Beta testers for mac service installer?

Yeah, I wish I could :/
I need more money to build some PCs or buy lots of mac folding boxen
Virginia Tech makes me :drool:

DR_K13 said:
mac- thats expensive boxen./
Indeed it is, but, I like MACOSX a lot, more than windows by far.
I suppose I could just run Linux on x86, but I also use my folding computers and well.. computers, they are not dedicated (well 2 windows boxes are, but they are more of 'spare parts' I had lying around).
So, I need a good os with a strong GUI and strong CLI, and macosx fits that perfectly :)

can you put MAXOSX on a pc ( non mac) ? might be fun to try.
I have a few running linux and a few borged ones running windows
all the rigs i borged at work are running windows 2000 ( not by choice )

you can put darwin on any P4 (but only a P4). darwin is the linux (well, unix-ish anyway) component of OSX and i think that you could find a GUI for linux that resembles the OSX GUI without too much work. so in effect, yes. but not really... actually i think apple has a x86 version of OSX (the whole thing) in case of supply problems with their own chips:p maybe if you asked nicely you could have it?

Yeah, it works, I ran it, and both my cpu's on my G5 are folding away. 4 GHZ added to my arsenal. W00t!

I have a friend interested in folding, and he has crap skills on installing FAH on his Mac. This sounds like just the ticket. Sure, I'll still have to go over there, but at least I can look like I know what I'm doing!
Thanks, sigmend, for this little bit of help!

NoXPert said:
I have a friend interested in folding, and he has crap skills on installing FAH on his Mac. This sounds like just the ticket. Sure, I'll still have to go over there, but at least I can look like I know what I'm doing!
Thanks, sigmend, for this little bit of help!
Yeah, no problem!
If you want, I could create a custom installer (your username, etc) which you could give to your friend. Zero configuration needed after install.

Anyway, I accidentally floormated my server (installing tiger beta, no less), so it will be a few days till I get the page explaining the installer back up.

Thanks for the programming offer, but I don't think it's necessary. But I won't stop you if you were so inclined to do so. My FAH ID is NoXPert, and of course, team 33.
Sorry to hear about your server issue. Here's to a quick recovery!

Does anyone know what happend to these installers? I'd like to install this on a few Macs, but i can't get to the file. :confused: Thanks.

Heh, yeah, this is an old thread, but hey... : ).
Anyway, would the Stanford command line client work so that i can start it up at login (or maybe even before then) and stay hidden? I've got full permission to do what i'm doing, but i'm just not wanting to cause frustration for anyone who's using the computer and getting annoyed with this program they have to leave visibly running, never mind the fact that it'll undoubtably get closed if it's as easy as just clicking the red X. I've got a day or two before i actually do the install, but i'm just trying to collect information, and would like to be able to install the service, or to get it to run behind the scenes some way, by the time i know if i have to re-format this computer or not. Thanks :).

Just a thought since I am still Mac dyslexic, could you add it to each users run on login, but have it set to hide similar to how the iTunes helper is setup?

p[H]ant0m said:
Just a thought since I am still Mac dyslexic, could you add it to each users run on login, but have it set to hide similar to how the iTunes helper is setup?
Yeah, i could probably do that, but the thing is that i would ideally like it to be folding even when the user is logged out, or say somebody turns the comptuer on, but doesn't log in. I could do automatic user log-in, though.... that's a thought. I installed this service installer on my laptop at home, so maybe i can find the right files and manually install the same service here at school. I wish i could find the original installer, though!

edit:
I ended up just being able to copy the right files from some Macs i had at home that had the service installed (on both single and dual CPU machines) and it works like a charm, so if anybody else needs to do the same, and needs the files or something... just gimmie a yell ;).

If you want, you can have Folding@home start up automatically each time you start Mac OS X. Just open the System Preferences, click Login (it's listed in the first row), click the Login Items tab that appears, click the Add button, select the Folding@home application, and click Open.

Only thing stanford had to say in their install instructions

Back