Best/Worst Launch Titles

Mabu

Limp Gawd
This doesn't seem to be an oft-discussed topic, but with the recent launch of the PS Vita and its solid launch line-up, I'm wondering what other people's opinions are on their best/favorite, and even worst/despised, titles that launched alongside new hardware. While I presume that this will most likely be a home and handheld console-oriented discussion, I'm sure there's other stuff out that from the early days of PC gaming.

For me, 3 games come to mind as the best launch titles of all time:

Dreamcast - SoulCalibur: For the first time in my life, I was able to play a console game that was able to deliver graphic fidelity surpassing that of its arcade counterpart. The fact that the developers were able to squeeze that much out of a launch title was simply amazing. 12½ years later and the game STILL looks decent.

Nintendo 64 - Mario 64: "Itsa' Me, Mahrio!" I was hooked from the very first time that guido plumber's oversized, floating noggin uttered those words. Controlling Mario in 3 dimensions with the revolutionary implementation of the N64s analog stick was pure bliss.

SNES - Super Mario World: While I didn't own an SNES at launch, SMB is still as playable today as it was twenty years ago. To this day, I still hold it as the epitome of 2d platforming.

And I know that there's plenty of clunkers out there as well, though Mortal Kombat Gold for the Dreamcast was the only one that truly disappointed me. Controls were jerky, graphics were merely ok, especially when compared to SoulCalibur, and the sound was atrocious. After having spent many a loving hour on the various MK games in the past, I was completely let down by the steaming pile of crap that was this series' first foree onto the then-next generation of console gaming.

Soul Calibur is really no big surprise given that the arcade ran on a Namco System 12 board (itself PlayStation-based) and the Dreamcast version was running on hardware similar to NAOMI though with half the RAM and VRAM as NAOMI.

However, at the time, it was very beautiful indeed.

And I have Super Mario World on Wii Virtual Console. Brings back memories, especially the music.

Ah ok I got one.

Gamecube launched with luigis manson and,,,thats about it. Horrid idea for a launch I don't know wtf they were thinking. I had bought Gamecube launch and ending having to wait months for the only game I wanted which Eternal Darkness Then forever for Resident Evil Rebirth.

I loved the gamecube but they really should have held back a bit. Although I think they pushed it for christmas and that said they should have atleast ported Mario 64 or given people a few more good games to play. It never really recovered despite having a great catalog.

My favorite Launch Title is Resident Evil Code Veronica for dreamcast. It wasn't a US launch title I had to order it from Japan and actually mod my dreamcast to play non-US titles(not backups). I kid you not a literally just took it apart and screwed around with the disc drive and it magically worked. Still works actually. Code veronica had all japanese text but most of the game was Audio so I had a little japanese memorized and slogged my way through.

Worst: Duck Hunt (NES). Damn what a POS game that got old fast.

Best: SSX (PS2), Super Mario World (SNES), Mario 64 (N64)

Altered Beast which came with my Sega Genesis was pretty good.

Also Tetris came with the Gameboy and it was quite fun on the original handheld, might've even been the best game in the library which I played.

Worst pack-in title I ever played on a console was Sewer Shark for the SegaCD.

Altered Beast which came with my Sega Genesis was pretty good.

Also Tetris came with the Gameboy and it was quite fun on the original handheld, might've even been the best game in the library which I played.

Worst pack-in title I ever played on a console was Sewer Shark for the SegaCD.

• Altered Beast was great.
  • Super Mario World.
  • PS3 - Resistance: Fall of Man was pretty solid.
  • Totally agreed on Sewer Shark, but I think Bram Stoker's Dracula takes the cake for the SegaCD. I still have Keanu Reeves' dying digitized voice pop up from my sub-concious sometimes. What a piece of thrown-together trash. Wow, we can do live action video now -- we can totally forget about gameplay.
10 points for any one who remembers this one (on the tip of my tong: it's killing me...). It was a video game system that you attached to your VCR. The only game I remember playing was this god awful pre-CGI Terminator-esque game where you would shoot targets on the screen (I think it was based on TV show). Any one remember this, cause this game surely takes the cake for the worst launch title?

Edit: After an hour of searching... Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future on the Action Max. Great kids show, awful launch game (and game system).

Behold:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M678PVOf5F0

Last edited:
Uncharted Golden Abyss was a solid Vita launch title. I couldn't put it down.

Finally, other people who agree with me on Altered Beast!

I was laughed out of town at work when I said it was a great game!

Who's laughing now?!

Sega Saturn was unpleasant. I bought one and walked out with Daytona USA I think. It was a rough first year.

I loved the GC launch. I remember getting a bundle that included the system and Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race and Star Wars Rogue Leader.

Sega Saturn was unpleasant. I bought one and walked out with Daytona USA I think. It was a rough first year.

I got the 3 pack of Daytona Virtua cop and Virtua Fighter 2. I was happy as a clam. absolutely loved all three.

