Best way to monitor network speeds? (Need to find culprit)

holdeN

Limp Gawd
Hello. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips. I need a program that monitors network speeds on my whole offices network and who's eating up all the bandwidth or something of the sort. Our setup is like this...

It's an office environment with buisness class cable (i can usually get 300k DL speeds). We have 12 computers hooked up to the network. To a HUB. Yeah.. I know.. not the best idea (i didnt put this network together :p). So thats why I want to find out whos killing the bandwith and taking it from everyone. (A switch would fix this problem, no?). Anyways.. so yah.. what's the best way to go about finding out who the culprit is? Is there a way to see in real time the bandwidth on each local IP?

Any help is appreciated. Oh yah.. half the office uses Macs.. but I dont think this is really a factor?

If you just have a hub, a network sniffer, like ethereal, would tell you whose sending out the most packets. But you should defintly get a switch.

like puck said, get a switch. Is your LAN slow or is it your internet access. You should see some dramatic speed improvements onces you get one.

As far as network usuage, I use something called Distinct Network Monitor to check the network usage. Being that its a hub, it should detect all the packets on the network.

Yah. I dont know it its coming from our side (somebody uploading 2 gig pr0n files) or if its just our ISP slowing down due to other probs. So thats why I was trying to figure out the best way to monitor the overall network..

downloading that program now..

it doesn't necessarily have to be someone *uploading* through the dsl line. Since everyone is connected to a hub, any major file transfer between two computers could kill your line.

Stick a switch in there and then stick a hub between the dsl line and the switch. There you can see if anyone is taking up major bandwidth.

Back