Beta Units

Untitledone

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2012
I was wondering if there was a way to block beta units? I got one yesterday and it really raped my poor phenom. Most units I get between 7-8 mins TPF, this bastard beta unit is at 25mins TPF !!! Thats 42 hours for a unit! Well I guess I will have to see what points I get for it. Its just a little disheartening when you have only one crappy computer to throw at F@H, and you get an elephant thrown on you!

Configuration: not defined (press "Edit folder")
Project number: 11289 (47-4-2)
Work unit: Abeta42_99sbe_s
WU size: 945.8 KB
WU result:
Credit: 69.00
Frames: 100
Core: GROMACS
Server IP: 171.67.108.33
PPH (points per hour): 1.61
PPD (points per day): 39
Avg time per step: 0:25:42
Bonus factor: 1.0000
Client.cfg: bigpackets=big
Completed: 94%
FahSpy 2.0.1

p11289 isn't a beta unit. It's been around for a really long time as well, since Nov. 2010.

But to answer your question, the only way you get assigned beta units is by using the -betateam or -advmethods flag. If you are not using one of these two flags, you do not get beta work units.

Ok, I must have misinterpreted the work unit. What I read is probably what the work unit it simulating! Thanks, I will have to investigate further why my computer has slowed down.

Or is it because this is just a particularly demanding Work Unit?

What I read is probably what the work unit it simulating!
Yeah, p11289 are test simulations of a single full-length amyloid beta (Abeta) monomer in water. It shouldn't be too demanding of a WU to fold, there are far worse ones out there.

What type/speed of processor are you running?

I have a Phenom 9600 Black Edition running a slight over clock on stock voltage (2.47ghz). I just restarted my computer and I will see in a few minutes if that was the problem. I am running windows 7 professional. The computer has been folding 24/7 for the past 11days.

Temps are fine, core temp recorded a peak of 42C in the past 11 days. 36-38C is the common with a low of 32C.

Running with a Vcore of 1.25V

Why are you crunching classic (uniprocessor) work units? That is the problem. Add the -smp flag and start crunching on all four cores.

I dont think I am, all 4 cores are loaded 100% I forgot who gave me the config info, but this is what my shortcut has: -smp 4 -verbosity 9 -forceasm

That's odd, p11289 is a uniprocessor WU.. *scratches head*

What about 10119? It appears that fahspy may have reported to me the wrong unit that I was working on. 10119 is what the F@H client is on.

What about 10119? It appears that fahspy may have reported to me the wrong unit that I was working on. 10119 is what the F@H client is on.
p10119 is definitely a smp work unit but it might have been assigned to you by mistake as it is supposed to be still in closed beta testing.

Ok, thanks, fahspy is being stupid. I am going to try to get HFM.NET going. Would you guys happen to have a link to a setup guide? I have HFM.NET installed but have no Idea how to get it to track my WU, or keep a list of completed units.

p10119 is definitely a smp work unit but it might have been assigned to you by mistake as it is supposed to be still in closed beta testing.

Well that is definitely interesting! I am at 95% on it. I would have caught that sooner if I had been to my house recently.

Setting up HFM.NET is very easy. All you have to do is add a new client, point it to the location the log file for that client is stored in, and you're good to go. If you were able to figure out FahSpy, HFM.NET shouldn't be a problem for you.

Setting up HFM.NET is very easy. All you have to do is add a new client, point it to the location the log file for that client is stored in, and you're good to go. If you were able to figure out FahSpy, HFM.NET shouldn't be a problem for you.

Thanks! I got it to track like 3 seconds after reading your post! Later I will have to figure out how to send other computers reports to make a master log for myself. However I only have one computer folding right now.

Next step is to get linux installed. I have a laptop that I put unbuntu 11.04 on. I am going to practice setting up everything on it so I have less downtime when I switch my main folder over.

Back