• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best Way to Setup Optical Out

unrlmth

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
254
I have 1 set of speakers hooked up to my Denon Receiver and connected to my motherboard with the optical cable. I use MediaMonkey for music and VLC for movies.

When I play a movie it outputs the DTS surround or DD and everything works fine.

But for music I'm not sure which setting I should choose. The Denon seems to work up to 24 bit and 96 KHz. Now my music ranges from mp3s up to both 16 bit and a few 24 bit/96KHz flacs. What settings should on the computer for the best sound? Is it okay to leave it on 24/96 the whole time, or should I drop it down to 16/44.1 when I am not listening to the 24 bit flacs?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
You've got all of the equipment connected.

Play with the settings until it sounds best to you.
 
Dolby Digital Live if your sound device supports it, you get the best of everything over Optical and never have to change a thing. Just set your receiver to straight decode (don't know what it's called on a Denon), where no effects are added.
 
Last edited:
Piping your stereo music through a Dolby Digital stream isn't exactly ideal. For quality, you will want your CD audio to be sent through at 44.1, as 44.1 to 96 isn't a clean conversion (mathematically). A setting of 96khz works fine for 48khz, as that's an even multiple. You can have a listen both ways, but I know on my sound card it is a noticeable decrease in fidelity when I forget to set it back from 48 or 96 before playing CD audio.
 
Thanks for all of the replies. I was able to get it to work with MM4 (nightly builds). It comes with the WASAPI output module and will automatically output the correct format.
 
Back
Top