Best way to partition my hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
MEfreak said:
I certainly hope not. It's a flawed line of logic. I haven't heard someone argue a generalized convention was on their side since debate 101 in high school.

I also think there remains a point of confusion in this thread that has been exacerbated by complimentary cross talk from Pheonix and djnes.

Pheonix does not argue that there is zero benefit to partitioning a hard drive. He is arguing against a very small subset of the proposed benefits (strictly data recovery oriented) based on his opinion and experience, and we can take it at face value. He has not claimed that there are no valid reasons for partitioning a hard drive. I can't argue against your opinion Pheonix, because it's valid. I only wish it wouldn't have been presented from the bully pulpit.

djnes has said outright that partitioning a hard drive has zero benefit, an argument that is drastically different from Pheonix's. The argument is easily proven false if a single benefit can be shown to exist.

Now, for the meat of my post - there are several proposed benefits to partitioning a hard drive. They are all contained within this thread. They are not all related to data recovery. I'd like to see each one addressed and disproved as a benefit instead of continuing this locker-room penis showing that's raging.

The claimed benefits are:
  • Segregation of OS and data. Keeping the data on a separate partition will allow the user to wipe the OS partition during a reinstall while preserving data on other partitions.
  • Segregation of OS and data will allow easier backup of important data without wasting backup medium space on irrelevent OS specific files.
  • Reducing the size of the OS drive to reduce the amount of time spent formatting prior to an OS install.
  • Keeping applications on a partition separate from the OS drive reduces the risk that the OS drive will run out of room in the future as space requirements for OS and applications are likely to change (just as they have in the past 5 years).
  • Keeping applications on a partition separate from the OS drive allows the OS and applications to be transferred to alternate partitions/drives as required by space, backup strategy, etc. An example - if the application drive is running out of room, it can be transferred to an alternate drive without requiring the OS to be moved with it.
  • Under limited circumstances with certain backup techniques, keeping the application partition separate from the OS partition allows for speedier recovery of an OS only drive. This is in reference to pbj75's method, and his relatively quick OS reinstall time.
  • Non-windows logo (I'm not sure I understand what that means) programs will store application specific information on the application partition. If the OS drive is reformatted, the non-windows logo application data will be preserved if the applications are on a separate partition.
  • Keeping applications on a separate partition allows an easy catalogue of programs that you will probably want to reinstall after an OS partition wipe.
  • Keeping applications and the OS on separate partitions allows for more flexible backup schedules.
  • Keeping applications separate from the OS reduces the number of read/writes to the OS drive, therefore you're less likely to encounter filesystem issues on the OS partition.
Keeping in mind that the following statements have already been offered to put the claimed benefits in context:
  • Separate partitions will not magically allow programs to function after an OS install.
  • Ease of recovery alone is typically not a good reason to move to a separate OS and applications partitions.
  • Circumstances that allow certain posters to enjoy easy/speedy recovery using separate OS and application partitions are not likely to be enjoyed by all.
Look at how much meat there is to debate. Why on earth can't these benefits be addressed individually and directly?

I'll toss in another question - what about linux partitions? I know it's not what the OP asked. Partioning discs in linux systems is used quite often. Is there any benefit to partitioning a linux disc in a linux system? Is this discussion related solely to a Windows install, or does the linux factor also have relevance?

That is the best post this thread is every likely to see.

And I agree with just about all of it. He presented both sides or the argument. The problem is, you took this thread out of the debate category (where we could all learn something) and you turned it into a flame war by calling me a loser. Read back. When I made my claims, I clearly stated that's why I chose to do for my system. I then stated what was the easiest, most stable options for the OP. Others posted to agree. Several others, not just Phoenix86. But once you crossed the line into flaming, all hope was lost.

Locked because some people can't illustrate their point without attacking others.

The pissing match is over. I win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back