Best way to Record my gaming.

coffee33

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to: Make PvP videos and stream via xsplit+Twitch.tv (HD 1280x720 is what I stream in and record)

What I don't want: Frame rate dips (I get now using fraps and other fine softwares) or bad image quality (See badicam/xsplit local recording)

I found http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1445-Definition-Personal-Recorder/dp/B005P5UMVM

Would this be my best bet to end all my frustrations and have frame rate lag free gaming (AKA Guild Wars II PvP) ?

Would I also need anything else?

If you know of something better and more effective, please do tell.

Thanks! :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
depends on quality concerns...fraps is capable of bitperfect recording, that device is not. also it compresses in h.264 baseline 1.0 on the fly so it wont be the best quality. but it wont cause lag.

things you can do to improve fraps performance, short of a faster cpu:
- use hard drive dedicated to fraps; not system drive and not game installed drive
- use internal, usb 3.0 or esata. 7200rpm

i wouldnt buy that drive, has 5400 rpm inside, and usb 2.0

depends on quality concerns...fraps is capable of bitperfect recording, that device is not. also it compresses in h.264 baseline 1.0 on the fly so it wont be the best quality. but it wont cause lag.

- use hard drive dedicated to fraps; not system drive and not game installed drive

Ah, makes sense.

So just get a 2nd harddrive for fraps and I should be good? Because I get 30 fps right now soon as I start recording with fraps--I assume it's because it's writing to the same HD as I am playing on.

Ok, I will just get an internal because I love all my usb ports already lol. Ty!

I was asking the same question like a year ago. If you don't want to upgrade your rig then going the hardware route is fine. Let me just tell you that the difference between those non-professional video capture devices compared to their software counterparts is night and day. I think I still have some test samples of them unlisted somewhere in my channel.

If you want to stream in HD, then I wouldn't recommend having a bitrate lower than 3k which would mean you need around 5 Mbps up.

Let me know if you have other questions. Like I said, I've pretty much tried everything except for the super high-end capture cards.

instead of xsplit for streaming check out FFsplit, runs a hell of a lot better than xsplit but its still in alpha stage so it doesn't have overlay support just yet. but even my pos computer can stream league of legends(which is notorious for running like crap in streaming apps) at 1080p with 5000kbps bitrate with my game still getting 90fps where as with xsplit i can only do 720p @ 1800kbps bitrate while being stuck at 30fps. should also allow you to run fraps at the same time if you wanted. as far as fraps goes SSD, or WD velociraptor or even 2 drives in raid make a world of difference for recording.

For recording, also check out MSI Afterburner, it records way better than FRAPS, and also, it's 100% free!

Back