• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Best WoW "easter egg reference" I've found so far...

rush24t3

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 1, 2004
Messages
2,540
Unique trinket for sale in the AH, called "Six Demon Bag." From its description: "Blasts enemies with the power of wind, fire, all that kind of thing!"

Right outta "Big Trouble in Little China"...ROFL
 
WoW is filled with these kinds of neat things.

There's a reference to Philip K. Dick's book Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep , which is actually the book that Blade Runner was based off. In WoW, there's an engineered pet, the Lifelike Mechanical Toad. If you've read the book, you'll see the reference behind that.

What else? Ironhide breastplate is a reference to the punisher...there's a big skull on it. That's how I saw it anyway.

The old Blizzard game, The Lost Vikings, has an homage in WoW. I forget what cave/dungeon, but the Erik, Baleog, and Olaf are there.

There's a lot more that I can't remember, but it's a blast to discover them.
 
Let's keep this going cause I wanna know everything people have found :)
The Six demon bag reference rules btw.

Off the top of my head I remember the Hanzo sword (Kill Bill).
The giant Hydra Ghazrilla (like Godzilla).

There's more..but that's all I can remember for now.
 
Torquemada XP said:
Unique trinket for sale in the AH, called "Six Demon Bag." From its description: "Blasts enemies with the power of wind, fire, all that kind of thing!"

Right outta "Big Trouble in Little China"...ROFL

Quite possibly one of the best movies ever made. Period.
 
Harkamus said:
The old Blizzard game, The Lost Vikings, has an homage in WoW. I forget what cave/dungeon, but the Erik, Baleog, and Olaf are there.
.

those guys are in Uldamann
 
Doombringer...weapon from Diablo II.

Hellslayer...weapon from Diablo II.

OH DAMN! Just remembered. There's an obvious reference to Link from Zelda from a quest that starts in Ungoro Crater from a broken raft. The quest reward is a boomerang. HEH. You also get Link's sword. The NPC is called Linken probably because of copy right or something.

Hanzo sword like someone said...Kill Bill.
 
There's an npc in the UC Zep tower called Hind Enburg (I don't recall the exact spelling...) on the side that goes to GG.
 
There is a quest for gnomeregan or something... use a quest item to pick up some radiactive crap. description: "One shot, one fill."

Yes, the game seems to be full of references.
 
I found a guy near Ratchet (on the one prison island or whatever) that was a parody of the Highlander

There is an elite turtle in the Arathi Highlands that is parody of Gamera (sp?), the Godzilla knock-off.

Who can forget the "Lord of the Bracers" joke that human males tell.

I remember seeing some other obvious ones but can't recall them right now.
 
For the Horde entrance to Gnomeregan, there's the whole Chief Engineer Scooty, his teleporter, and Away Team Member Sprok thing.

There's also an item "The One Ring" -- with the tooltip "Not quite as good as the Two Ring."
 
There are two NPCs in the undercity Tyler and ... damn I forgot (edward norton in fightclub)

anyway they are a reference to fight club.
 
Staff of Jordan, reference to the SOJ from d2.

The honzo sword was probably meant to be from kill bill, but i read that honzo was actually some ancient asian warlord or something and kill bill took it from that ancient mythology and it's in lots of books and stuff too i guess.

lots more that i can't remember.
 
Farmer Kent is walking around in SW too :p

Egan's Blaster ... gun used to free spectral citizen (read : ghosts) in stratholme
 
my all time favorite is the quest: "i wouldn't touch you with a 40 foot pole..." and you have to kill an elite called tne Greench.

then there's the robot that goes around saying "we can make him better, we have the knowledge, we have the magic..." and he also says "someday i'll be a real boy!"
 
If everyone is truly interested in this topic, I would suggest checking the actual WoW forums (general section) as there is a thread over 30 pages long devoted to this same content.

I couldn't post here w/o adding a few of my own:

innkeeper in brill (or was it UC): Norman Bates (psycho)

item: Wirt's Third Leg (diablo ref)
 
There is an Old Teamster's Skull that you can find while fishing. The reference on it is...Looks like someone didn't like this guy.

http://www.thottbot.com/?i=2978

I have the Six Demon Bag, it's worthless. Nice reference but just stupid.

There's an NPC in Stranglethorn Vale named Hemet Nesingwary. If you rearrange the letters you get Ernest Hemingway. After you compete his quests you get a Hunters Rifle.

Sword of Omen - Thundercats reference

http://wow.allakhazam.com/item.html?witem=6802
 
bonkrowave said:
There are two NPCs in the undercity Tyler and ... damn I forgot (edward norton in fightclub)

anyway they are a reference to fight club.

I think it might be Tyler and Edward, one of the female spectators is called Marla, I laughed out loud when I happened upon them.

And I had met Hin Denberg moments earlier.
 
The last names of the 3 bankers in Stormwind are Olivia, Newton, and John respectively.

There is a named panther you have to kill in Stranglethorn Vale whose name is very close to Bagheera (it's like ba' gira or something) which is the panther from The Jungle Book.

There are so many pop cultural references everywhere you turn in this game it's just one of the many things that make it so great.
 
MrWolf710 said:
The last names of the 3 bankers in Stormwind are Olivia, Newton, and John respectively.

There is a named panther you have to kill in Stranglethorn Vale whose name is very close to Bagheera (it's like ba' gira or something) which is the panther from The Jungle Book.

There are so many pop cultural references everywhere you turn in this game it's just one of the many things that make it so great.

Just make sure to not Name your character after a pop culture reference, or you will have it changed.

hypocrisy For teh win!
 
Theres a quest in un'goro that is called "Chasing Am-e" where you have to find a guy's mechanical Ape that he sent to study apes. This is a double reference, first to the movie Congo, where the talking ape was named "Amy" and second to the Kevin Smith movie "Chasing Amy".
 
a giant turtle named "gamura"(Ok I misspelled it) in black fathom depths
a quest called the scrimshank redemtion
the linken quests

theres a ton more, bt those came off the top of my head.
 
The Linken Quests in Un'Goro are a shout out to the Zelda games. One of the rewards for the Linken quest is Linken's Boomerang :)
 
The one that made me laugh the hardest wasent an ovious one.

Thundercats blooper reference: There's a quest in Ratchet a goblin gives where you have to repair a 'Samophlange'. The goblin even says 'Now what the heck is a samophlange?' in the quest description.
 
Harkamus said:
The old Blizzard game, The Lost Vikings, has an homage in WoW. I forget what cave/dungeon, but the Erik, Baleog, and Olaf are there.
.

ITs ZF
 
Theres a quest where you have to cluck to a chicken in westfall to get the quest. In the end of the quest you get a pet chicken. That counts right?
 
Back
Top