Best wireless setup options

AthlonXP

Fully [H]
Hey guys, just wondering if I could get some suggestions on wireless Routers and access points for a pretty big house. I figure the best option would be to put the router on the middle floor if possible and 2 repeaters on the floor above it and one below it. I wanted to get some suggestions on best possible routers and access points, or if getting signal boosting antenna's is a better option.

It's impossible to say, without doing a site survey of the house and trying a few different things. Dunno material of house, construction, how big, how many walls, electronics and metal, ...adding to this...possible other neighboring wireless networks, etc.

Well its a huge house, now in my site survey, do you guys have any suggestions on what i should look for??

I recently slapped a 5dbi antenna on my Netgear router and also switched it to channel 13 (legal in the UK). I now have a super strong channel that no one uses all to myself.;)

I now have solid signal though the house for a very small outlay. No need to repeaters etc.

The benefit of the better antenna is its on a cable itself so it can be better postioned than the router.

You can get up to 7dbi+ ones for indoor use. The standard router ones are usualy 2dbi.

Well its a huge house, now in my site survey, do you guys have any suggestions on what i should look for??

How many other wifi networks you can pick up and what channels they are on would be some good information to know.

http://www.ubnt.com/picostation

I'd get one of these in the HP version. With it centered in my 3200sq foot house, I can get a signal everywhere in my house, and get a decent signal a few doors down on the neighbors main floor as well. I'd try that first, and go from there if you have coverage issues.

Back