Best Windows 8 Start Button Program

atrance5

2[H]4U
Whats the best Program that brings back the start button? I know theres a few out there.

I preferred Startisback. Win 7 Explorer for 8 I think is good too, but it removes some Windows 8 stuff you need.

Do those programs restore a real Start menu or merely an ad for Windows apps?
Startisback is very close to the original, with some additional options for more configuration over the default. The only one that actually restores a genuine Start Button is the Win 7 Explorer for 8, because it actually replaced Windows 8 explorer.exe with Windows 7 explorer.exe. But like I said, some of the Windows 8 stuff doesn't work afterwords. It's hard to explain until you try it.

Another endorsement for StartIsBack. Its the most 'true to the original' type of Start Menu.

I've tried all the others and I just found them to be overkill for what I wanted.

I haven't tried StartIsBack, and I've been using Start8 very successfully.

I believe Start8 has a demo version that is time limited, not functionality limited.

I'm not sure if StartIsBack has a demo, but if it does I'd try them both out and see what you like most.

I use Pokki

StartIsBack works very well as well but is pay, Pokki is free

I haven't tried StartIsBack, and I've been using Start8 very successfully.

I believe Start8 has a demo version that is time limited, not functionality limited.

I'm not sure if StartIsBack has a demo, but if it does I'd try them both out and see what you like most.

What he said! No, really, I have used both Start8 and ClassicShell and I find that Start8 is much more robust. I liked it so much that I paid the $4.99 to use it. Still, that's why there is chocolate and vanilla and all the other flavors, so try them all and then stick with the one you like.

Installed him Classic Shell I believe, looks a bit awkward ( a bit like windows 95 IIRC ).

He should be good.

If or when I go Windows 8, I'll try a few out for myself.

Classic Shell has worked great for the people I support.

You can change the way the Start menu works from 3 presets (Classic, XP, or 7), and use your own skins/buttons (they have several Metro themed buttons in their forums free for DL).

Can't argue with it being free either.

Installed him Classic Shell I believe, looks a bit awkward ( a bit like windows 95 IIRC ).

He should be good.

If or when I go Windows 8, I'll try a few out for myself.

The latest Classic Shell 3.9.5 implements full Windows 7 style menu and keeps classic cascading style menu for those who prefer it. Your choice. :)

Back