Beta Update 1.4 for Skyrim On Steam

HardOCP News

[H] News
Anyone having issues with the PC version of Skyrim should check out the Bethsda Blog today for info on the beta 1.4 update. It is still in development but it addresses almost 50 bugs and broken quests.

Skyrim is using Steam’s beta functionality to give users an early look at the 1.4 Update currently in development. What does beta mean? This patch is still in development. Apply the update at your own risk and only if you are affected by issues listed in the fix notes. Be sure to back up your saved games or simply be careful not to overwrite your existing saves. If you decide to opt out of the beta program, your old saves will still work with the current release of Skyrim (v 1.3).

I haven't had a single crash since patch 1.3, but I have had a couple minor quest glitches. Will report back once I finish playing today. I just wish they'd fix the first achievement (bleak falls burrow), so I can finish them off.

For me, this patch gives far better performance.

1920x1080 Ultra Preset 8x/16x, 12.1a drivers, HD6970, 940/1400 clocks.

Same save spot.
1.3.10.0 - 32
1.4.15.0.4 - 48

1.4.15.0.4 - 50 (RC11 drivers, ymmv)

35kird0.gif

would "issues" include not being able to cancel a quest once started or unable to access dialog because the NPC wants you to finish a different quest first or drop items with weight 'cuz that NPC is dead or you don't have that quest (picking up a quest specific target should start said quest) in the first place

I can't believe none of the developers looked at fallout 3 (another Bethesda game btw) and said " wow, look at that multiple dialog choices and a quest drop link! "

I've made about 160 hours and love the game other than these things. :)

Anyone post a list of the changelog? I cannot get past the "enter your birthdate" field....

Same save spot.
1.3.10.0 - 32
1.4.15.0.4 - 48

35kird0.gif

Is that seriously the exact same time of day and exact same save and exact same settings? 1.4 BETA has far better lighting as well as far better performance. Some of the distant torches in 1.3 weren't illuminating anything and now they are in 1.4.

Same save spot.
1.3.10.0 - 32
1.4.15.0.4 - 48

Did the lighting conditions change?

Edit: Tudz ninja'd me.

Beta Patch Notes (1.4.15)

NEW FEATURES

Skyrim launcher support for Steam Workshop*

BUG FIXES

General optimizations for memory and performance
Optimized bookshelf script in player-owned houses that would occasionally cause active scripts to lag and also cause an increase to saved games filesize (PS3)

Improved compiler optimization settings

Memory optimizations related to scripting
Fixed crashes related to pathing and AI
Fixed crash in Haemar's Shame if player had already completed "A Daedra's Best Friend"
Fixed rare crash with loading saved games
Fixed issue with accented characters not displaying properly at the end of a line
Fixed issue where quests would incorrectly progress after reloading a save
Fixed issues with placing and removing books from bookshelves in the player's home
Fixed issue where weapon racks and plaques would not work correctly in player's house if player immediately visits their house before purchasing any furnishing.
Fixed issue where the player house in Windhelm would not clean up properly
Fixed crash related to giant attacks and absorb spells
Fixed issue with ash piles not cleaning up properly
Fixed occasional issue where overwriting an existing save would fail
Fixed memory crash with container menu
Fixed infinite loop with bookshelves
Fixed issue where traps in Shalidor's Maze would not work properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian versions
Fixed issue where transforming back to human from werewolf would occasionally fail
Bows and daggers will display properly when placed on weapon racks

