Best widescreen LCD monitor?

I want to know which monitor I should buy. I've been hearing both good and bad things about the Dell 2005fpw and the HP L2335, price isn't really much of an issue. Also keep in mind that I will be hooking up my Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, and my upcoming Xbox360 all throught the component (execpt mabey the 360 I think I'll use the VGA cable with that) with Monster Cables. Now I know there are some people saying just get an HDTV but for various reasons that I'd rather get in to I just can do that. Plus I kind of like having all my stuff hooked up to one display, I all ready have a similar set up with my CRT using the Viewsonic Nextvision N6 it works pretty well although the 480i signals are kind of dark for some reason.

well if you have no budget limit, then why not get a sweet huge lcd or dlp or a projector?

Never seen the HP, so can't comment on it.
I own the Dell, as does a friend (who recommended it to me).

I absolutely love it. Works amazing for PC usage/games, and Halo2 looks friken amazing on it. I got it through one of those Dell deal-of-the-day thingys, cost me $500Cnd brand spanking new. Could not be happier.

what are you using to connect ur xbox to the dell? composite or component cables?

IceWind said:
Whats the difference?

when someone says price is not much of an issue and then posts two examples of what he is looking for I assume he wants something generally around that price range vs. lets say a custom 4 panel lcd display that moves 8 million pixels.

not much of an issue implies that it is still an issue

I listed those two LCD's because read on the forums here that those two are some of if not the best. I don't have the much room so a gaint LCD or projector is out, and even if I did I'll also be hooking my computer up too it. And Xeero I'll be hooking up the Xbox with the Monster cable component cable.

what about the Dell 2405FPW how does it compare to the HP L2335 and how is it with the consoles? I was going to asked about it as well but I forgot some how.

Thanks but I'm looking for somthing that'll get me a 1920x1200 at least. Mainly because they "supossedly" support 1080p HDTV. What about this SAMSUNG 242MP I've started to hear somethings about it like it supports HDCP which would make it great for the future but nothing about its quality. Does anybody know if it's any good?

At the risk of getting flamed, I prefer the l2335 to the 2405. I had the dell for a couple weeks and liked it, but could not get used to the annoying "color shift" that others on this board have noted. Even the smallest of head movements made this a very obvious distraction. I found this screen hard to look at for more than a half hour at a time when reading text on anything but white background. I purchased a 2005 for the wife at the same time, and 2005 while not perfect,(bit to small ) has no such problem and is much easier on the wife's and my eyes. Yes, I spent two weeks tweaking that 2405 trying to find a good balance of brightness, contrast, and color settings, and while great for gaming, the 2405 was not for me. So after reading anadtech's review of the l2335, and how it has a bigger version of the same screen used with the 2005, I placed an order for it. When I recieved the l2335 I was immiedietly happy with the screen. I spent just a few min adjusting the brightness and contrast levels and was happy with the result. I can look at this screen for hours a time with no eye strain. Of course the dell is one inch bigger, but barley noticable to me, and the smaller .258 pixel pitch of the 2335 is a definate advantage compared to the 2405 as gaming at 1920x1200 on the dell seemed to show the jaggies much worse with it's coarser pixel pitch of .27 and at least 2x AA seemed necassary. While the l2335 seems good enough without AA for me, or at least until I upgrade my overclocked 6800u (455 core 1250 mem) for a faster card. This is not to say the l2335 is a better buy though, cost me $1089 shipped vs. the dell at $850. As for uneven backlighting, the hp is not perfect and the screen is not as uniform as the 2405 on black backgrounds, although still much more even than the wife's 2005 (she doesn't notice.)

Xeero said:
what are you using to connect ur xbox to the dell? composite or component cables?

My friend has a VGA-out box for his xbox. Well worth the $50.

The dell 20" is only capable of 1680x1050 - this is fine by me (since it lets me game at native resolution comfortably without an SLI setup), if you want it 1080p, that might be an issue.

I have no 'color shift' issues with the 20" Dell, in fact, it has one of the best vieing angles of any LCD I've seen. Again, never seen thr 24, so can't comment on it.

Adm_SkyWalker said:
Thanks but I'm looking for somthing that'll get me a 1920x1200 at least. Mainly because they "supossedly" support 1080p HDTV. What about this SAMSUNG 242MP I've started to hear somethings about it like it supports HDCP which would make it great for the future but nothing about its quality. Does anybody know if it's any good?

thats why I was asking you what size you wanted and how far away you will be

They have 1080p in different sizes.

Looks good "on paper" It's got everything I want 1080p, DVI-D, component, HDCP, but has anyone here actually tried it out to see how it looks?

i don't own a dell but i do know that people only choose it because it is cheap! that's depressing in my opinion. if you got the cash buy the most expensive you can afford, forget about dell.

agree. i mean the one with the best reviews, something with great reputation but not cheap (cutting corners?!), something at $800 or more, low response time, dvi port, etc. i would seriously look at $1000, maybe 1200-1300, if i had the money.

Back