• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best widescreen lcd's above 20"

badash

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 1, 2003
Messages
148
What is the Best widescreen lcd's above 20"? best as in response time/color etc. I haven't really seen any.
 
because there aren't any. You're not going to find any with such low response time. (e.g. 16ms)
 
enyceexdanny, I thought I saw you posting in another thread about the 2001fp.
The dell 2001fp has 16ms response time and is 20.1" viewable and looks absolutely amazing. sharp
 
Originally posted by J Macker
enyceexdanny, I thought I saw you posting in another thread about the 2001fp.
The dell 2001fp has 16ms response time and is 20.1" viewable and looks absolutely amazing. sharp

But it isn't widescreen :)
 
Originally posted by enyceexdanny
exactly... he was looking for a 20"+ LCD with 16:9 aspect ratio.

The only place you *might* find something like that is an LCD TV, and then you'll have to cope with low resolution...I think you meant to say 16:10 aspect ratio. And yes, I'm a bastard :p
 
Originally posted by truffle00
The only place you *might* find something like that is an LCD TV, and then you'll have to cope with low resolution...I think you meant to say 16:10 aspect ratio. And yes, I'm a bastard :p

umm.. both 16:9 and 16:10 are widescreen.... :D

but most refer 16:9 to widescreen. Most DVD widescreen formats are 16:9.
 
Originally posted by enyceexdanny
umm.. widescreen format is 16:9 aspect ratio... :D

Oh I know!, or at least for home theater purposes. Which is why I think it's stupid that widescreen PC monitors are 16:10 aspect ratio. Check it out:

Sony 23" LCD
Read 3rd line of description.

Samsung 24"
Read under "High-Resolution PC Compatible"

Pretty much all the LCD PC monitors are 16:10...



EDIT: Ohhhhhh! Caught you before the edit, you sneaky bastard! Seems like you own me with the Samsung 17" widescreen monitor . Granted it says 15:9 but I'm going to assume the 15 is a typo. I'd really prefer if there was a standard widescreen, and that it was 18.5:10 (to fit those 1.85:1 movies without any zooming/stretching/black bars), but even 16:9 is better because it is closer to that 1.85.
 
Apple studio displays are all excellent. Their 23" is amazing. So is their 20". You won't find any info on response time. Not that that's such a big deal -- as anyone who has ever worked with the cinama displays can testify to their quality and ability to handle animations, etc etc. For the most part, response time is simply a marketing gimmick. As in the WAY to measure that number not only differ GREATLY, most of the times it does NOT reflect real operating conditions.

At home I'm currently using the SGI 1600SW 16:9 LCD. This panel came out in 1997, and even until NOW I have yet to find something that look as sharp -- with the sole exception of the apple displays.

That Sony -- it's CRAP. I've used it, I've seen friends buy it and return it. Stay *AWAY* from Sony LCDs. They are low quality and low performance. Samsung are respectable. I dunno if they are still making that 22" 16:9 screen thou. But from what I've seen of their other LCD screens, they are quite good. Everyone elses are all about the same. My friend has the 20" Dell one that everyone seems to rave about. Personally I think it's a pretty good buy. Nothing amazing. Compared to ANY CRT screen yeah, it's sharper obviously. But since I've been using my SGI for almost 3 years now, the dell doesn't seem all that to me. :p

As I said, the only screen that I envy now is the 23" Apple display. That thing is a BEAUTY.

cheers,

Yass


Originally posted by badash
What is the Best widescreen lcd's above 20"? best as in response time/color etc. I haven't really seen any.
 
haha, I didn't really count the IBM in that not only is it out of the price range of just about EVERYONE... I dun think ANY graphics card on the market right now can drive it sufficiently well in its native 3D resolution -- or at all. heh

I think it's application is super-limited, like in doctor's office or something... for most ppl u can't even see all those pixels! geezes 9 million pixels... :eek:

cheers,

Yass

Originally posted by badash
the ibm looks widescreen:
http://www.monitoroutlet.com/342898.html

heres some sgi ones:

http://www.sgi.com/products/legacy/displays.html
 
I've played halo and a few other fps on the apple cinema display 23 inch.

