Best WiFi AP/router that can do this...

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking for a router/AP for Wireless-N that'll let me connect it (a single unit) to at least two networks, and have different Wireless SSIDs for each network. Possible? And if so, what's the cheapest one that'll do this?

I believe you can setup the DLINK Dir-655 with an additional wireless "guest" network, which is essentially two separate SSIDs. And they are completely seperate from each other, meaning no access between the two of them.

From the manual:

The Wi-Fi guest zone has its own SSID and encryption password to keep your primary password private, and is completely locked out of your wired network by default.

But none of these 'guest zone' things ever support connecting to an actual separate network, it just provides isolation.

You should be able to do this with any OpenWRT capable router. They're capable of multiple SSIDs and bridging each SSID to a separate VLAN. The internal switch can also be configured such that each port can be on the VLAN you specifiy.

I've set this up on my Linksys WRT300N with OpenWRT. It was a bit tricky to set up since I'm using VLAN tagging back to my switch as well, I think it would be easier with separate ports for each network. Since you don't need to use tagging I think you could do this with one of the easier firmwares like dd-wrt, which I know supports both switch reconfiguration and multiple SSIDs, but I haven't tried it.

If you want native support for this you'd probably have to go to professional wireless gear (Cisco and HP can both do this), but these tend to only have a single physical Ethernet interface, so you'd also need a managed switch behind it.

Back