QUEST FIXES

The Unusual Gem inside the Thalmor Embassy is now accessible after finishing "Diplomatic Immunity"
In "Breaching Security", the quest token is no longer required to receive a fortune reading from Olava the Feeble
Fixed issue where Galmar would not complete Joining the Stormcloaks properly if "Season Unending" was an active quest
Fixed issue where starting "Season Unending" after finishing "Joining the Stormcloaks" would prevent "The Jagged Crown" from starting properly.
Fixed issue progressing through "Message to Whiterun" while "Season Unending" was still open would block progression for both quests.
In "Arniel's Endeavor", fixed issue where a quest journal would trigger multiple times
In "Forbidden Legend", the amulet fragment can no longer disappear after player leaves a dungeon without taking it
Fixed rare issue in "Forbidden Legend" where killing Mikrul Gauldurson while sneaking would make his corpse unaccessible
In "The White Phial", the phial can no longer disappear if player leaves dungeon without taking it
"The White Phial" will now start properly if player already has a briar heart in their inventory
Player can no longer get stuck in Misty Grove after completing "A Night to Remember"
Fixed issue where leaving Riften during "A Chance Arrangement" would prevent quest from progressing
In "Darkness Returns", a door in Twilight Sepulcher will properly open if the player leaves the dungeon for an extended period of time before completing the quest
In "Revealing the Unseen", if the player leaves the Oculory for an extended period of time after placing the focusing crystal and returns, the quest will proceed correctly
"Onmund's Request" will now start properly if player has already found Enthir's staff before receiving this quest
Fixed instance where Tonilia would stop buying stolen items and also would not give Guild Leader Armor
"Repairing the Phial" will start properly if player already has unmelting snow or mammoth tusk in their inventory
Finding Pantea's Flute before speaking with Pantea no longer prevents her quest from updating
In "The Break of Dawn", fixed rare instance where a quest object would spawn incorrectly on the Katariah during Hail Sithis
Fixed rare issue in "The Mind of Madness" where player is unable to equip the Wabbajack
Fixed issue in "Pieces of the Past" where Mehrunes Dagon's Razor will not trigger properly if player leaves the cell for extended period of time before activating it
"Blood's Honor" will start properly if you visited and completed Driftshade and an extended period of time passes before starting the quest.
Fixed rare issue where "Dampened Spirits" would not start properly
Fixed issue where killing guards in Cidhna Mine would block progression for "No One Escapes Cidhna Mine"
Fixed numerous issues with "Blood on the Ice" not triggering properly
In "Blood on the Ice", Calixto can now be killed if player owns a house in Windhelm
In "The Cure for Madness", killing Cicero then resurrecting him no longer impedes quest progress
Fixed rare issue in "To Kill an Empire" where an NPC would fail to die properly
Clearing Knifepoint Ridge before starting "Boethiah's Champion" no longer prevents quest from starting.

*Steam Workshop not yet available.

Is that seriously the exact same time of day and exact same save and exact same settings? 1.4 BETA has far better lighting as well as far better performance. Some of the distant torches in 1.3 weren't illuminating anything and now they are in 1.4.

Yep, made a new save file, took the screenshot via fraps. Downloaded new patch, loaded the same save file and took a screenshot right after it was loaded. Didn't move anywhere, all preset Ultra 8x/16x.. same drivers. I actually have another screenshot where one of my weapon charge was showing and it still showed 48.

tesv2012012319580631.jpg

Basically I've heard that this patch is optimized even past what Skyboost was doing and that SB is no longer needed. Nice!

Basically I've heard that this patch is optimized even past what Skyboost was doing and that SB is no longer needed. Nice!

Bethesda has access to the source so of course they can do a better job faster. All they probably did was flag it while Arisu and Alex had to do it by hand. It is horrible that Bethesda didn't do this in the first place.

hmm i really want this, but i'm afraid of anything Bethesda releases labeled 'beta' ... you guys can do the guinea pigging on this one :p

That's not fair! I'm still waiting for the patch to fix Rage!

Damn Skyrim fanbois...

It doesn't look like the lighting model changed to me;
It looks more like the fog is just in different locations between screen shots.
Little things like that are apparent; look at the torch flames, they're in different stages of their animations between shots. Stuff like that is bound to be different.

Glad for the performance boost, though.

Looking forward to this patch, I was getting major crash to desktop issues with this game in my testing, especially at Eyefinity.

I just tested the Whiterun area and it seems like UZ7's 1.3.1 lighting was bugged or something as my lighting looks the same as his does in 1.4.15 even though I am still on 1.3.1.

I just tested the Whiterun area and it seems like UZ7's 1.3.1 lighting was bugged or something as my lighting looks the same as his does in 1.4.15 even though I am still on 1.3.1.

Ah really? well minus the lighting how is the performance overall?

Oh Bethesda, how I love and hate thee. You release awesome games, but only half finish them on release. Then after I've burnt myself out on them, you release patches to fix them.

