Best Wireless router for this application?

Mr34727

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey I need some suggestions. I will be living in a location that only has wireless internet for the summer- no ethernet ports. The network is a WEP wireless G network.

I am looking for the fastest router possible that will allow me to take that wireless signal and supply it to all my devices. Preferably, I would like to take the wireless, and then repeat it as my own private network (new SSID and key), so I can have my NAS and everything on it like I would if the router was hardwired. I am guessing I need a DD-wrt compatible router for the bridge idea, but I am not sure.

Really I am trying to avoid my router being the bottleneck of this, because even standard G is going to feel terribly slow moving from a T3 hardwire.

Possibly get an outdoor antenna also, to capture a better signal? I am not sure, any ideas with experience would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to keep this "project" under $200.

Thanks!

You could buy a EnGenius 9550 and set it into repeater mode, however you won't be able to change the ssid etc etc, just repeat it and make it stronger for your self

You could buy a EnGenius 9550 and set it into repeater mode, however you won't be able to change the ssid etc etc, just repeat it and make it stronger for your self

This would work if your okay with that, the other thing you could do is get something like a WRT-54GL or some router that'll run DD-WRT and set it up in client-bridge mode and then have ethernet to all your stuff. If you do what I'm suggesting though you'll have to get another wireless router to work as an AP since the WRT-54GL won't be able to do both client-bridge and act as an AP.

Ok, so you are saying-

Wifi->Router A as repeater->Hardwire router B to A to send my own network?

I think that may work ok- I should be able to then use Router A for just internet access for updating drivers on laptops, ect. Then use Router B for my desktop, T60 docking station, and NAS (dual ethernet)

I wish there was one router that could do all this, but I am pretty much finding that I wont be able to take in the wifi and retransmit with a different SSID and key.

For google'rs-

I picked up a wndr3700 and flashed it to dd-wrt. Used it in client mode to pick up the wireless signal, then used my existing trendnet N router plugged into a lan port to get a local network.

Back