That I've played...
Best:
Super Mario World, Mario 64, Rogue Leader, Halo, Jet Radio Future, Condemned, Twilight Princess, Castlevania Circle of the Moon
Bad:
Red Steel, or really most stuff on the wii, most 3ds games

I'm sorry, but altered beast is an awful game.

Last edited:
Best?

Super Mario World (SNES)
Tetris (Game Boy)
Super Mario Bros (NES)

Yes, I'm focusing on the US launch titles.

Halo for xbox was about the pinnacle of launch titles for a console. It basically singlehandedly wrested control of the console market from the ps2. Some of my favorite gaming memories of all time are still lan parties at friends houses with 16 people playing ctf on blood gulch.

Halo for xbox was about the pinnacle of launch titles for a console. It basically singlehandedly wrested control of the console market from the ps2. Some of my favorite gaming memories of all time are still lan parties at friends houses with 16 people playing ctf on blood gulch.

Still mad at Microsoft for buying bungie and moving this game to consoles. Only because I was watching the game for a good two years and couldn't wait for the PC release.

Gotta hand it to them though, they took a big risk getting Halo as a launch title for the excrement box and it paid off.

Good 'ol Super Mario Brothers takes the cake in my eyes.

The original Playstation had a pretty killer line-up, too:
Toshinden, Warhawk, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Jumping Flash, etc.

Still mad at Microsoft for buying bungie and moving this game to consoles. Only because I was watching the game for a good two years and couldn't wait for the PC release.

Gotta hand it to them though, they took a big risk getting Halo as a launch title for the excrement box and it paid off.

I wanna say they still took a massive loss on the original xbox but bill gates said he expected it to happen as part of getting their foot in the door. Quality wise I still think the original xbox was better built. my 1.0 xbox is still running. Original DVD drive too. My PS2 (sch-3000 granted) has had to be repaired twice and I just recently had to reset the laser again. My Sony Discman from 1994 still works fine.

Last edited:
SNES: Mario World and FZero (I seem to remember this being a launch game)

Saturn: panzer dragoon, virtua fighter, Daytona USA, Bug!

Dreamcast: Soul Calibur

I still think as a complete launch, the Dreamcast had the best lineup. I preordered mine through TRU and around 6 games. I got Hydro Thunder, Sonic Adventure, Ready 2 Rumble, Mar vs Cap, Soul Cal, and MK Gold. I really liked every one of those games with the exception of MK Gold. I'm surprised nobody listed Sonic Adventure since I thought that game was an instant classic.

Preordering through TRU gave you a limited Dreamcast T-shirt that I still have to this day. Wife has had to sew some holes up but it still lives and is worn weekly for just hanging around the house.

I still think as a complete launch, the Dreamcast had the best lineup. I preordered mine through TRU and around 6 games. I got Hydro Thunder, Sonic Adventure, Ready 2 Rumble, Mar vs Cap, Soul Cal, and MK Gold. I really liked every one of those games with the exception of MK Gold. I'm surprised nobody listed Sonic Adventure since I thought that game was an instant classic.

Preordering through TRU gave you a limited Dreamcast T-shirt that I still have to this day. Wife has had to sew some holes up but it still lives and is worn weekly for just hanging around the house.
I worked at TRU in the video game section during that launch. I remember it was a fairly successful launch and a fair amount of interest. I do remember that there was a bad run of Sonic games which ended with have our units and games being returned :(

When I think about the best launch title ever, the first thing to come to mind is Halo.

Oops, totally forgot that Marvel VS Capcom was a DC launch title. I had played all of the other games in the VS. series on the PS1, which just didn't have the horsepower to truly play those games (due to memory limitations, 2-on-2 fights were possible only if both players picked the same two characters). I was simply amazed at how well MvC played on the Dreamcast - no slowdown, practically no loading times, crystal clear sound effects, etc. It was just a massive, wondrous orgy of sprites.

Halo was destined for the Mac, not the PC, when Microsoft decided to eat Bungie.

Worst: Duck Hunt (NES). Damn what a POS game that got old fast.

I'm sorry, but altered beast is an awful game.

Not sure if trolling...

I second the original Mario Brothers. Everyone was blown away that that game you played in the arcades or at pizza shops was playable...on your own home TV back in the mid 1980s.

just what is appealing about altered beast?? seriously. every time I throw that cart in, I later wonder why its even in my collection. my 4 year old son even hates it and he loves to play super mario bros and other old titles.

SNES: Mario World and FZero (I seem to remember this being a launch game)

Saturn: panzer dragoon, virtua fighter, Daytona USA, Bug!

Dreamcast: Soul Calibur
I thought F-Zero was not a launch title and in fact came later in the SNES's lifetime because it even include the special graphics chip that came later.

f-zero was a launch title. good one, too. didny have special chip, maybe you are thinking of star fox? it did show off some of the snes' mode 7 abilities though.

f-zero was a launch title. good one, too. didny have special chip, maybe you are thinking of star fox? it did show off some of the snes' mode 7 abilities though.
Ahh I see. Yea the graphics were just awesome so I thought it was in the same boat as Star Fox. Man I miss the 16-bit days

Back