BestBuy Charges $1,700 for CD Drive Replacement?

I work at Best Buy so this may sound slightly biased to others, but here goes.
The customer did note that she was informed and had been recommended of performing a backup of her data. She also stated that she declined said backup knowing it was her only copy of the data. At the store level everything was done as it was supposed to be done by the employees so there is no fault there. Now the service centers work in a very different manner. All computers fixed by Best Buy under warranty are sent out to Geek Squad City (located in Kentucky). That means over 1000 stores are sending in 1-10 laptops each DAY to this place (my store usually get 5-8 per day minimum as I work in a very high traffic store). So due to the extremely high work load the technicians run full diagnostics on all units and simply take it for what they say. So if they run an hdd scan and it fails, they replace the hard drive (at least that's the way it's been working in my experience). To protect customer privacy, the replaced hdds are to be destroyed within 2 days of replacement. If the customer wants their data back after this, it is usually extremely difficult to do so and requires data recovery services (which we all know is very expensive). Price is non-negotiable because Best Buy doesn't perform the data recovery themselves, it is done through a third-party company which charges $1200 starting for recovery on non-functional hdds plus price of external hdd and shipping and handling (all done and priced at the data recovery center). The customer was issued a $200 gift card because EVERYONE that calls corporate gets a gift card for complaining, even if the customer is the one at fault. Best Buy does this to try and appease the customer and keep them shopping at Best Buy. But asking Best Buy to pay $1700 for something that wasn't their fault is ludicrous. The customer was informed from the beginning of the possibility of data loss, knowing they didn't have a backup, and now wants to blame someone else for their faults. As far as I see it the customer is totally at fault here UNLESS the hdd was incorrectly replaced. ALSO, the customer was not charged on pickup, she was told she would be charged if she wanted her data recovered, as this is not covered under warranty.

Flame all you want, but I reiterate that the customer was informed of all possibilities (aside from the data recovery estimate charges) prior to sending the unit out.

Thus, when Stupid and Moron meet to do business since Moron has better lawyers Moron Wins... Yayyy!!!

As most techies i despise Best Buy as a general rule. However I'm not convinced they're at fault, one of the two party's is hiding some information.

Perhaps BB scans hard drive and memory for errors as a courtesy (possible means of making money) Found errors within the hard drive and informed the customer that it would cost a lot of money to get the data recovered.

Perhaps BB lost the hard drive or formatted it by accident.

Sadly I dont think the truth will come to light on this one.

Sorry to any who work/worked in Geeksquad, but I will always tell any and all to avoid them like the black-death, because most are morons.......and I will under-cut their fees dramatically just to save people from issues like this. I know a guy who actually paid for a router, and then had Geeks "install" it for almost $200( like a year ago). Then a week ago he wanted to get a new one, and was going to pay it all over again. I told him if he wanted a screwing, he could pay less on the corner downtown. I had him buy one, plug it in, and I remote'd in to set it up for a nominal fee.

BTW: I have a feeling it was a misunderstanding about what drive was bad. Maybe the customer mis-stated the proper terminology ("the drive is bad". What kind?), maybe the Geek mis-documented the problem( same?).

Easy answer: Stay away from them.

bullshit even 5 year old hdd can survive shipping if properly packaged. I got drives that are 10+ years old still in working order....BB service center f'd up somewhere and since they are agent of BB, BB needs to step up to the plate and take care of this customer. Point of contention is that customer was not notified of HDD swap and was not notified that due to HDD swap data would need to be backed up.

CAN is the word you missed there.

A harddisk could easily survive that, or it could die. I have several +10 year old maxtors (wtf)

If BB has the HD still, and it is accessible to a normal PC (not physically damaged, controller board still functional), and they haven't DD-level wiped it, then I would be more than happy to recover the data for these people for the cost of shipping and however many DVD's I need.