No ghosting

Here's a shot of my setup

home.tampabay.rr.com/something

just click one of the pics

i was watching maxtrix that day ;p
 
I heard you can run a card like the quadro fx3000 and use 2 dvi cables from it into the IBM and somehow it uses the left side of the screen with the left dvi cable and the right side of the screen with the right dvi cable to make that max resolution. Not that I could or would buy the IBM.
 
how do you use the apple cinemas resolution when most video card only do dvi up to 1600x1200 and that apple needs an adapter so how is it connected?
 
I have a Radeon 9800 PRO All in Wonder. 1920x1200 is no problem in DVI.

Yeah, Apple and some 3rd party companies make an adaptor from their proprietary ADC to DVI. The only difference between the two is that Apple powers their displays through the ADC, DVI lacks that. Apple's adaptor is $100 and the 3rd party's run around $60 I think.
 
Originally posted by badash
how do you use the apple cinemas resolution when most video card only do dvi up to 1600x1200 and that apple needs an adapter so how is it connected?

It really depends on the DVI transmitter on your board. Most ATi cards have excellent transmitters, capable of transmitting UXGA, and many at WUXGA. Unfortunately if you have an nVidia based card it is hit and miss. On a related note, Silicon Image just released a DVI transmitter capable of 2048x1536, that is something like a 225Mhz transmit rate, crazy. To answer your question, I would say any 9500/9600/9700/9800 from ATi is safe, frojm their partners, I can't say.
 
Originally posted by Yassarian
Apple studio displays are all excellent. Their 23" is amazing. So is their 20". You won't find any info on response time. Not that that's such a big deal -- as anyone who has ever worked with the cinama displays can testify to their quality and ability to handle animations, etc etc. For the most part, response time is simply a marketing gimmick. As in the WAY to measure that number not only differ GREATLY, most of the times it does NOT reflect real operating conditions.

At home I'm currently using the SGI 1600SW 16:9 LCD. This panel came out in 1997, and even until NOW I have yet to find something that look as sharp -- with the sole exception of the apple displays.

That Sony -- it's CRAP. I've used it, I've seen friends buy it and return it. Stay *AWAY* from Sony LCDs. They are low quality and low performance. Samsung are respectable. I dunno if they are still making that 22" 16:9 screen thou. But from what I've seen of their other LCD screens, they are quite good. Everyone elses are all about the same. My friend has the 20" Dell one that everyone seems to rave about. Personally I think it's a pretty good buy. Nothing amazing. Compared to ANY CRT screen yeah, it's sharper obviously. But since I've been using my SGI for almost 3 years now, the dell doesn't seem all that to me. :p

As I said, the only screen that I envy now is the 23" Apple display. That thing is a BEAUTY.

cheers,

Yass

Yeah, yeah, Sonys suck, but for the record, I'd like to point out that I am pretty sure that Samsung MAKES the panel used in the Apple cinema displays. Also, if you've ever played an FPS on an Apple cinema, they ghost noticeably, and actions scenes in some movies, like the matrix, are sometimes blurred. It is a great monitor and quite beautiful, but some panels are out that are more capable but are not implemented in widescreen setups.
 
Whoa whoa whoa!!! Ghost noticably??? Games, movies?!

Listen, I own the Cinema display, I own the Matrix, I watch it quite often, there is no noticable ghosting. The 22" did have that problem but the 23 and 20 and below (the more recent generation) is not noticable.

I also game on this, FPS like UT2003, if you start playing that on this screen, who gives a shit about the ghosting you will find on ANY LCD.

Honestly ghosting is noticable on ANY consumer priced LCD display, if you look for it, you will find it.

If you went out and got a 16ms panel, yeah it will look better but this thing is about 25ms, not too shabby, particuarily for its size.

True, I believe you are right about the Samsung but for the price, it's not your typical Samsung display. I do know full well what a Samung LCD looks like as my ROOMMATE has one.
 
Actually I really haven't seen any noticable ghostings on the Apple cinama displays. From watching DVDs and a little bit of FPS. You are probably right about Samsung currently supplies Apple, but as I understood it so has many other companies -- Mitsubishi used to supply the studio display panels at one point, and the relationship really isn't on an "exclusive" basis. It's just a matter of packaging and relabeling. But I do believe that Apple's QC regarding the cinama displays are quite up to par so the quality tend to be consistent.

At any rate if u view the Sony side by side with the Samsung, it looks noticably worse imo. And at a higher price level to boot. That's why I said they are crap.

cheers,

Scheiss
 
Back
Top