Best Wireless/Wired Router

w00bi

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I am looking into a good router that has both wireless connection and wired..

I need atleast 4 ethernet ports, which seems to be the standard, and some wireless for a laptop..

What is exactly the best?

By and far, the Linksys WRT54g has proven the most succesfull and reliable out of many wireless routers. Very easy to setup and maintain, alot of options and features for a consumer grade router, VERY popular with 3rd party firmware makers, so you have your options of flashing the router to very flexible and powerful 3rd party firmware, if you so desire.

Mine has gone through gigs of movie and pron downloads, music, games ect..ect.. and it just keeps on going. The wireless is also very stable and good range. Make sure you flash with the newest firmware, as it adds more security features and stablity.

Plus, Linksys is now owned by Cisco, so nothing but good can come from that. ;)

IceWind said:
Plus, Linksys is now owned by Cisco, so nothing but good can come from that. ;)

well, other than more proprietary BS. other than that, cisco makes good stuff. i just wish home routers came with a web AND cli configuration. and it would kick ass if juniper made a home router. their routers rock!

Can't you just search? There's a thread like this every week.

In a nutshell -- all major brands are currently good. Each one will have proponents and detractors here. Flashing firmware is the nominal solution to problems encountered. When in doubt, read the manual.

Back