. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

Aren't greedy people great!! Greedy corporations are even better!!

I love the path humanity is taking and I would like to thank the sad population for our new end game.

Go Bethesda!!!

Meeho and pendragon1 like this.
  7. Denpepe

Denpepe Gawd

I like it, maybe this is a step towards stopping scalpers from buying stuff ro sell at a profit like collectors editions..

8. MMitch

MMitch Limp Gawd

Well if it was done in this intention, good... but was it ?

9. HeadRusch

HeadRusch Gawd

Um, this is Zenimax....is there anything they do NOT do to piss off the community? Sue VR creators after-the-fact, demonize the mod community that made their games playable and pretty by introducing paid-mods, and they continue to rehash their same, tired engine because they have absolutely no financial reason not to: They know people are going to buy this shit. I would absolutely believe they'd be the company to start suing trying to stop people from selling used games :D

Daroller, Armenius, KarsusTG and 4 others like this.
  10. Tactlesss

Tactlesss n00bie

So wait is it a used console copy or PC copy? Because if was a console version then Bethesda can go fuck themselves.

11. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Do you want to sell me Doom Eternal? Cause this is how you end up not selling me Doom Eternal. Fuck with the community, they vote with their wallets.

12. SolidBladez

SolidBladez [H]ardness Supreme

Looks like a PS4 copy.

13. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow [H]ardForum Junkie

This is what happens when a company has been too successful for too long. The people who make great products get replaced by the parasites from marketing or legal.

Armenius, KazeoHin, N4CR and 4 others like this.
  14. CrazyRob

CrazyRob [H]ard|Gawd

I can understand a publisher taking issue with marketplace sellers listing items as "new" when they may not be in original condition, as they want to protect their brand, and don't want people to get the wrong impression of what their new products are actually like. But this seems like an overly heavy-handed method if that's the case. They requested him to remove not just this listing, but any other listing of any Bethesda product. That's just spiteful and simply pointless. What are they trying to gain from this other than negative press? How could this possibly be good for anyone?

Armenius likes this.
  15. Tactlesss

Tactlesss n00bie

Well if they are going this hard for a "used" copy of the evil within 2 then it makes me wonder if Zenimax is scared that Fallout 76 will be a clunker.

Armenius likes this.
  16. Brokennails

Brokennails [H]ard|Gawd

Hahah, Bethesda! Buying my game keys from a third party reseller now. Suck it!

P.S. Probably why Fallout 76 isn't being sold on Steam as Steam allows refunds.

Armenius and Tactlesss like this.
  17. Evil Timmy

Evil Timmy [H]Lite

Crazy that Bethesda is overreaching this far, and I feel the tentacles of ZeniMax and their swarms of lawyers hard at work on this one. This isn't a game key, account, or other license, this is a physical item with a UPC, sealed in the original packaging. "Shrink-wrap EULAs" have already been found to be BS, now you just have to look at a game's packaging for it to constitute acceptance of their terms and conditions? Up with this we will not put!

Armenius likes this.
  18. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

copies sold: 30,000,000 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Bethesda Game Studios Bethesda Softworks November 11, 2011 Multi-platform

Bethesda gets a free pass unfortunately, since no one else is going to be releasing an elder scrolls VI

19. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

first sale doctrine applies here does it not?

20. auntjemima

auntjemima Hand Jobs Legend

The cost of the lawyers time cannot be worth it for one copy.

Armenius likes this.
  21. RogueTrip

RogueTrip 2[H]4U

Yeah. I'd like to see that go to court as reason of a warranty blocks the sale of a used piece of software and voids the first sale doctrine.

So lame bethesda.

Armenius likes this.
  22. Danny Dawg

Danny Dawg [H]ard|Gawd

Oh I get it now . . . "the game lacked a warranty and was therefore 'materially different from genuine products' . . ..so that's why the damn games don't have to work on the first day you buy them.

Armenius, Tactlesss, mkk and 3 others like this.
  23. HeadRusch

HeadRusch Gawd

It sucks when a game that people enjoy is made by a company that people generally despise :)

That lawfirm, btw, seems to advertise that as its bread-and-butter..helping companies crack-down on resales or First Seller laws.

But Bethesda has not yet challend the NerdVerse...and it's armies are Vast. Vaaaaast....