Let me ask you this. If you shipped a machine back to dell, hp, acer, etc for a warranty repair would you really expect them to call you and say hey you sent it in for this but we found this wrong as well. Do you want us to repair it under warranty? The answer is no. Once the warranty vendor has it they will repair it within the guidelines of the warranty. If their is something that isn't covered then they will call you.

I ship laptops to Dell, HP, and Lenovo all the time for warranty repair, probably a dozen a month. Every single time the shipping box includes a document asking me to sign a confirmation that they can wipe the hard drive or replace it if needed. If I don't sign it and their warranty depot finds a problem with the HD they will contact me and ask me what I want to do about the situation instead of just wiping it.

I am not saying the customers aren't at fault. I am a firm believer in taking responsibility for your PC data. However, this does sound like a communication issue between the store and customer,.The Geek-Squad person should explain that the PC will be sent off-site and that because it is a warranty the drive will be tested and possibly replaced without warning, and explain how it is actually very likely a PC of that age had HD problems even if it hasn't shown any signs of trouble so far. They should also offer backup alternatives besides the $100 charge, which is quite ridiculous.

I work at Best Buy so this may sound slightly biased to others, but here goes.
The customer did note that she was informed and had been recommended of performing a backup of her data. She also stated that she declined said backup knowing it was her only copy of the data. At the store level everything was done as it was supposed to be done by the employees so there is no fault there. Now the service centers work in a very different manner. All computers fixed by Best Buy under warranty are sent out to Geek Squad City (located in Kentucky). That means over 1000 stores are sending in 1-10 laptops each DAY to this place (my store usually get 5-8 per day minimum as I work in a very high traffic store). So due to the extremely high work load the technicians run full diagnostics on all units and simply take it for what they say. So if they run an hdd scan and it fails, they replace the hard drive (at least that's the way it's been working in my experience). To protect customer privacy, the replaced hdds are to be destroyed within 2 days of replacement. If the customer wants their data back after this, it is usually extremely difficult to do so and requires data recovery services (which we all know is very expensive). Price is non-negotiable because Best Buy doesn't perform the data recovery themselves, it is done through a third-party company which charges $1200 starting for recovery on non-functional hdds plus price of external hdd and shipping and handling (all done and priced at the data recovery center). The customer was issued a $200 gift card because EVERYONE that calls corporate gets a gift card for complaining, even if the customer is the one at fault. Best Buy does this to try and appease the customer and keep them shopping at Best Buy. But asking Best Buy to pay $1700 for something that wasn't their fault is ludicrous. The customer was informed from the beginning of the possibility of data loss, knowing they didn't have a backup, and now wants to blame someone else for their faults. As far as I see it the customer is totally at fault here UNLESS the hdd was incorrectly replaced. ALSO, the customer was not charged on pickup, she was told she would be charged if she wanted her data recovered, as this is not covered under warranty.

Flame all you want, but I reiterate that the customer was informed of all possibilities (aside from the data recovery estimate charges) prior to sending the unit out.

Worst Buy needs to change their policy then. IF a machine comes in for a certain problem, why are they scanning for other issues? Oh so they can milk it for all they can. I'm just a dumb customer, how do I know if they told the truth or not.
Fuck Best Buy and fuck Geek Squad. I haven't stepped in a Best Buy in 4 years and will never go into one after the lack of customer service and being treated like shit for asking a question about a TV.

First thing: Whenever I work on a computer, even if it comes in for a virus/malware removal, a program installed, or to be cleaned out, I ALWAYS check the HDD, check the RAM, check device manager for all drivers installed and everything working, check the Event Viewer, check the motherboard for signs of a surge, blown caps, etc. I do all of that before performing the work. Even when I have diagnosed what needs to be done, I (we) call the customer first, tell them the cost for labour (and parts if needed) and explain to them what we are going to do step by step and get an OK from them first. If we don't get a hold of them, we wait till we get an OK. (Unless it's for a business we do IT for, then if it's just a bad DVDROM drive, we'll replace it without an OK - unless the PC is ancient) If something costs more than half the price of a new one, we recommend getting a new PC. (Often with laptops with bad mobos or LCDs)

