Best way to set up what I've got?

InvisiBill

2[H]4U
I'm in the process of upgrading my Nvidia card to an ATI with built-in audio for the HDMI. I was wondering if I could switch my current setup around a bit for better results.

I've currently got my Classified E759's onboard Realtek feeding my Z-5500 via optical for my main sound. I've also got an old SBLive! PCI out of a Dell wired up to my case's front jacks solely for use with my headset for voice chat.

I just upgraded to Windows 7 Pro x64 and an ATI HD5000-series card. I've got the ATI connected via HDMI to my Samsung LN32B530. The TV does have an optical output.

I did some quick testing with the Win7 Sound applet, and couldn't seem to get any audio out of the TV's speakers or passed through the TV to the Z-5500, but it's very possible I'm just doing something wrong. In addition to the "ATI HDMI Output", I also have a "Digital Audio (HDMI)" item as well, which appears to be the onboard Realtek.

If the ATI has equivalent or better sound compared to the onboard Realtek, and I can easily run that into the Z-5500, I can use the onboard for my headset and remove the old SBLive! (which would allow more options for PCIe arrangement in addition to simply getting rid of the PCI device). I have no problem with the quality of the sound on the Realtek/Z-5500 setup - I don't watch movies on the PC and I'm not really an audiophile. I just want good 5.1 sound for my games, plus a separate device to handle voice chat. If I can get that with the two audio devices I already have in my PC, that'd be great.

ok sorry to be entirely unhelpful but graphics cards have sound cards in them??? :O :O im amazed.
thanks for letting me know that.

Got my temporary 5770 replaced with the permanent 5870 now. I haven't tried doing anything else with it yet, but just wanted to bump this to see if anyone had any general advice for getting this to work.

Back