Best x58 board for highest BCLK?

matt9669

Limp Gawd
Reviews of x58 motherboards seem to be sporadic at the moment. Like any sane person, I am NOT buying the unlocked i965, so I'm trying to find a board that won't hold back my i920 overclock. Lot of solid boards out there but I haven't seen as much attention paid to the maximum BCLKs people are getting.

I'm not looking to break any records, just to hit a solid 4GHz (BCLK 200) on an i920 with a TRUE or light watercooling.

check out the evga x58, Jacob from evga got the 920 to 4.5GHz on good air cooling!!

the dfi and the foxconn (not the renaissance) arent available yet, so i got the evga, which seems ok. so far. i just got it last night.

The P6T, Rampage II Extreme, eVGA X58, and Gigabyte X58 boards all seem to be overclocking very well. Which one you go with is really down to features and cost.

The P6T, Rampage II Extreme, eVGA X58, and Gigabyte X58 boards all seem to be overclocking very well. Which one you go with is really down to features and cost.

The price differences hardly matter when you're already spending $300+ :p

As for features - any standout, "must-have" features on any of the boards? I haven't seen anything yet that grabbed me and made me think "I must have that board" ...

The price differences hardly matter when you're already spending $300+ :p

As for features - any standout, "must-have" features on any of the boards? I haven't seen anything yet that grabbed me and made me think "I must have that board" ...

Feature-wise they're all pretty similar actually, but personally I prefer the way that ASUS does their BIOSes, so that would push me in their direction. For you, it really just depends on what little things you might like or dislike about each of the boards. It would be a good idea for you to look up some reviews on the boards to get a good look at the specific features that each one has.

Reviews of x58 motherboards seem to be sporadic at the moment. Like any sane person, I am NOT buying the unlocked i965, so I'm trying to find a board that won't hold back my i920 overclock. Lot of solid boards out there but I haven't seen as much attention paid to the maximum BCLKs people are getting.

I'm not looking to break any records, just to hit a solid 4GHz (BCLK 200) on an i920 with a TRUE or light watercooling.

I hit 4Ghz with light water cooling on a P6T-Deluxe [they didnt have any of the OC Palm GRRRRR]. You WILL need it [water] since air was running load of nearly 170 degrees :(
200 BCLK with ram @ 1066 and rock solid. It is a GREAT board and cheapest of the 3 P6T's

You won't be sorry

I hit 4Ghz with light water cooling on a P6T-Deluxe [they didnt have any of the OC Palm GRRRRR]. You WILL need it [water] since air was running load of nearly 170 degrees :(
200 BCLK with ram @ 1066 and rock solid. It is a GREAT board and cheapest of the 3 P6T's

You won't be sorry

Great to hear! Looking very seriously at that board. It does look like it's more a question of what bells & whistles you care for, but did want to see if there was a preferred o/cing board.

I'll probably go with the P6T Deluxe or Gigabyte UD5.

The only thing the P6 won't do is SLI x 3 due to spacing issues.

The second and third slot and only a single space apart, unless you watercooled; then you'd be OK. But the price between that and the Extreme whatever would be prohibitive.

Personally, I'm going for the UD5; it looks like the best bang for the buck at the momment.

Only thing is, doesn't look like it's implemented well ... mounted to another heatsink below it, not a big fan. Plus, isn't that the one Kyle broke a screw trying to get off? (or am I thinking of another board?)

Yup.

The second and third slot and only a single space apart, unless you watercooled; then you'd be OK. But the price between that and the Extreme whatever would be prohibitive.

Personally, I'm going for the UD5; it looks like the best bang for the buck at the momment.
The Asus P6T big brother, the P6T6 WS Revolution will do Tri SLi.

True @16 3-Way SLI
The Best Graphic Performance you EVER have
The True @16 PCI-E Gen2 3-Way SLI will present you the fastest and the most reliable graphic performance you ever have when you are engaged in Mechanical/Architecture/Interior/Aircraft/Audio/Video Design or when you are playing games in leisure time.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=179&l3=815&l4=0&model=2697&modelmenu=1

Hopefully, Asus will give Kyle the board to do another one of his famous Video reviews, this time on Tri SLi. :D

The Asus P6T big brother, the P6T6 WS Revolution will do Tri SLi.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=179&l3=815&l4=0&model=2697&modelmenu=1

Hopefully, Asus will give Kyle the board to do another one of his famous Video reviews, this time on Tri SLi. :D

Niiice.

Dumb question - can you run two-way SLI in slots 1 and 3 using the tri-SLI connector? Would like to have at least some space between the cards until I can pony up for water cooling.

On that particular board, if you use 1 and 3, you'd be running at 16x and 8x; instead of 16 and 16.......I could be wrong.

It looks to me that there is plenty of space between slots 1 and 2 for good ventilation.

If you use RivaTuner or evga Precision, you can ramp up the fans as high as you like anyway.:D

On that particular board, if you use 1 and 3, you'd be running at 16x and 8x; instead of 16 and 16.......I could be wrong.

It looks to me that there is plenty of space between slots 1 and 2 for good ventilation.

If you use RivaTuner or evga Precision, you can ramp up the fans as high as you like anyway.:D

I think you're right about the slot config magoo. Don't think it matters much for actual gaming, but still it is a thought. As for the fans - I'll have to try them at 100% before I commit, many can be VERY loud :eek:

Finally made a decision - just bought the P6T (Palm version) off eBay, 10% coupon + 30% cash back gets me right at $200. Good times.

In the same boat as OP.

Trying to decide between the Asus P6T, the EVGA, and the Gigabyte.
Originally I had thought Asus because they are always solid...
Then I was thinking EVGA since it can do tri-SLI and EVGA has awesome Tech Support.
One thing I did like extra about the Gigabyte was the on-board features including the posting numbers, power button, and clear CMOS button.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-gaex58ud5p-x58-motherboard-review/6

So now I'm back to where I started... all confused.

Back