Alright people were saying the lighting was off, I'm not sure if it happened when I took the screenshot but dj_2004 (thanks) said he had the same look as the beta on his 1.3 so I redid it again and what do you know, not sure if it was when I saved the pic or fraps doing but I redid it just to be more accurate and it didn't change any visuals but performance is clearly there.

1920x1080, Ultra Preset 8x/16x, HD6970 940/1400, RC11 Drivers (first pic was 12.1a).

35a9mr9.gif

havn't tried the new beta patch yet but with 1.3 after around 250 hours and over 100 manual saves I couldn't enter certain locations without an immediate crash (Dark Brotherhood sanctuary and Understone Keep)...lots of people reporting the same issue over at the Bethesda forums...anyone know if this issue has been fixed?

its beta so mods can get updated. someone has said even with the skse update they still get crashes. I disabled skyui and will wait to the the bugs get worked out there. performance in markarth is great.

Reporting in. SLI finally works for me!!! there was an issue when I was using SLI earlier that caused everything to flicker if I kept Vsync on, and when I turned off Vsync I would die from the physics bugging out.

Now I have 4 GPU Alternate Frame Rendering 2 (Dual GTX295) working and I'm getting 50-60fps outdoors and locked at 60 indoors at 1680x1050. Yeah I know it's a low resolution, but it definitely runs smoother now.

However some of the actual quest glitches are still present for me. My dragon mask keep making my head invisible. And I just completed a quest I never started and it is no where to be found in my journal. Other than that much awesomeness from this patch.

Was using skyboost before.
Beta 1.4 patch lets me use ultra and all sliders maxed(except shadows)
Ultra used to take 5 min to load when i tested before, now loads the same as high.

I think theres still work 2 be done but overall good show

Made me realize that if you fell down the stairs, I'd not call 911. I spent 90% of the game fighting draughrs, you shit.

Man, also made me realize how awesome Skyrim would be if it got guns and machineguns and rifles and stuff in the DLC. Can you imagine? SO AWESOME!!11

Bethesda compiled the PC version with the wrong compiler settings. This is why the game was so CPU bound and performed relatively poorly for a DX9 game. The patch fixes this since they have now figured out how to use a compiler. :rolleyes:

For me, performance is very similar to Skyboost R4 (which optimized some code in realtime). The frame rate in Whiterun jumped from 19 FPS to 34 FPS and in Soliteud from 23 to 38 FPS.

HardOCP should definitely do a second performance article on Skyrim since this completely changes the performance profile of the game.

Man, also made me realize how awesome Skyrim would be if it got guns and machineguns and rifles and stuff in the DLC. Can you imagine? SO AWESOME!!11

Fuck Zombies and guns. I want MMMMmmmmmmmMMMMMMMmmmmmmmMMMMMonster TRUCKS DLC so I can do some sweet ass hill billy jumps off of mountains. :D

Anyway I'm going to try out the 1.4 beta patch soon. I've had some issues of frame rates just dropping to 0 with my hard drive light on solid for a few minutes. I think it has to do with too many hi res textures but whatever. It mostly does it in Whiterun.

The game is running quite well with high res textures & shader injection. I'm really enjoying the game now that performance is even better than Skyboost R4. I'm hoping they'll be able to nudge a bit more performance & squash more bugs out of the finalized patch.

The "biggest" glitch I'm dealing with right now is having the Morokei mask make my character's whole face disappear when the Archmage robes are worn with it...

Fuck Zombies and guns. I want MMMMmmmmmmmMMMMMMMmmmmmmmMMMMMonster TRUCKS DLC so I can do some sweet ass hill billy jumps off of mountains. :D

Yeah, then we can drive 'em off sweet jumps and smash 'em into the Macho Man dragons!

G'damn, I knew this game had the makings of the best game ever.

That would be awesome. They also need a tower defense DLC.

Yeah, then we can drive 'em off sweet jumps and smash 'em into the Macho Man dragons!

G'damn, I knew this game had the makings of the best game ever.

Bwuahahah I just pulled that out of my ass but it would be totally hilarious to see a monster truck take a sweet jump off a Skyrim mountain and land right on a Macho Man dragon. :eek: :D

When a game gets a 10 fps boost from a patch, that's when you know the developer just put together a half assed version for the pc

Back