As to the data part, even if the drive has some bad sectors, you can Ghost it to a new one and then repair what you can. Quite often I do this and it goes great. I may have to do a repair install of Windows or reinstall a program, but their data is safe. I always make sure everything is OK. Even if you have alot of bad sectors, you can quite often recover lots of that stuff. If it doesn't spin up, try the freezer and freezing it. If it doesn't spin up or clicks or has bad sectors all over and can't get data off, we'll offer to send it away for recovery, but that it starts at $500 dollars. FFS, I got all the data off of a RAID-0 array from a WD Mybook using a PC and I had to rebuild a EXT3 RAID-0 with one of the drives failing. That was interesting and quite fun. GeekSquad is pathetic and frankly, gives other techs a bad name.

\rant.

Edit: Even when we send a computer in for warranty (such as Acer), we Ghost the HDD to a shop drive, whether the customer authorizes us to or not, we do. If they later decide they want it, we put it back exactly the way it was. I write zeroes to all the drives on the PCs that we send away on warranty or that we have to cross-ship.

Edit: Even when we send a computer in for warranty (such as Acer), we Ghost the HDD to a shop drive, whether the customer authorizes us to or not, we do. If they later decide they want it, we put it back exactly the way it was. I write zeroes to all the drives on the PCs that we send away on warranty or that we have to cross-ship.

Wow, so what happens if that drive fails that you just put the customers data on? Bestbuy is full of idiots.

Hence why people should remove the hard drive before service.

I ship laptops to Dell, HP, and Lenovo all the time for warranty repair, probably a dozen a month. Every single time the shipping box includes a document asking me to sign a confirmation that they can wipe the hard drive or replace it if needed. If I don't sign it and their warranty depot finds a problem with the HD they will contact me and ask me what I want to do about the situation instead of just wiping it.

I am not saying the customers aren't at fault. I am a firm believer in taking responsibility for your PC data. However, this does sound like a communication issue between the store and customer,.The Geek-Squad person should explain that the PC will be sent off-site and that because it is a warranty the drive will be tested and possibly replaced without warning, and explain how it is actually very likely a PC of that age had HD problems even if it hasn't shown any signs of trouble so far. They should also offer backup alternatives besides the $100 charge, which is quite ridiculous.

Maybe HP changed but in the past even if you didn't sign the form they were know to wipe systems. Also have had it come up where HP has replaced the system with a new one because of the level of failure and sent the new one back instead. Use to ship off 15 to 20 a week from them easy. Dell has done the same but I try to never let a machine get shipped back at this point. Most of are business machines are coming with onsite warranties now anyway which is so much nicer.

Worst Buy needs to change their policy then. IF a machine comes in for a certain problem, why are they scanning for other issues? Oh so they can milk it for all they can. I'm just a dumb customer, how do I know if they told the truth or not.
Fuck Best Buy and fuck Geek Squad. I haven't stepped in a Best Buy in 4 years and will never go into one after the lack of customer service and being treated like shit for asking a question about a TV.

Yes they are trying to milk a machine coming in on their warranty. First thing they need to do is verify if the problem listed is the real problem. The optical drive might have been bad. It also could have been a software issue, bad cable, loose connection, controller, etc. Generally they are going to try to do a 1 service fix. This means they will look for other issues and try to correct them before returning it to the customer. Last thing they want is to replace the optical drive and have the system come back in a few days later with other issues they should have seen.

Just like if you take your car in for service. A good mechanic is going to give a quick look over to the car just to make sure everything else is GTG.

Wow, so what happens if that drive fails that you just put the customers data on? Bestbuy is full of idiots.

