• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Beta OpenAl drivers from Creative any good?

oneils

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2005
Messages
475
Hi, I have a Sound Blaster Audigy card. I noticed that creative now has beta drivers for OpenAl (they were posted in fall of '05 I belive - haven't checked for updates in a while :eek: ). Has anyone tried these yet? If so, have you encountered any problems or noticed an improvement in games that use OpenAl?

I'd post a link to the details, but I'm having problems reaching their download page...times out on me.

Thanks,

S.O.
 
I'm using them...I had to to cure issues in Quake 4. The game simply wouldn't run with drivers prior to the OpenAL betas.

I haven't had any issues with the drivers, they've been fine.
 
yah cures Q4 for me too...... after I reinstall the game for no reason!!
 
aZn_plyR said:
yah cures Q4 for me too...... after I reinstall the game for no reason!!
Lol! My condolences!. I installed the drivers...haven't played my Quake4 yet but I have been playing CSS and it sounds great - at least no problems to report. Is CSS OpenAl? Or does it use another audio platform (called it platform for lack of a better word...what are OpenAl and EAX referred to as?).

S.O.
 
oneils said:
Lol! My condolences!. I installed the drivers...haven't played my Quake4 yet but I have been playing CSS and it sounds great - at least no problems to report. Is CSS OpenAl? Or does it use another audio platform (called it platform for lack of a better word...what are OpenAl and EAX referred to as?).

S.O.

Source based games use Miles Emulated Sound layered on top of DirectSound 3D. EAX is simply reverb effects layered on top of either DirectSound 3D or OpenAL. Basically the main "sound engines" are either DirectSound 3D or OpenAL, and game developers have the option to code extra layers on top of them (like EAX) to add special effects to their games. What is important to know is these layers aren't used to make the game surround (many people are mistaken), that's DirectSound 3D or OpenAL's job. The layers are there to "enhance" the audio experience.
 
Moofasa~ said:
Source based games use Miles Emulated Sound layered on top of DirectSound 3D. EAX is simply reverb effects layered on top of either DirectSound 3D or OpenAL. Basically the main "sound engines" are either DirectSound 3D or OpenAL, and game developers have the option to code extra layers on top of them (like EAX) to add special effects to their games. What is important to know is these layers aren't used to make the game surround (many people are mistaken), that's DirectSound 3D or OpenAL's job. The layers are there to "enhance" the audio experience.
Excellent Moofasa, that explains a lot - great info. Thanks.

Sound Engines! Yes, that's it! Lol...couldn't remember the term.
 
Back
Top