Best windows RAR/ZIP decompressor

I like WinRAR because it does just about every type of archive you can find.

WinAce is the best, bar none. Best compression, speed, and support.

"WinAce is not just another archiving shell. With it's own powerful compression format ACE and built-in support for other popular compression types like ZIP, RAR and MS-CAB (to name a few), WinAce could actually become the only archiver you need.

The feature list of WinAce includes:

compression of the following formats: ACE, ZIP, LHA, MS-CAB, JAVA JAR
decompression of: ACE, ZIP, LHA, MS-CAB, RAR, ARC, ARJ, GZip, TAR, ZOO, JAR
multi-volume (disk spanning) archives for ACE, ZIP, CAB
self-extracting archives (SFX) for ACE and ZIP
password encryption & recovery records for data protection
Integrity check for ACE, ZIP, LHA, MS-CAB, RAR, ARC, ARJ, GZip, TAR, ZOO, JAR
Repair functionality for ACE and ZIP archives
Authenticity verification for ACE archives
comment files in HTML, ANSI or ASCII for ACE- and ZIP-Archives
full command line access (compatible with DOS ACE)
detailed information for all archive types
Quickviewer for graphic files, Word Documents, HTML pages and ASCII files
full drag&drop support
complete file-management (copying, moving and deleting of files and directories)
optimization of existing archives
access to your archives in Windows Explorer and via the context menu (shell extension)
table of contents in the "Properties" panel of ACE and ZIP files (shell extension)
... and so much more!"

7-zip is powerful (and can't beat the price!) but I use winrar as it's easier to use imo.

Another vote for WinRAR, though I must say 7-zip offers awesome compression.

I just use WinRAR these days. The UI for 7Zip is seriously laking functionality. WinACE is great but it is kind of bloated. WinRAR is simple, functional, and uncluttered.

WinRAR. Period.

They'll be adding (or might have done it already) 7-Zip support for future versions.

bb

I've used winzip, winrar, and 7z; currently, my personal fave is 7z, due to its legal/freeness. Winrar is a great tool, and the UI is certainly just plain better than 7z, but it isn't free (although the trial version will never expire, which is a questionable system at best...) and the 7z compression is more effective in my experience.

Winzip was great when everybody used .zip, when windows didn't have built-in zip support, and when it was completely free.

(As a side-note, I'll be honest; I haven't always used 100% legal software, but I recently switched to 100% legal and I really do feel a lot better:))

since I have WINRAR I havent really had the need to trial other aps

I'd like to say 7-zip from an opensource respect, but with the last couple of versions I have been having a lot of problems doing rar files (multiple rar to an iso) and have had to switch to winrar, which has been working very well.

Worth the cash.

Question for 7-zip users does it have right click menus like winrar?

When you say "can" that means somthing must be done to enable it? If so is it simply in some menu some where? I am tempted to download and use 7-zip if it has the right click menus.

Darakian said:
When you say "can" that means somthing must be done to enable it? If so is it simply in some menu some where? I am tempted to download and use 7-zip if it has the right click menus.

By default 7-Zip installs with context menu support, it's during the install process. If for some reason it's not, you can just open up the 7-zip program and enable it in preferences.

IZArc for me.

Yep, it has Explorer context menus, an easy GUI, and pretty wide format support - 7-ZIP, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BIN, BZ2, BZA, C2D, CAB, CDI, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, IMG, ISO, JAR, LHA, LIB, LZH, MDF, MBF, MIM, NRG, PAK, PDI, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ, UUE, WAR, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, ZOO.

IZArc for me as well. It's basically 7-Zip + more. It's also free.

I'll third IZArc. It supports every format that I know of and has a nice interface and context support. I used to use 7-zip.

Im lookin for everyones favorite/fastest RAR program

Thanks

I know this is an old thread, but to address the OP's question of fastest decompression software (for RAR extension compressed files). I have found 7-zip (~11 minutes) to be substantially faster than WinRAR (estimated at over an hour by WinRAR) to decompress a 6 file (spilt into 1.5GB files) compressed archive, decompressed size = ~70GB (90% compression achieved in archive). Original compression program used was WinRAR using FAST compression option.

System used:
Core i7 X920 (2.0 GHz) laptop
Source drive: Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (hybrid SSD drive)
Destination drive: Corsair Force F240GB (SSD drive)

7-zip.. easy choice. small app. does everything.. and is free.

I use ExtractNow for unpacking my torrent stuff. mainly because it will let you queue up a ton of stuff (no other app will do that)

for actually creating rar/zip I use WinRar

WinRAR forever... even years later. ;) A few extra bytes - or even a lot - when dealing with 7Zip just ain't enough to get me to use it. WinRAR just gets it done for me the way I'm used to and prefer.

Holy thread necromancy, Batman! :D

7zip hands down, as already mentioned. Winrar is good too, but 7zip is 100% free.

I've never paid for WinRAR, just for the record: no, it's not pirated, I simply signed up for one of the TrialPay offers, got some movies from Blockbuster Online years ago, got WinRAR for free (by way of the registration code which is good for future updates as well), then cancelled the Blockbuster Online sub - didn't cost me a cent anywhere down the line.

I'm just sayin... ;)

27884212.jpg

Back