While I do agree with this statement somewhat, Best Buy turned away my friend because he took his hard drive out for that reason. In turn, I backed his data up for him onto my server and he took his laptop in. Best Buy then determined that his hard drive was bad (it worked fine when I had the computer) and replaced it with a new hard drive and drilled a hole in his old hard drive that had nothing wrong with it. They did not even call him to let him know about his hard drive and did not back his data up. We played the cards and went atomic on them as if that was his only copy of his data.

So yes, Best Buy is full of idiots. The store I used to work at actually had good people there but they all moved on to bigger and better things (like myself).

Acer won't allow you/us to remove the drive and keep it. They'll not service the item if anything is missing and they won't send us the warranty part even though we are authorized with them... (Acer is a PITA to deal with.) So keeping the HDD is not an option in that case, nor sometimes with HP, though HP usually overnights us warranty parts.

True, the shop drive *might* fail but chances are slim. We regularly test our shop drives. Sometimes I'll just use a new drive from the shelf, use it, then write zeroes to it and put it back. (IE - I need a 500 GB drive, but the 500 GB shop drive(s) is/are in use so I'll just grab one for temp usage.)

when i go over a send to service agreement there are over 15 bullet points (i think its closer to 24). there are 3 i take extra time to make sure they understand, including number 10: which basically says, you might lose your data, and no, its not our fault

you would be AMAZED at how many grab the pen from me and just sign. BEFORE i even explain that.

I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier, nor do I know if this method is employed in all Best Buys.

Even though I have a new job that's related to my major, I still like to pick up a couple of shifts a week at Best Buy. I enjoy it, I like the people I work with, the discount is nice, and the extra money doesn't hurt either.

Anyways, here's a new policy we seem to be practicing in our store:

1. Customer brings laptop in for repair (let's assume it's covered by the extended service plan directly from Best Buy.)

2. Geek squad checks out laptop. Two possible things happen:
- The geek can fix the laptop (this is becoming more and more rare. Regardless of how skillful we are at the store, corporate keeps placing restrictions on what we can do to help customers and most situations now default to sending the laptop into the center, typically resulting in slower service than what we could whip out if we did the repairs ourselves)
- The geek determines the laptop needs to be sent to the service center for repair (this is what typically happens now, unless it's software only, or a hard disk replacement)

3. Once we inform the customer that it needs to be sent in, we are now required to tell the customer that there is a good chance the hard drive will be reformatted while at the service center, whether they want it done or not.

4. We ask them if there's anything important on their computer that they don't have backed up somewhere else, i.e. pictures, business documents, homework, programs, etc. Two things can happen here as well:
- The customer can say no. This is simple. We send it in and don't worry. They have now stated that it's basically OK if their drive gets wiped. And it is, because they have their stuff backed up or they don't have anything on there they care about. We have this new red-ink stamp that says "Data Backup Refused" and we stamp it on the service order going with that laptop.
- Or the customer can say yes. That's when we come in and offer to do data backup for them for $100. This seems pricey when it would be easy just to stick in a USB flash drive and backup the important stuff, but sometimes the nature of the hardware problem requires the HD to be pulled and data to be backed up by other means, which takes longer. You can debate within your own heart whether this is a fair charge or not. If they don't have a tremendous amount of data they need backed up (and most don't), then I would consider this to be too high.

Regardless, the customer is given the option. If they don't have us back up their stuff for them, then we again utilize that special red stamp that they have refused our data backup services. This is our legal leg to stand on. If you read the fine print, once we stamp that on there and you refuse our "generous" offer to charge you 100 bucks and backup your files, you have just agreed that Best Buy is no longer liable for ANY lost data, even if the hard drive isn't the part failing.

5. Then we send the laptop in. We even sometimes scribble a note begging the service center not to wipe the drive.

If you ask me, I think this is shady as HELL. And $1700, regardless of legality, is preposterous, even if they have to pull each individual platter of that drive and put it in another shell in order to pull the data off, $1700 for wiping data on a hard drive that was not defective is JUST PLAIN WRONG. This new "policy" of best buy's seems like nothing more than a way to scare customers and milk more money.