Armenius likes this.
  24. RealBeast

RealBeast Gawd

Bethesda's attorneys are completely full of shit IMO (as a patent and copyright attorney since 1998). Most judges that I've dealt with in Federal court would slap them back to last Tuesday for arguments that frivolous that completely lack legal authority.

Armenius and ItWasMe like this.
  25. SecretStash

SecretStash Limp Gawd

I think boycotting fallout 76 will help put them in their place. By the time we get new single player games, maybe they will be more humble again.

^ the opposite will happen though.

Tactlesss, Meeho and Aioeyu like this.
  26. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

I don't think Bethesda has any legal power to interfere with game resales including whether they're listed as "new" or "used". Bethesda simply doesn't have any such policing power.

The US Supreme Court has ruled that people may resell their copyrighted goods without needing any permission from the copyright holder - period: Supreme Court Boosts Right To Resell Copyrighted Goods

For Bethesda to say that people may not sell their games as "new", that would be requiring a permission from the copyright-holder to do so, and so is invalidated by the US Supreme Court's ruling.

Bethesda is no stranger to unscrupulous practices and lawsuits, just as they are no stranger to losing the lawsuits they file against other people and developers.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Armenius likes this.
  27. ChoGGi

ChoGGi [H]ard|Gawd

It's Zenimax, I'd be surprised if they didn't have lawyers on retainer.

Armenius and auntjemima like this.
  28. xmadror

xmadror Limp Gawd

so I guess they don't know about ebay ?

auntjemima likes this.
  29. _l_

_l_ I Am A Cock

if EA or Steam or whoever suddenly claimed bankruptcy and then closed shop, what would happen to millions of PC gamer's games?

30. SecretStash

SecretStash Limp Gawd

A lot of angry non-pirates would feel justified in finding a way to acquire their drm free copy.

Armenius and Tactlesss like this.
  31. Nytegard

Nytegard 2[H]4U

And this is why streaming games from "the cloud" is the future of computing. We're basically going to be time travelling back to the 1970s when your access to computers was via dumb terminals.

Companies will give some sort of reasoning such that they can provide bleeding edge PC performance for a minimal cost, but the bottom line is you'll no longer have any ownership of your games. You'll be renting time to play video games. And when you're done, that's money you'll never be able to get back. And since there is no real product, you can't return time.

Armenius, Tactlesss and dvsman like this.
  32. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

:D:D:D:D:D

33. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

An that's when I'll stop spending money on computer games. I'm getting too old to really enjoy them as much as I used to, so this won't be much of a loss.
    Already see this with phone games. I have never paid for any apps/games on my android phone. The few games I play are free, and I just ignore the in-app purchases and ads.

Maybe I'm just old, but I've always prefer to own, not rent.

I've never leased a car, or even rented a place to live.
    I bought a condo when I moved out of my parents house after college. I knew once I started paying rent, I would never be able save enough for a down payment.
    Actually, I paid my parents rent the last year I lived at home because I was no longer going to school, and was just working. Wasn't much, just enough to cover food and utilities.

Armenius and dvsman like this.
  34. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

The real bottom line is you won't own anything. You'll rent your living quarters, rely on self-driving taxi services for transport, stream your entertainment, subscribe to the software you need. Clothing-as-a-Service, Food-as-a-Service, sure, why not?

Eventually the 1% will own 100%, and the 99% will work for them to earn their monthly fees.
    The end-game business model is LaaS: Life-as-a-Service.

Armenius, Tactlesss and DrLobotomy like this.
  35. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

A judge I worked for once told me the average IQ for attorneys was 80.
    And that's the average.

Note that the average IQ in the population is 100, and that an IQ of 70 is considered Mild Mental Retardation.

LightsOut41 and Armenius like this.
  36. Meeho

Meeho 2[H]4U

Was he an attorney at some point? :)

37. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

Yes. As am I.

38. gbnz

gbnz n00bie

I can see where Bethesda is coming from with this and as someone who has been stung by buying a stolen phone which was advertised as "new"

For all Bethesda knows the game could of been stolen or repackaged but on the otherhand this happens all the time especially on ebay and with other importers so they are going to really struggle to fight it.

39. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

This is a cluster fuck...

40. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Wow trying to resell an unopened, shrink wrapped game is getting this much hate. Crazy. Go ahead and open it and sell it as "used" I guess. Or go to Gamestop and get your $2.