bet you can't figure out my wireless lag spike, plz help!

Aesalon

Limp Gawd
here's the deal. new AM2 shuttle LAN box, got a usb wireless card in there because I have no PCI slots. I have a dlink DI-634 router on road runner. everything works fine when I have a cable plugged in but as soon as I use a wireless USB device, I get a horrible lag spike every 60-70 seconds. it's cycular. this lags everything to about 1.5 seconds and is horrible for gaming to say the least. I use the wireless USB because I can't pull lines through where I live to answer that question. regular ethernet works fine.

the wireless devices I've used are belkin's wireless g mimo card and after that was giving me the same problem, I switched to a d-link rangebooster g wireless card. same problem. I only have 64 bit WEP protection going. I've tried both brand specific configuraiton software and the windows zero configuration. I disabled network location, netbios and a couple other services to have the same effect.

I've ran a continuos ping and task manager to see if CPU usage goes up during the lag spike and nothing. I've ran kerio firewall to see if something else is causing it but I couldn't find anything. I'd replace my USB drivers but nvidia doesn't seem to have any.

is there anything I'm not aware of or missing? please help!

The one thing you neglected to mention is what type of wireless access point you are using.

what do you mean? I'm strictly using a usb wireless card and a router, that's it.

Aesalon said:
I'm strictly using a usb wireless card and a router, that's it.

Could you let us know what the router brand/model is please? Since the problem could be with a card (but you've tried multiple cards), with the access point (either a stand alone device, or in this case a router), or with the enviroment you are in.

dlink di-634 is the router.

the current wireless usb card is the dlink wu1340.

The first thing I would do is try changing the channel on your devices. I've never used those brands, so it's up to you to figure out how. Try something on a frequency far away from what you are using now. If that fixes it then you are good. Chances are it won't do much, but it's a start.

Do you have access to two computers to put on the network? One wired and one wireless. If so, does the wired one lag when you connect the wireless device? If not, it's narrowed down a bit more. You should also try switching which one is wired and which one has the USB device, if one computer works with the same USB device and the other doesn't, you've narrowed down the problem again.

Next, do you have any other USB devices on the same USB bus? Try unplugging everything else from the USB, and see if you still have a problem. Make sure you unplug your mouse, print, etc., anything USB. If that solves it, then you have a device conflict, which could be from a bad USB bus/motherboard. Look around online to see if anyone else with your board has USB conflicts.

If none of this works, try using your current setup on another wireless network. If that works, then you might want to see if you can borrow a different router from someone else to see if that helps. If so, just replace your router.

Once you've tried all of this, or as much is possible with what you have available, and it still doesn't work, then I'd just buy a long Cat5e or Cat6 calbe and live with it...

tried changing channels, no such luck. tried plugging my machine via ethernet cable and there was no such lag.

thanks for the USB idea, didn't think about that. I'll give it a shot right now.

In my experience D-Link routers generally aren't too great on the wireless front. The router looks like the problem to me, I suggest you go buy something from a different brand, like Netgear or Belkin. If the problem isn't fixed then you could always return the new router.

I had pretty much the same problem...

When I was connected via wireless every couple minutes it would get a huge lag spike, couldn't figure it out for the life of me and gave up for a while.
A couple months later I rearranged the room and moved the access point to a diffrent room and bam it woked fine. There must have been some sort of interferance in that spot of the room, it was near a wall with power and coaxial lines running along the outside.

So basicly Im saying try moving the access point itself and see if it makes a diffrence, it did for me

so funny thing. I tried a linksys wireless USB doohicke and using windows zero wireless, it gave me the lag spike. not using the windows zero wireless removed it. wtf.

well good news, it's working. thanks for the help!

Back