And my entire geek squad at my store is usually pissed off at the service center idiots for one reason or another. Several times a week we receive items that are reported as being repaired, and yet they exhibit the same problem that they had before we sent them in, sometimes with NEW PROBLEMS.

I don't know how many of you work at best buy, shop at best buy, have friends that work at best buy, or shop at best buy, but we need to complain like mad about this. I've seriously lost sleep over this stupid new policy because I FEEL WRONG doing it. I'll tell the customer to go backup his/her data if possible. But WHAT IF THEY DON'T KNOW HOW to pull the drive? What if they don't have the $20 cable sitting at home? In my town there's not a single place you can buy that SATA/PATA to USB adaptor. You're stuck with the $50 enclosure that can only be found at Best Buy. There are no other places in town that really carry anything like that now, as Circuit, and several ma and pa shops have also gone out of business. Some people are left with either a $100 fee for us to do it, or they risk losing everything on their drive because the IDIOTS at the service center are format-happy??

This is a crock of CRAP. When Best Buy or its employees have been unfairly or incorrectly judged or scrutinized by people on this forum or other forums, I have often stepped up to the plate with an inside perspective and enthusiasm for defending my job and a company that I try to respect and believe in. I know they've made mistakes in the past, but I've also seen some things they do that are still way better for employees and customers than the competition. You can complain about price all you want, but B&M has higher overhead, and they've got to make money somewhere to pay the wages of people that work there. (I still think USB and HDMI cables are ridiculous, though...)

However, this is a new low. This seems like an intentional sneaky plot to squeeze more money out of customers, and what makes it worse is that they've already shelled out extra money for a service plan so we can help them with future problems, not delete their important stuff.

Best Buy can legally charge this $1700 for data recovery because of all their fancy fine print and policies. I'm sure the geek squad agent offered the data recovery service in some fashion or other. I really think this is a crock of CRAP, though, and I'm going to use this story and some of my own experiences with customers to file a complaint on our boards. It will probably get deleted, but if enough of us make noise about it, maybe Best Buy will respond and PROHIBIT the service center folk from formatting a hard disk unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary in order to make a repair.

and this is why i will never take my pc to anyone else to fix let alone BB. Ive heard enough from their stupid ass salesmen to never want them to touch anything i own. fuck, i wouldnt even bring them a pencil to be sharpened~!!

I dont see what the frenzy is all about...

Last year my g/f sent her laptop into HP for that Nvidia chipset bug, they replaced the mobo, tattooed the mobo and reimaged the HD...

Should my g/f have sued HP for data loss?? fuck no...its her fault if she had anything not backed up...

Quit bitching, this is not just a geeksquad/bestbuy policy

I'm so glad to see things haven't changed much.

I made that mistake about 12 years ago. I turned in a computer under warranty for bios problems (does the phrase 'bios corruption error' ring a bell), only to be given a brand new hard drive that didn't even fix the problem (not to mention a shitload of data lost).

Why can't stores enact a simple policy: No format and or replacement of the hard drive unless it's expressly approved by the customer in writing?

Is that too much to ask?

You mean every company wipes hard drives without informing their customers? Idiot.

I didnt say "every" company, I gave an example of HP doing it to state that it was more common than some ppl here think, and also to iterate that it is not just best buy doing this. To take that as EVERY company is just ludicrous...

I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier, nor do I know if this method is employed in all Best Buys.

Even though I have a new job that's related to my major, I still like to pick up a couple of shifts a week at Best Buy. I enjoy it, I like the people I work with, the discount is nice, and the extra money doesn't hurt either.

Anyways, here's a new policy we seem to be practicing in our store:

3. Once we inform the customer that it needs to be sent in, we are now required to tell the customer that there is a good chance the hard drive will be reformatted while at the service center, whether they want it done or not.

