Best ZFS option now?

farscapesg1

2[H]4U
With OmniOS being cancelled, what is the best ZFS option now? Bite the bullet and just move to Linux with ZFS? OpenIndiana/Hipster? Whichever route, it will probably be virtualized into an All-in-one build.

I'm currently running an older version of OpenIndiana and have been planning on migrating but just haven't had the time. Now it is a toss-up between rebuilding my single storage node for my two VMWare servers.. or migrating everything to Nutanix and spreading the storage across the nodes.

;)

Ease of use (set and forget), UI options, expansion (Nexenta CE is limited for example). Currently using OpenIndiana with Napp-it.. so I never really have to get into OpenIndiana :p Would like support for Crashplan since they dropped Solaris and Open-Solaris support. Currently running the Crashplan agent on a Windows server with a mapped drive to the storage to back it up. That one may limit me to ZFS-on-Linux, so it isn't a hard requirement.

Well... there's always FreeNAS, I've had good luck with that.

Otherwise, if you want to stick with OmniOS, run the Community Edition?

I haven't looked into it at all, mind you.

Thanks, I should probably take a look at FreeNas again. I tried it years ago and the performance was drastically worse than OpenIndiana at the time.

Back