• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best way to test a PSU?

Mr.OppressoLiber

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 8, 2004
Messages
1,123
I just bought an Antec True 430 PSU. I plan on sleeving, but I would like to test to make sure it's not DOA. What is the best, and safest way to do this? I really don't want to sleeve and then find out the PSU is fubar.

Also just a real quick "is this enough power to run my rig" list!

Antec True430 PSU

Asus A8V Deluxe
A64 3200+ Winchester
9800 Pro 256
200GB Sata HDD
2x CD/DVD opitical drives
2x 512 Crucial PC3200
SantaCruz
4 - 6 Fans


Also, will this be enough power in case i want to upgrade (vid card) or add another HDD? I appreicate any help.
 
Short the green wire (pin 14) to any black wire (pin 13 or 15 will do) with a bent paperclip. This should make the fan run, but the voltages may not be very accurate because the load may be too low, so it's better to test the PSU with a realistic load, such as a mobo. Always check the voltages with a digital multimeter, not through the mobo's own measurement hardware.
 
I use a wire most of the time. Even made special pinned jumper when I was doing a lot of PSU work.
ps003.JPG
 
arcanetripwire said:
So, I should basically build the machine and make sure it works before I sleeve it

oops... had things blocked up on my server - now there's a pix.

You don't "need" to build your system prior to sleeving - out of the box, your PSU should work, but if you want to build your system, which you are going to have to do anyway, go ahead and make sure that it all works.

Then, take our your power supply and start the sleeving process. If you are going to use the webbed stuff, then the connectors are going to have to come off (even if they say you don't).

Do one cable at a time - I've even gone so far as to jumper the pinse, slap on some fans and power it on to test as I go.

Take your time, be patient, and you'll do fine. It's not a rush job. The first PSU I sleeved took the better part of a Sunday afternoon.

Peace,
Tim
 
arcanetripwire said:
So, I should basically build the machine and make sure it works before I sleeve it

Actually the extra half hour spent bench testing outside the case is not a bad idea. I never put all the parts in the case until I know they work. Most of the time I’ll even do the OS install at that time. If you have cable problems or other issues, being out of the case makes everything so much easier to access. ;)
 
Back
Top