If you ask me, I think this is shady as HELL. And $1700, regardless of legality, is preposterous, even if they have to pull each individual platter of that drive and put it in another shell in order to pull the data off, $1700 for wiping data on a hard drive that was not defective is JUST PLAIN WRONG. This new "policy" of best buy's seems like nothing more than a way to scare customers and milk more money.

And my entire geek squad at my store is usually pissed off at the service center idiots for one reason or another. Several times a week we receive items that are reported as being repaired, and yet they exhibit the same problem that they had before we sent them in, sometimes with NEW PROBLEMS.

I don't know how many of you work at best buy, shop at best buy, have friends that work at best buy, or shop at best buy, but we need to complain like mad about this. I've seriously lost sleep over this stupid new policy because I FEEL WRONG doing it. I'll tell the customer to go backup his/her data if possible. But WHAT IF THEY DON'T KNOW HOW to pull the drive? What if they don't have the $20 cable sitting at home? In my town there's not a single place you can buy that SATA/PATA to USB adaptor. You're stuck with the $50 enclosure that can only be found at Best Buy. There are no other places in town that really carry anything like that now, as Circuit, and several ma and pa shops have also gone out of business. Some people are left with either a $100 fee for us to do it, or they risk losing everything on their drive because the IDIOTS at the service center are format-happy??

This is a crock of CRAP. When Best Buy or its employees have been unfairly or incorrectly judged or scrutinized by people on this forum or other forums, I have often stepped up to the plate with an inside perspective and enthusiasm for defending my job and a company that I try to respect and believe in. I know they've made mistakes in the past, but I've also seen some things they do that are still way better for employees and customers than the competition. You can complain about price all you want, but B&M has higher overhead, and they've got to make money somewhere to pay the wages of people that work there. (I still think USB and HDMI cables are ridiculous, though...)

However, this is a new low. This seems like an intentional sneaky plot to squeeze more money out of customers, and what makes it worse is that they've already shelled out extra money for a service plan so we can help them with future problems, not delete their important stuff.

Best Buy can legally charge this $1700 for data recovery because of all their fancy fine print and policies. I'm sure the geek squad agent offered the data recovery service in some fashion or other. I really think this is a crock of CRAP, though, and I'm going to use this story and some of my own experiences with customers to file a complaint on our boards. It will probably get deleted, but if enough of us make noise about it, maybe Best Buy will respond and PROHIBIT the service center folk from formatting a hard disk unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary in order to make a repair.
Reason #3 is reason enough to never get the extended warranty plan for a computer from a store like Best Buy. It sucks that while the Geek Squad individuals could be decent and competent people, they're apparently being forced by corporate to send everything in, which just adds a huge layer of bureaucracy and cost all around. Crazy. :mad:

Thanks for explaining the process in good detail, SirK. :cool:

No, it's what happens when you don't take your computer to a real computer repair store.

Unless it is still under a warranty. In this case it was best buys warranty. If they sent it to the mfg on the unit under warranty there still would be a good chance it would get wiped.

You mean every company wipes hard drives without informing their customers? Idiot.

For warranty repairs yea a good deal do. And guess what the customer was informed when they checked it in. Generally speaking the option to backup data doesn't even come in with a lot of vendors.

For out of warranty repairs yes they should contact the customer. For in warranty the repair center is focused on getting the machine shipped back out generally within a day or so.

IMO if you dont know what you are doing to the point you cant even keep a backup on a flash drive or external then the GS is there to offer their services for a fee, just like a mechanic on your vehicle. I know enough about automotive to not get "taken" at the mechanic, but when he says this is what the part costs and this is how much I charge to do it, I get to pay it happy or not, because I am unable to do it my self.

I think or at least I hope that most ppl reading this thread get the fact that most MFRs will wipe the drive a reimage it for you if its an under warranty repair, this is exactly what geeksquad did. They do this because YOU and YOU alone are responsible for your data, and if they test the HDD bad when it comes in for an optical drive replacement then they save themselves possibly having to ship it back in 6 or whatever months later, and you dont have to be without your computer again for several more weeks, they get everything that is failing or imminent failing in one shot to reduce repeat services...

Replaced hard drives should ALWAYS be returned to the owner, especially in this day and age of identity theft. Who knows what Best Buy really does with them.

my guess is that the geeks at the squad tell people all the time their hdds are bad, sell them a new one and charge them to transfer the data over to the new drive, then stick them in a bag or something, take them home and come to sites like this and sell them...

just a thought...

my guess is that the geeks at the squad tell people all the time their hdds are bad, sell them a new one and charge them to transfer the data over to the new drive, then stick them in a bag or something, take them home and come to sites like this and sell them...

just a thought...

Yep, that's right. Everyone in the world is a crook. At least everyone at Best Buy. Including me. We're all dishonest dickheads that steal people's stuff and sell it.

Thanks.

This is exactly why I don't shop at WorstBuy

• They charge $1,700 to replace a $25 CD Drive
  • They charge $99.95 for Monster Cables
  • They won't let you return a calculator without a receipt, even though the sticker on the package has their store name on it
  • I could go on and on and on.....................

In any case, there should be no bill for $1,700 on any home computer repair. Thats ridiculous.

Storing thousands of pictures on a 5-year old computer (with matching HDD) without backup. Check.
Giving the computer to your kids to use. Check.
Giving the computer to a cookie cutter repair service and declining data backup. Check.
Data lost. Check.
Whaambulance. On the way

The data backup for warranty service should be standard IMO but I wouldn't slam BB/GS too badly on this one. If they fix the PC and return it with a failing HDD, guess what? Another [H] forum link and hundreds crapping on BB/GS because they suck. (Well, BB sucks IMO but that's my own opinion.)

In any case, there should be no bill for $1,700 on any home computer repair. Thats ridiculous.

Their isn't. The computer was fixed under warranty. The 1700 is to send the hard drive to a data recovery company if they want a chance at data recovery. It is worth noting that best buy could have just been like the data is gone. I've seen a few mfg's say that.

Storing thousands of pictures on a 5-year old computer (with matching HDD) without backup. Check.
Giving the computer to a cookie cutter repair service and declining data backup. Check.
Data lost. Check.
Whaambulance. On the way

The data backup for warranty service should be standard IMO but I wouldn't slam BB/GS too badly on this one. If they fix the PC and return it with a failing HDD, guess what? Another [H] forum link and hundreds crapping on BB/GS because they suck. (Well, BB sucks IMO but that's my own opinion.)

This pretty much sums it up.

BB/GS does suck and that is crap policy to test everything. just fix what the customer is there for and nothing more. Why run more tests? makes no sense. IMO BB should pay for it just for the fact they should have not touched the hdd. If it then fails when returned to client. Not there problem.

Who here shops at WorstBuy?

The egg is cheaper and if you want to buy a CD why not do it through Amazon. If you need it ASAP just go to Walmart.

Data lost. Check.
Whaambulance. On the way

You are correct. Whenever data is not backed up, it's totally because the user is too stupid/lazy to backup their important crap. If it really is important, why would they rely on ONLY ONE MEDIUM to keep their precious files?

Regardless, I still think this new policy is crap, read my post a couple pages back and you'll see why I think it's a tad unethical, and I work at Best Buy myself.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the tech just got the master/slave jumper wrong on the new cdrom? I've done that earier in my career and even fdisked the wrong drive when copying my own data.

this is 100% best buy error, and the lady should seek legal representation. It obvious what best buy should have done, and should do in these cases. which is to notfiy the customer if additional repairs are needed, and the consquences.

In the name of making more money, BB want's the benefit of the discount from any defective hard drive, charge people for back up services, while robbing the customer of thier options.

Back